MSC girl jumps ship: A B2B solo trip review of the NCL Epic!

Bra_BE2014

DAILY SOLO MEETINGS

Don't miss it!

This is where NCL really shines. The idea of designating one of the Cruise Staff members as a Solo Host/Hostess is a wonderful one, and they played a big part in the enjoyment of my cruise.

The Cruise director Scott has a group of 6 'Cruise staff members' that help him keep the dancing and fun going during the parties. These fab 6 took turns weekly in hosting the solo meetings. I had the pleasure of meeting Sheree on week one:

IMG_3790_zps6jdqkb44.jpg

And Morné on week 2:

IMG_3889_zpso1kihmph.jpg

They joined us for dinner when their schedule permitted and helped us getting to any shows and activities we wished to go as a group or individually.

They spent time with us chatting and dancing during parties and favoured us whenever possible, which was pretty cool, lol

The 6 PM meeting were always entertaining and a great opportunity to meet people and make plans for the evening. They have a bar from 5 PM to 7 PM in the lounge so we can chat over a drink while discussing dinner/activity plans.

Each Host has a different style, for example, on week one Sheree would take us for dinner at 7 PM while Morné would around 6:30 PM. Everyone is free to make their own plans if they so prefer.

UPDATE:

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I got a bit delayed, returning to work doesn't agree with me...

I don't want to rush through the review, so I will wrap it up properly over the weekend.

Hope you will find the next sections useful!

Cheers,

Priscila

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy Saturday everyone!

I'm back to talk to you about:

SPECIALTY DINING

WhenI booked my studio, I was given the choice of pre-paid DSC and one of the free-at-sea choices. I chose the UBP for the value (and what a value it was :D ) but I knew I'd want to hit the Specialty restaurants.

I pre-booked online 2 sets of 3-meal packages, one for each week. I really, really wanted to go to Le Bistro, Moderno and Cirque Dreams, the rest din't matter much.

I dutifully downloaded the I-concierge app and made my reservations on the afternoon of the first day. As I wanted the best of both worlds, I left the first night free for dining together with the solos. Unfortunately and fortunately, the solos are even more awesome then I expected so I had to re-schedule my dining. I came up with a plan of having dinner by my self at 5:30 PM in a specialty restaurant and then joining the solos at 7 PM for their dinner, where I would have drinks and dessert, lol, who says you can't have everything? :cool:

Week 1 I went to Moderno, La Cucina and Le Bistro.

MODERNO

I'm Brazilian, so my expectations were way up. And I have to admit, I was not disappointed!

As always, the dilemma in a churrascaria is how to not overeat the salad bar and starters before the meats arrive. This salad bar was very good and had the main Brazilian elements I was looking for: Palmetto (palm heart), Farofa and feijoada. I made a small plate and took my time enjoying it when they put a basket of hot freshly baked Pão de queijo (cheese bread) in front of you, yum!

IMG_3782_zpsjwgk8gwg.jpg

Sampling the salad bar

IMG_3781_zpstqcfp3so.jpg

When I finished my cold starters, they brought in a strange little selections of warm starters. Not sure why they think any of it is Brazilian but I can appreciate the enthusiasm, lol

IMG_3783_zpsxfuvsxy6.jpg

I ate the rice, lol

No point in getting filled up with the rest, saving my belly for the good stuff. And tomatoes mixed in black beans is just gross and not even remotely Brazilian.

I ate my fill of meat but sadly, didn't take any pictures. The filet mignon and the piranha were excellent, I was happy with my dinner.

The dessert was also very good, I chose the Trés leches cake.

IMG_3784_zpsvw9gsxq1.jpg

La Cucina

My least favourite restaurant.

To me, part of the appeal of the specialty restaurants is the piece and quiet. Having to walk through the chaos of the buffet to reach La Cucina didn't help enhance the experience. The restaurant itself is beautiful but I didn't enjoy the food, it was way too salty for my taste.

I had fried calamari as an appetiser, Shrimp for main dish and Tiramisu for dessert. The most enjoyable part was the tiramisu. I was so disappointed that I didn't even take any pictures.

My disappointment grew once I joined my fellow follows for dinner and they were served for free the exact same calamari I had to pay for. Oh well, lesson learned, no La cucina repeat for me.

Le Bistro

Poetry on a plate, it was that good.

I started with the crab salad, accompanied with a beautiful Rose wine by the glass, included in my UBP:

IMG_3816_zpsqltwjtxk.jpg

My main dish was also the best dish I had in both weeks.

scallops with caulli flower puree:

IMG_3817_zpst31lurhk.jpg

For dessert, I had profiteroles with hot chocolate sauce:

IMG_3818_zpsuuxja1li.jpg

Yum, my mouth is watering!

Yum! Good to know Le Bistro, our favorite on Epic, is still giving the quality. For La Cucina, the bread, risotto, and another pasta dish were the best of three different visits. We both enjoyed the panna cotta which appears to have disappeared from the menu. Some suggest getting the steak. Thanks for the time you're giving to the review.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I travelled alone but I met the most wonderful people that made my vacation really special. From the roll call to dancing like there was no tomorrow and 3 AM chicken wings, the lovely solos I met truly were the heart of my 2-weeks and I thank you all for that! Consider yourselves hugged and hope to see you soon :*

Massive hug right back at ya! I'm still on a post-cruise come down and haven't got around to writing a review yet!

I am so impressed by your writing in your non-native language! Completely idiomatic! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree completely!

You're from Brazil, live in Belgium, and write (and obviously speak) English like a native speaker! Truly impressive!

I know Belgium has several official languages. Just out of curiosity, which language do you speak during your work/everyday life at home in Belgium?

Thank you for taking time to post your review.