Seattle airport

Cruises alot

Most cruise lines state that your flight can be no earlier then 1130 am so I think you will be fine.

I just flew in and out of SeaTac and was surprised at how huge it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got off the Amsterdam. You'll have no problem. I had a 1pm flight and had time to Uber from the pier to Pike Place Market for an hour or so before taking the light rail up to the airport. Time to spare.

Even Noon flights qualify for the new "Port Valet" luggage transfer program so that leaves plenty of time. If you get boarding pass on the ship along with the airport luggage tags then all you need to do at the airport is get through security and go to the gate. We saw about half the bags in the hallway on the last night with new tags so looked like a lot of people were taking advantage of it. And it's free! :cool:

You will make it, but just be prepared for SeaTac to be a madhouse. One of the most sterile, unfriendly, and confusing airports I've been to. The entity that runs that place needs to visit the Nashville airport and experience its warm, friendly atmosphere and down home hospitality.

Roz

You will make it, but just be prepared for SeaTac to be a madhouse. One of the most sterile, unfriendly, and confusing airports I've been to. The entity that runs that place needs to visit the Nashville airport and experience its warm, friendly atmosphere and down home hospitality.

Roz

Nashville International Airport (BNA) is admittedly a nice and hospitable facility. It is also a fact that BNA serves significantly fewer (under 13 million in 2016) passengers than Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) which served more than 45 million passengers in 2016. Is it possible that this just might account for SEA not projecting the same "down home hospitality" as BNA?

My Granny used to say, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" Of course, she was "afflicted" with that good, old-fashioned Southern Hospitality.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Nashville International Airport (BNA) is admittedly a nice and hospitable facility. It is also a fact that BNA serves significantly fewer (under 13 million in 2016) passengers than Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) which served more than 45 million passengers in 2016. Is it possible that this just might account for SEA not projecting the same "down home hospitality" as BNA?

My Granny used to say, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" Of course, she was "afflicted" with that good, old-fashioned Southern Hospitality.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Then why is this site called Cruise Critic if we can't say anything critical of a cruise ship, cruise line, cruise port or associated facility?

Roz

Yes, Sea-Tac has had some growing pains. 2015 and 2016 it was the fastest growing airport (in terms of passengers) in the U.S. Between the booming local economy, growth in Asian routes and, yes, cruise growth it is poised to move from 13th largest airport in the country to one of the top 10. As Delta Airlines has touted lately Seattle is the same distance from London as Tokyo (within 85 miles). Even adding a second airport option at Paine Field in Everett in 2018 won't slow the growth at Sea-Tac so there are a bunch of improvement projects in the works including re-configuring security to make it faster. Being local and using it frequently I've seen a lot of improvements over the last few years and expect that will continue. With the Port of Seattle operating both the airport and the cruise terminals innovative programs like Port Valet will be a big help for cruisers. Piers 66 and 91 are just big wet airport gates. ;)

Even Noon flights qualify for the new "Port Valet" luggage transfer program so that leaves plenty of time. If you get boarding pass on the ship along with the airport luggage tags then all you need to do at the airport is get through security and go to the gate. We saw about half the bags in the hallway on the last night with new tags so looked like a lot of people were taking advantage of it. And it's free! :cool:

Wow! First I've heard about Port Valet. In the past was always Luggage Forward and was I believe $20 to use them (not sure if per person).. Port Valet offers same service and 100% free. Other ports need to pay attention to Port of Seattle!

To each his own. I don't need an airport to be warm or hospitable. I need it to function efficiently. I have TSA precheck so I can get to SeaTac and get to my gate in less than 20 minutes. Not there to shop or make friends. And it's OK to be critical on cruise critic but know that everyone won't always agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nashville's airport is friendly AND functional. I don't see why it has to be either/or. Make friends? You clearly don't understand what I'm trying to say. What's wrong with having a friendly face at an information booth to help a traveler not familiar with the airport layout or someone unsure of where they're going in the city and how to get there?

Roz

Roz

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Me, I don't need airport staff falling all over themselves to be whatever they define as friendly. I need professionalism and some Anthony's fish and chips and a table by the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Olympic mountains at sunset. That's some great hospitality right there.

So being hospitable and professional are incompatible?

Forget eating fish and looking at mountains. How 'bout some barbeque with someone saying "y'all come back now". :cool:

Roz

To each his own. I don't need an airport to be warm or hospitable. I need it to function efficiently. I have TSA precheck so I can get to SeaTac and get to my gate in less than 20 minutes. Not there to shop or make friends. And it's OK to be critical on cruise critic but know that everyone won't always agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Me, I don't need airport staff falling all over themselves to be whatever they define as friendly. I need professionalism and some Anthony's fish and chips and a table by the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Olympic mountains at sunset. That's some great hospitality right there.

Ditto, ditto!!!

... What's wrong with having a friendly face at an information booth to help a traveler not familiar with the airport layout or someone unsure of where they're going in the city and how to get there?

Roz

To paraphrase that renowned Southern philosopher, Forrest Gump, "Friendly is as friendly does."

Amazing what a good look in the mirror can disclose!!!

I'm on Amsterdam, July 17th. Having sailed out of Vancouver the past couple of yrs, it's been a few yrs since I flew out of Seattle and was going to ask if HAL still offers Luggage Direct (I think that is what it was called). You mentioned Port Valet. Is that the same service? Do you know if Delta is included in that? I've always used it before and loved it! I hope this is the same and works w/ Delta too.

Roz

I've been to many airports and I like SEATAC and will be flying into it in two weeks. I hate Philadelphia, Newark and Miami and will always try to avoid them.

We had a horrible experience at SeaTac. Elevator was broken where shuttles drop you off. My husband and BIL both fell down the escalator Only minor injuries No skycap to be found. No one knew how to file or where to file an injury reports. Both of them are over 70 so I was afraid the fall could have led to something else. So I was trying to maneuver all he luggage while my husband and his brother limped along helping each other No one willing to help. My husband said he will never use that airport again

There are one million cruise ship passengers leaving Seattle during the summer. Maybe the huge number of cruisers are creating the problem! The Pike Place Market was packed the other day. It is not like that before or after the cruising season. Maybe the cruisers are creating the problem that they do not like.

To paraphrase that renowned Southern philosopher, Forrest Gump, "Friendly is as friendly does."

Amazing what a good look in the mirror can disclose!!!

What are you implying? I should look in the mirror? I'm a very friendly, helpful person.

Roz