confirm my plan--from Southampton, to London, then LHR

Hi all

We are booked on a 27 day TA and BI cruise next April. We leave from FLL and arrive in Southampton after we finish the BI cruise. My plan is to take the train from Southampton to London, which I think takes us to Waterloo Station.

I just found a decent rate at Premier Inn St Pancras for our stay in London for about a week. I think we can take a train from Waterloo to St Pancras, although I can't tell for sure looking at tube map.

We will fly out of LHR and it appears as though we can take the tube from St Pancras, maybe transfer to Piccadilly line at Holborn and take that out to LHR.

I'm a little uncertain about (1) getting from Waterloo to St Pancras, (2) if we would be able to manage that with our suitcases (1 rolling bag and a backpack each), and (3) then how to get to the Piccadilly line to get to LHR. Or maybe I have this all wrong.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. If it makes a difference, the train from Southampton to London will be on a Sunday, as will the train from St Pancras to LHR.

Thanks

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

There is no direct line from Waterloo to St Pancras so I would take a taxi. Uber would be cheaper, or a black cab from the rank. This would have the advantage of dropping you right outside your hotel, saving you the schlep from the station.

To get to LHR, you need the HEX from Paddington. Either get a taxi to there, or take the circle line from Kings Cross.

This is one opinion - no doubt a local will come up with a better way.

There is no direct line from Waterloo to St Pancras so I would take a taxi. Uber would be cheaper, or a black cab from the rank. This would have the advantage of dropping you right outside your hotel, saving you the schlep from the station.

To get to LHR, you need the HEX from Paddington. Either get a taxi to there, or take the circle line from Kings Cross.

This is one opinion - no doubt a local will come up with a better way.

Thanks. I did more searching and saw that there is no direct train to St Pancras from Waterloo but we can transfer at Oxford Circus.

I don't know what the HEX is--can you explain? I have confirmed we can take Piccadilly line to LHR.

As you say, maybe a local will see this and throw me a lifeline :) (although I think you are a lot more local than I!)

ML

After researching the relevant train stations, have you tried comparing it with the bus option using National Express? We always use it for points LHR, London (Victoria Station), and Southampton. In case you haven't, you can start checking here:

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/nxbooking/journey-list?journeyType=single&departureStopId=65136&destinationStopId=57366&departureDate=02%2F07%2F2017&departArrive=DepartAfter&outboundTime=19%3A00&returnDate=%2F%2F&departArriveReturn=DepartAfter&returnTime=00%3A00&adults=0&children=0&seniors=0&infants=0&disabled=0&euroAdults=1&euroChildren=0&euroSixtyPlus=0&euroInfants=0&usingCoachCard=false&familyCards=0&youngPersonCards=0&seniorCards=0&disabledCards=0&partnerId=NX&campaignId=DEFAULT&waiting=true&fromlocname=southampton-(coach-station)&tolocname=london-victoria-coach-station&fulloutdate=2017-07-01&fullreturndate=2017-07-01&request_locale=en

There are many Premiere Inn location choices, like the Holiday Inn.

Hi easyboy

Maybe I am missing something but I thought national Express was to go directly from Southampton to LHR? We are going to stay in London for a week after we get off the cruise in Southampton, so I am working the intermediate stops for our hotel and then LHR.

Thanks

ML

Hi easyboy

Maybe I am missing something but I thought national Express was to go directly from Southampton to LHR? We are going to stay in London for a week after we get off the cruise in Southampton, so I am working the intermediate stops for our hotel and then LHR.

Thanks

ML

On the link I gave, do a mock booking from Southampton to Victoria coach station. Victoria is in London and it is where we take the bus from London to Southampton when going to the cruise after a pre-cruise stay in London.

On the link I gave, do a mock booking from Southampton to Victoria coach station. Victoria is in London and it is where we take the bus from London to Southampton when going to the cruise after a pre-cruise stay in London.

Ohhh, I get what you are saying now. thanks, very helpful.

Some great options here, Thanks to all and keep 'em coming!

ML

Three ways Southampton - London

Train - either Southampton to Waterloo (direct and faster) or to Victoria (direct, but slower). For the Waterloo route check out http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk , for the Victoria route look at http://www.southernrailway.com/ . Usually we recommend the Waterloo route. However, if you go to Victoria you can get the Victoria line tube direct to St Pancras (if you are OK pulling your luggage). If you go to Waterloo I second Bob's suggestion to use a cab of some sort.

National Express coach - coach station in Southampton is about the same distance from the terminals as the train station. Coach will be cheaper than the train, but take a bit longer. This will drop you at Victoria coach station, which is not the same as the train station. Its about a 600yd walk to the train station where you can get a tube to St P.

London - LHR, sounds like you are happy to use the tube with luggage. The Piccadily line runs direct from St P to all terminals at LHR. Takes about an hour, but is by far the cheapest way to do it, especially if you have an Oyster card (which I assume you will get if staying in London for a week). Though the HEX is quicker, it is more expensive and you have got to get from St P to Paddington, by which time you would be half way to LHR anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Simon

Just to insert different option .... we did a similar itinerary last year and opted to use the International Friends tour company. They have comfortable buses that pick up pax at the pier in Southampton, visit Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Windsor Castle, and then go on to London, dropping pax off at their prearranged hotels.

That option worked out great for us, because we got to tour some sites that interested us, we didn't have to hassle with luggage, and it got us where we needed to go in London.

Though the HEX is quicker, it is more expensive and you have got to get from St P to Paddington, by which time you would be half way to LHR anyway.

Seriously? It's nearly an hour on the tube to Heathrow from Kings X/St Pancras - Paddington is just 10 minutes.

Seriously? It's nearly an hour on the tube to Heathrow from Kings X/St Pancras - Paddington is just 10 minutes.

Well, maybe not quite halfway, but by the time you've got off at Paddington, up the escalator, found the HEX platform, waited for a train etc, you'd be further along the Piccadily. I suppose it depends whats more important to you...take about 30 mins longer overall (on tube) or spend £20pp more (on HEX).

Simon

Three ways Southampton - London

Train - either Southampton to Waterloo (direct and faster) or to Victoria (direct, but slower). For the Waterloo route check out http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk , for the Victoria route look at http://www.southernrailway.com/ . Usually we recommend the Waterloo route. However, if you go to Victoria you can get the Victoria line tube direct to St Pancras (if you are OK pulling your luggage). If you go to Waterloo I second Bob's suggestion to use a cab of some sort.

National Express coach - coach station in Southampton is about the same distance from the terminals as the train station. Coach will be cheaper than the train, but take a bit longer. This will drop you at Victoria coach station, which is not the same as the train station. Its about a 600yd walk to the train station where you can get a tube to St P.

London - LHR, sounds like you are happy to use the tube with luggage. The Piccadily line runs direct from St P to all terminals at LHR. Takes about an hour, but is by far the cheapest way to do it, especially if you have an Oyster card (which I assume you will get if staying in London for a week). Though the HEX is quicker, it is more expensive and you have got to get from St P to Paddington, by which time you would be half way to LHR anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Simon

Simon

Thanks for this info, very helpful. I was leaning toward the train to get to Waterloo faster, but it might be worth considering just ending up at Victoria Station. Not sure about the bus, but it does provide a great backup option.

The last time I was in London, I used Piccadilly line from LHR to Russell Square, no problem with bags but I did stand the whole way. Which wasn't too bad after flying all night! But the faster trip using HEX sounds good.

ML

Just to insert different option .... we did a similar itinerary last year and opted to use the International Friends tour company. They have comfortable buses that pick up pax at the pier in Southampton, visit Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Windsor Castle, and then go on to London, dropping pax off at their prearranged hotels.

That option worked out great for us, because we got to tour some sites that interested us, we didn't have to hassle with luggage, and it got us where we needed to go in London.

flamomo

This is an interesting option. We would like to see Stonehenge and can't check in until 2 pm anyway. I agree these are sites we want to see anyway.

Do you have a link? I'll google them but it always nice to get the correct links from experienced users :)

Thanks

ML

Well, maybe not quite halfway, but by the time you've got off at Paddington, up the escalator, found the HEX platform, waited for a train etc, you'd be further along the Piccadily. I suppose it depends whats more important to you...take about 30 mins longer overall (on tube) or spend £20pp more (on HEX).

Simon

We're haven't booked flights yet, so I'm not sure which option will work best for us, but after reading Bob++ answer above, I looked at costs/times for HEX and it does seem like an excellent option. We would travel on a Sunday, can book online well in advance. This year the price is just over 5 GBP for our single trip. Seems like a good value, even if we need to drag the bags around a bit.

ML

" If you go to Waterloo I second Bob's suggestion to use a cab of some sort."

Bob++ or Simon (or anyone!)

Do you have some idea of what a cab ride would cost from Waterloo the St Pancras (our hotel is right across the street from St P).

Thanks

ML

" If you go to Waterloo I second Bob's suggestion to use a cab of some sort."

Bob++ or Simon (or anyone!)

Do you have some idea of what a cab ride would cost from Waterloo the St Pancras (our hotel is right across the street from St P).

Thanks

ML

Depending on day of the week and time of day, £10 -£15 possibly a bit more if you get stuck in traffic, for a black cab. No idea what Uber would be.

Simon

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. If it makes a difference, the train from Southampton to London will be on a Sunday, as will the train from St Pancras to LHR.

Thanks

ML

Check the train schedules before you book anything. I was under the impression that the train does not run between Southampton and London on Sundays.

As such, I would take the National

Express coach to Victoria Station. You can then get another coach from

Victoria station to Heathrow for your return flight.

Check the train schedules before you book anything. I was under the impression that the train does not run between Southampton and London on Sundays.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I have noticed that Sundays are different. We may end up with International Friends tour, which might solve the problem, but I can't book this far in advance. I think they operate on Sundays.

Thanks for your heads up.

ML

I think you are getting confused here. The only route that doesn't operate a direct service on Sunday is Southampton - LGW (Gatwick airport). Otherwise trains run on Sundays, though often less frequently (say every hour instead of half hour). The other thing to look out for is engineering works. These regularly take place over the weekend and a replacement bus between stations will be utilised.

Simon

Last month we took National Express from Southampton to Victoria coach station, booked online in advance. We had booked an 8:40 am departure however there was space on the 7:30 coach. From there we took a cab to our hotel across from Hyde Park. Took the Heathrow Express train from Paddington, about a 7 GBP ride from our hotel, short walk to the train platform and then a 15 minute very comfortable ride to T2 at the airport. HEX also booked online, about $36 for the 2 of us. Well worth it IMHO.

We would have preferred the train from Southampton however we were travelling on a Tuesday morning and didn't want to risk having to stand all the way to London. Coach was very comfortable however traffic was a nightmare as it was pouring rain....trip took twice as long, also affected by all the bridges being closed due to the London terror attack.

Last month we took National Express from Southampton to Victoria coach station, booked online in advance. We had booked an 8:40 am departure however there was space on the 7:30 coach. From there we took a cab to our hotel across from Hyde Park. Took the Heathrow Express train from Paddington, about a 7 GBP ride from our hotel, short walk to the train platform and then a 15 minute very comfortable ride to T2 at the airport. HEX also booked online, about $36 for the 2 of us. Well worth it IMHO.

We would have preferred the train from Southampton however we were travelling on a Tuesday morning and didn't want to risk having to stand all the way to London. Coach was very comfortable however traffic was a nightmare as it was pouring rain....trip took twice as long, also affected by all the bridges being closed due to the London terror attack.

Thanks for adding this info. I think since we are going in to London on a Sunday, train ridership might be lighter than a weekday. If I am wrong maybe Simon or someone else can correct me.

ML

Yes, Sunday morning there will be few travellers (except for fellow cruisers!). Sunday night is very busy, but that won't affect you. As I said, your major worry on a Sunday is engineering works. Nearer your travel date, say from about 2 months before, start checking this page http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx .

If you are going to Waterloo, scroll down to South West Trains, if going to Victoria, scroll to Southern.

Simon