Anyone Brave Enough

babs135

to admit they have sailed with Saga? And yes, I know this is the wrong site but I've got no replies posting elsewhere.

DH and I are of an age that they would let us on board and looking at the ships and itineraries in a couple of the cruise magazines I subscribe to they look interesting. Not much in reviews here or a couple of other sites. I suspect that with the average age of the passengers they are not particularly into cruise forums?

Any helpful advice, even if it's directing me to other sites, would be gratefully received.

The best I can offer is that my Mum cruised with them and very much enjoyed it. She cruised with a few different lines (but never with Cunard) and Saga was one of her favorites. It was a few years back though and she is no longer with us to ask her I'm afraid.

I hope this helps a bit.

Well I'm afraid to admit, :o although I haven't yet sailed Saga, I do intend to try them out sometime next year. However, this is only to experience their brand new ship which I believe is expected to be delivered towards the end of 2018.

The only reason I'm taking a step out of my Cunard comfort zone is, I received a 'sort of deal' ( out of the blue ! don't know how they got my contact details) I had a few days to put down a FCD of £90 ( refundable if not used within three years) and if I decide to take a cruise on the 'New Ship' a generous discount of 20% ....Sounds a bit to good to be true to me, :confused: however, I'll have to wait and see.

The only thing that has attached me to try out Saga, is the complimentary transport from home to ship and of course Wine with lunch/evening meals ;)

Yes we have sailed with them a few times. They have smaller ships that at the moment are generally "getting on" but are well equipped and run. Their cruises are more expensive than the leading popular lines but they offer complementary car transfer to the ship and in our opinion the service is the best we have had. Food is far ahead of Cunard. An example is the cheese board which had around 20 different varieties on offer compared with Cunard's weary selection the last time we sailed with them.

And of course there is the Spirit of Disccovery being built now and on offer in 2019.

If you like smaller ships and the better service and food they are certainly worth considering.

David.

Thanks for that. I'm assuming it's only Brits on board? Nothing against that, it's just that we like a mixture of nationalities.

The new ship certainly appeals so maybe we will give it serious consideration. Only problem I can see is people's reaction when we tell them we are cruising with Saga !! :D

Just tell them, Saga have reduced the age category . At one time I believe the demographic of the guest had to be for the over 50's , I understand It's now reduced to the 40's

It's no longer known as; S A G A. Send A Granny Away.;)

Thanks for that. I'm assuming it's only Brits on board? Nothing against that, it's just that we like a mixture of nationalities.

There was a handful of non-brits on board the only cruise we've done, but I assume that was because the itinerary included the Faroes in order to catch the total eclipse in 2015 which attracted interest from eclipse anoraks worldwide.

The demographic was still predominantly very elderly brits, some doing more than one B2B in succession. I was crippled with an arthritic knee at the time but I was still quicker around the ship than most of my fellow passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

to admit they have sailed with Saga? And yes, I know this is the wrong site but I've got no replies posting elsewhere.

DH and I are of an age that they would let us on board and looking at the ships and itineraries in a couple of the cruise magazines I subscribe to they look interesting. Not much in reviews here or a couple of other sites. I suspect that with the average age of the passengers they are not particularly into cruise forums?

Any helpful advice, even if it's directing me to other sites, would be gratefully received.

Good morning Babs.

No problem for me to admit to sailing for 14 nights on the Saga Rose on a 'Round Britain' cruise in June 2008.

My 'nurse' and I had an excellent time and the most outstanding attribute we witnessed was the way the staff looked after the passengers.

The two real highlights were the opportunity to sail into my childhood port, Milford Haven...

35621728412_db79f45cd0_z.jpg

...when the Captain, having heard my story, invited me onto the bridge.

The second highlight came when we visited Guernsey and a former Naval colleague, a retired Admiral who was, at the time, Her Majesty's Governor of Guernsey, invited us to lunch at Government House. Again the staff were brilliant. On hearing that we were to be met by the Governor, they provided us with our own personal tender...

34981071023_5611cc7485_z.jpg

Food onboard was excellent: one of the few ships, outside of the Grills, that served a decent Dover Sole most evenings.

Perhaps the only minor downside was the open seating dining arrangement: most passengers preferring to eat earlier than we did.

We love to dance and once the evening show was complete we had the dance floor to ourselves: and there was always a gentleman host to step in when yours truly decided on a break (I hate foxtrots).

And finally, like Bell Boy, I also have a Future Cruise Deposit on their new ship, Spirit of Discovery, scheduled for operation in 2019.