Opinion on the NCL Brand

CruisingUS

I view NCL as a mainstream cruise line, along with Carnival and Royal. The three work to attract the mass market and offer a similar, but not identical, product. I sail all three and choose mainly by itinerary and price and adjust for the onboard differences. We like freestyle, but the three lines now offer some kind of anytime dining option.

We also occasionally sail with Princess or Celebrity, who (IMO) offer a more upscale product.

My question is who does OP work for? This is certainly a troll type post.

Exactly what I was thinking. But then again, not sure NCL really cares what we think.

They seem determined to whittle down perks and add costs. (Suites now have to pay gratuities :evilsmile:}

Changing policy overnight without warning is low handed , IMHO. Press release 2 weeks after new policy already in place sucks.

Why would you answer focus group type questions without knowing who is asking them. Not the smartest thing to do.

Because I didn't supply any personal info. If they start asking about my age, gender, and income, then I'll start worrying about who is asking the questions and why. If it is simply someone from the cruise line looking for answers, I have no problem with the answers I gave.

Why would you answer focus group type questions without knowing who is asking them. Not the smartest thing to do.

Please elaborate. I've done many paid focus groups and they never tell you who is funding it. Sometimes it's pretty clear, but other times not so much.

How do you view the NCL Brand?

I am brand loyal...as you can see from my signature. NCL works for us.

How would you rate the food? Entertainment? Shows? Value? Service?

Food is pretty good: some things better than others. Some food is outstanding, like the new Food Republic offerings on the Escape. As to the MDRs and other specialty venues, since I don't have to prepare it, I have a very low bar. The buffet? Well...I'm not a fan, but that isn't a food quality issue as much as it is a buffet issue.

Entertainment: love the big shows, adore the crew talent shows, and can usually find one or two of the rotating lounge acts to follow and enjoy. Do not like: over amplified poolside music. Love when they have regional entertainment like they did on some of the European cruises and wish they would do that a bit more.

Love getting out of my comfort zone a bit with the cruise directors staff: trivia contests, learn to line dance, etc. I am not brave enough to try to do the dance contest or the not so newly wed game myself, but always have a good time watching other compete.

Value: well...you have to pick your cruise if you want value. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Service: before the cruise: hit or miss. On ship: outstanding. Wonderful wonderful service from stewards and waiters to hostesses and bartenders . People who remember you from day to day even though you are one of 6000 passengers.

Do you see it as a low end, mid tier, or upper crust brand?

Mid Tier.

What are some particular reasons you choose NCL over its competitors? Is it your go to cruise line you check out first when booking a cruise?

We are usually a multi-generational family and I love that NCL is a pretty multi-generational line. There is no NCL "type" there are people from all over all spectrums on a ship. Young, old, in-between. Gamblers, sun bathers, talkers, readers, dancers, drinkers, on-the-ship-just-for-the-ports, don't-get-off-the-ship-at-all, locals (who commute to the port), non-locals (from all over), dressed to the hilt, flipflops and board shorts, etc. I have never felt like I didn't fit in because there was always someone else like me on each sailing.

Yeah, it's our go to cruise line. The got us with the free style dining, and hooked us with the service. When I flirt with booking other lines, it kills me that they want me to say what time I am going to want to eat dinner on a Tuesday in 2018. I vacation to relax, not to watch a clock. And, I can't imagine more friendly, more able, more amiable staff on any other line, so I don't see the need to shift. They might be as friendly, as able and as amiable, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Oh, and my husband won't wear a tie. Ever. So there's that.

How do you view the NCL Brand?

I am brand loyal...as you can see from my signature. NCL works for us.

How would you rate the food? Entertainment? Shows? Value? Service?

Food is pretty good: some things better than others. Some food is outstanding, like the new Food Republic offerings on the Escape. As to the MDRs and other specialty venues, since I don't have to prepare it, I have a very low bar. The buffet? Well...I'm not a fan, but that isn't a food quality issue as much as it is a buffet issue.

Entertainment: love the big shows, adore the crew talent shows, and can usually find one or two of the rotating lounge acts to follow and enjoy. Do not like: over amplified poolside music. Love when they have regional entertainment like they did on some of the European cruises and wish they would do that a bit more.

Love getting out of my comfort zone a bit with the cruise directors staff: trivia contests, learn to line dance, etc. I am not brave enough to try to do the dance contest or the not so newly wed game myself, but always have a good time watching other compete.

Value: well...you have to pick your cruise if you want value. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Service: before the cruise: hit or miss. On ship: outstanding. Wonderful wonderful service from stewards and waiters to hostesses and bartenders . People who remember you from day to day even though you are one of 6000 passengers.

Do you see it as a low end, mid tier, or upper crust brand?

Mid Tier.

What are some particular reasons you choose NCL over its competitors? Is it your go to cruise line you check out first when booking a cruise?

We are usually a multi-generational family and I love that NCL is a pretty multi-generational line. There is no NCL "type" there are people from all over all spectrums on a ship. Young, old, in-between. Gamblers, sun bathers, talkers, readers, dancers, drinkers, on-the-ship-just-for-the-ports, don't-get-off-the-ship-at-all, locals (who commute to the port), non-locals (from all over), dressed to the hilt, flipflops and board shorts, etc. I have never felt like I didn't fit in because there was always someone else like me on each sailing.

Yeah, it's our go to cruise line. The got us with the free style dining, and hooked us with the service. When I flirt with booking other lines, it kills me that they want me to say what time I am going to want to eat dinner on a Tuesday in 2018. I vacation to relax, not to watch a clock. And, I can't imagine more friendly, more able, more amiable staff on any other line, so I don't see the need to shift. They might be as friendly, as able and as amiable, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Oh, and my husband won't wear a tie. Ever. So there's that.

This is exactly how I feel. Perhaps it is b/c I am more of a type B person. This is the aspect that I miss most when going on other cruise lines.

I wouldn't say that I am brand loyal, even though I have been on the same number of NCL cruises as you have. But it is my go to CL that I have sailed the most with.

I also really agree with you on the mutligenerational appeal of NCL cruises. My parents and sibling are 4 very different people, but we are never bored as there is something that appeals to us (exception is Alaska, but I just personally don't like looking at trees)