Moscow in a day Princess Tour

ComputerDad

Has anyone taken this tour using the train between St. Petersburg and Moscow? If you have please answer a couple of questions.

What are the seats like? (Bench type, airplane type etc. Do they recline)

What are breakfast and dinner like? (Box meals, a separate dining car, examples of food)

Can you upgrade to better seats (I am a large person) if so any idea of the cost and if they take credit cards.

Are there additional food options and do they take credit cards or do you need rubles?

Thanks for any input.

I can't answer your questions - but I would do a search to see if there is any evidence of Red Square or the Kremlin being closed the day you are there. Red Square is closed a lot for various things such as getting ready for a parade, etc.... (lots of parades and celebrations there). If they are closed, I probably wouldn't go. Moscow is amazing but I have had closures on both of my land trips there.

Years ago, Princess used to fly people there for the day. Now they are using the trains.

A more important question which you did not ask is how much of the day are you on the train. According to Google, it is 4 hours each way on the train.

DON

According to Princess' excursion detail, 45min from ship to railway station and 04:05hours train ride to Moscow. Really a long each-way trip.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

According to Princess' excursion detail, 45min from ship to railway station and 04:05hours train ride to Moscow. Really a long each-way trip.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Yes, but when will you have another chance to see Moscow. I'd love to hear from someone that has made this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, but when will you have another chance to see Moscow. I'd love to hear from someone that has made this trip.

Moscow is definitely worth seeing! Sorry I haven't done this excursion.

So how much time are you in Moscow. I would not do it.

DON

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=R&exType=S&tourCode=LED-810

I am mixed on doing it. There is enough in St. Petersburg to do for 5 days, let alone the allotted 2 days. If someone has been there before, it may be worth going to say you have been there. Standing in Red Square is just amazing. But it looks like only a few hours there. Similar to visiting Paris from a ship I guess. Red Square is closed so often, it is a lot to spend with the possibility of only seeing it from the edge. Same with Kremlin.

They are comfortable. I would liken them more to airplane seats, and they recline somewhat.

What are breakfast and dinner like? (Box meals, a separate dining car, examples of food)
For us, breakfast was a ham and pepper omelette with bread, fruit-filled pastry, and a bottle of water with tea/coffee. Dinner was salmon, a salad, bread, drink, and a small fruit-filled pie.

Can you upgrade to better seats (I am a large person) if so any idea of the cost and if they take credit cards.
I don't recall this being offered but, if they do, you'd likely have to go through Princess (I doubt it's offered, though, because you're under the care of your guide and they want to keep everyone together).

Are there additional food options and do they take credit cards or do you need rubles?
There are from a small canteen, but I didn't visit it so I cannot attest to whether what was available matched the menu in the seat pocket. However, I can tell you that the breakfast/dinner meals served are the only option included in your trip.

So how much time are you in Moscow. I would not do it.

DON

About 8 hrs or so. You leave around 7 am and get back between 10 and midnight.

I'm definitely doing it. I doubt I'll ever have another chance to see Moscow, if only for a few hours.

My wife and I did a Princess excursion from in 2004. At that time Princess offered flights from St. Petersburg to Moscow. If I remember correctly it was very expensive, in the neighborhood of $1500. We were up early and got back very late but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Standing in Red Square, going to the Kremlin museum, seeing Saint Basil's cathedral, were highlights of a wonderful day in Moscow.

Just got back from the Moscow in a Day. Was there on 6/30. We met at the lounge at 7am and didn't get back on the ship until after midnight. It was a busy, fun, exhausting day that was worth it in my opinion as I have no clue if I'll ever be back to Russia in my lifetime. We did a private tour on day 2 in St. Petersburg and were able to fit in most of the main sites (Hermitage, hydrofoil, Peterhoff fountains and Catherine's Palace along with some time for shopping and a quick lunch.) So I don't feel like I missed anything in St.Petersburg on the first day as those were my priorities)

There are seats facing both ways that are airline type but with decent leg room and a few that are facing each other with a table in between. They are comfortable and you are able to get up and walk around to other cars. You do not get your own ticket you enter as a group. The lines to get on the train are a bit taxing as they check your passport at the train door. Its definitely a day to pack your patience.

Airline food is the best way to describe but with a Russian twist. Both meals are served at your seat via train attendants.

For breakfast, we had "omelettes" which were weird in shape but did taste like eggs, 2 pieces bacon (not-crispy) a roll, and fruit. There was also 3 small so called "cream cheese cake" type things but they were very foreign tasting and not sweet. I only ate one bite not sure how to describe the taste. They also passed out a snack an hour or so after breakfast which was a kind of fruit pie (pre-packaged) Maybe a large fig newton but with berries is the best description. Coffee was decent...

The dinner was fish with an interesting sauce and some carrots and something else vegetable like, a salad with lots of radish and a cheesecake dessert (served a bit after) that was much better than the cream cheese type cake from breakfast. Wine is included if you wish.

Overall its a bit of a change from the multi-course meals or buffets you get on the ship and we were starving by dinner because of all the exertion so the food may have been better than reality. The ship sends you a memo and suggests eating a large breakfast before you get off and I would agree with this suggestion. (They open the buffet early for you)

We also grabbed ice cream as suggested by our tour guide at the Gum in Red Square. If you are hungry they have some other foods there that we didn't explore. We did need Rubles for ice cream but there's an ATM in the mall.

No, they reserve one car for the whole group. You can sit where you want there but its first come first serve and some were disappointed that not all seats offered a good view (windows not at every seat.) There are sporadic moments of nice stuff to see but also a bit of ho hum when you pass by large greenery... If important to you, try to get keep up with the tour guide after you pass through to the platform and if you are near the front, you should be able to get a good choice of seats.

There is a dining carriage but a few people who went there said it was full.

The coffee stop is at a hotel where you pick from trays of cookies, pastries and meat pies along with coffee or water.

Happy to answer anymore questions. Have a good trip!

JThere was also 3 small so called "cream cheese cake" type things but they were very foreign tasting and not sweet. I only ate one bite not sure how to describe the taste.

You are probably thinking сырники (sirniki), which is a patty made from cottage cheese, egg, and flour, with some sugar, and lightly fried. They are not meant to be sweet or salty. Usually served with sour cream.

I love the crap out of them, but they are not for everyone.

Thanks for explaining what the 3 cakes were made of.

I am getting excited about going to Moscow for the day when we go on a Baltic cruise next May. I realize it will be a long day but i think it will be a day filled with lots of different places.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain the tour and the food.So it wont seen so strange.:):)

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the resurrection of this thread.

The other half does not eat seafood, not an allergy, just a choice. Any chance for substitutions?

I noticed that the "Sapsan" train has four different car classes. Any idea which one this tour uses?

TIA

Have not done the excursion...but have been to Moscow twice In fact I had a Baltic cruise reserved prior to my first visit and said to myself, if i go to Russia I have to see Red Square...so cancelled the Baltic and did a River Cruise. To this day Moscow is my favorite city,.....so different from St. Petes...don't miss it....

oops...just noticed an old thread......

Have not done the excursion...but have been to Moscow twice In fact I had a Baltic cruise reserved prior to my first visit and said to myself, if i go to Russia I have to see Red Square...so cancelled the Baltic and did a River Cruise. To this day Moscow is my favorite city,.....so different from St. Petes...don't miss it....

oops...just noticed an old thread......

Glad to see it this morning. Considering another Baltic cruise and this just might be something we would do.

Glad to see it this morning. Considering another Baltic cruise and this just might be something we would do.

I also agree that Moscow is just as an amazing as a city as St. Petersburg. Though - it is so easy to fill up 2 days in St. Petersburg with amazing sites. It would be ideal if you could find a cruise with 3 days there.

I also agree that Moscow is just as an amazing as a city as St. Petersburg. Though - it is so easy to fill up 2 days in St. Petersburg with amazing sites. It would be ideal if you could find a cruise with 3 days there.

We loved our two days in St Petersburg and would love to go back.

most likely would stay there instead of venturing to Moscow. No way can you do justice to a city of that size in a few hours.

We loved our two days in St Petersburg and would love to go back.

most likely would stay there instead of venturing to Moscow. No way can you do justice to a city of that size in a few hours.

I know but some people will never be close enough to see Moscow. I am one who thinks a few hours is better than never.

I have been to Russia 2x and both times, not on a cruise ship. I needed to get my own visa and was able to explore independently. Most people will never get this opportunity.

I agree that standing in Red Square and the Kremlin is amazing and far more powerful than what I saw in St. Petersburg. On the other hand, I found Peterhof one of my favorite places in the world in St. Petersburg. I see both sides.

I've been to St. Petersburg twice, both times arriving by cruise ship and staying in port for two days. On our first visit, we saw all the major sights in the city, as well as the palaces in the outskirts, over two days by private tour. If you've never been to SP, it is a fascinating place to visit with plenty of sights to consume two full days of touring.

On our second visit, we took Celebrity's excursion to Moscow. They flew us on a commercial airline to Moscow, left in the morning and flew back to SP, arriving back on board the ship well after midnight. It was a long, exhausting day as we had a whirlwind tour of the Kremlin, Red Square, and saw parts of the huge city, before having dinner prior to our return flight. Expensive, yes. But an experience I'd do again in a heartbeat. One of the best single day travel experiences I've ever had in decades of world travel. While I'd rather not do this by train as the OP indicated, the time involved in air vs rail travel could end up being similar. The airport experiences in Russia were chaotic, to say the least, but we had a local Russian guide that herded our group of 25 every step of the way.

Definitely recommend a Moscow excursion, but also consider that SP has more sights and, for the first time visitor, it might be worthwhile to take advantage of the time and remain there. A single day in Moscow is essentially spent visiting the Kremlin and Red Square. Much time was spent sitting on a bus in traffic in Moscow. An excursion to Moscow would definitely be in my planning if the cruise ship remains in port for three days.

Whatever you decide, Russia is an exciting country to visit and you will have a memorable experience.

Coral(Teresa, wasn't it?) every time I see a post from you, I think of Russia......because I remember we chatted extensively when you were planning your River Cruise( I had gone on mine a few years prior)..... I can't believe how time flies ...glad we are both still traveling..I've completed all my travel goals..have you?

Edited by land lover