AC power in Europe

PaperSniper4

We are taking a cruise to the Med next year and will be staying in Rome for several days. I will be using a laptop, and plug in battery charger for my camera.

What electrical adaptors should I get before I go?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for what to bring on a European cruise, I'd like to hear it. We've taken many US cruises, but never anything in Europe. I'm looking for suggestions not for what to bring on a cruise, but to bring on a cruise in Europe. For instance, the electical adaptor is one, some Euro-bucks is another; what else?

Thanks!

Some hotels have a 110 volt receptacle in the bathrooms.

Does your battery charger work on both 110 and 220 volts? The little plate on the charger should show the voltage. If it works on 220 volt, all you'll need is a converter plug with slots for the charger plug and round plugs to go into the wall socket. If the charger doesn't show the 220 volt, you'll need a transformer.

Most luggage stores, or Brookstones or electronic stores carry the sets of plugs as well as sets with plugs and transformer.

Have fun!

Joek is correct, If you want to use your computer ir battery charger prior to boarding the ship, you'll need an convertor (unless your laptop can work on 220 voltage) and adaptor plugs. However, you should have no issues once you are aboard ship if you are on one of the major cruise lines.

You do not need to get Euros in advance. You are better off getting cash from ATM. The exchange rate is much better. However, you might want to get some Euro Traveller Checks to be safe. You might also want a neck or belt wallet to carry your cash.

Be prepared for very hot weaather if you are going during the summer. Regardless of the temprature, you can not wear shorts, tank tops or even sleeveless shirts into most churchs so be sure to take light weight short sleeved tops and capris or skirts. And comfortable walking shoes or sandals are a must!

We also took wide-mouth Nalgene canteens and filled them with ise each morning. As a results, they stayed cold much longer than the bottles of water sold on the ship.

What time of year exactly? Mid summer can be brutally hot, May and Sept/Oct much nicer.

I agree that shorts are not appropriate for sightseeing in Europe. You will be turned away from churches and religious sites if a woman has her shoulders and/or knees exposed. I wear lots of linen and cotton skirts and capris for daytime, and have a few very lightweight twinsets that work well.

What cruise line are you cruising? Some are more formal in the evenings than others. My 4 Med cruises have been on very different lines that required me to pack accordingly.

Also agree that it is best to get money out of an ATM. Also, I would advise you let your bank know ahead of time that you will be charging in various European cities so that your card is not shut off. I have had this happen when the cc company sees unusual patterns of usage.

Otherwise, most hotels have adapters, some converters. I normally pack a small, multi-voltage steamer to press my clothes as irons are rare there.

Leave valuable jewelry at home.

We just took a mediterranean cruise in September of this year. Let us know the time of year you are going as that is a factor in terms of what to wear.

I started off in Rome as well.

First, check with the hotel to see what voltage receptables they have in their room.

For the camera you will likely need to items. An adapter and a converter. The converter ensures that you do not overload your appliance. You can get both of these items at a Radio Shack Store. I had to purchase some items earlier this year and found that they had a fairly good selection.

In terms of the PC, many already can handle the higher voltage. If you still have your original PC book I would read through that under power. Also, many times on the plug it will show you the voltage it supports.

Keith

The power in Europe is 220V. A lot of newer laptop power supplies will work at bot 220 and 110 without a transformer, you will need to check you manual or the power rating on the powersupply. What you will need is a converter ( Adapter ) that will change the plug confguration to what is used in that country. Most travel stores will ahve a selection of converters along with a chart as to what plug configurations each country uses. NOTE: If your power supply is not rated as dual voltage you will need a transformner also.

If your camera uses batteries bring plenty they are hard to find and expensive. Always take a small umbrella to Europe it will rain at some point. Keep you money tucked away or use a small money belt. I agree with using the ATM's but it doesn't hurt to have some Euro before you go to pay for tickets for transportation or a taxi. Take plenty of bandaids for the blisters you'll get on your feet!

Archived