All inclusive resorts for scuba?

chrismch

I know this site is for cruises, but I am wondering if anyone has had good experiences with all inclusive resorts such as Breezes or Sandals. We want to dive and have done the big cruise ship experience, but now are wondering about these options. Anyone have any reviews or suggestions for finding reviews of these resorts elsewhere? Would appreciate your input! :p

I have visited Breezes and Sandals on several islands - buying day passes and did not find them to be my cup of tea for much more than that. All inclusive vacation is not the same as dive trip...

However, spousal unit and I have taken a number of all inclusive dive vacations. Dedicated dive resorts offer great dive vacations - but they are not the same as Sandals and Breezes type operations.

We've had great experiences at Sunset House in Cayman - which can be booked ala-cart or as a package with partial or all meals. sunsethouse.com.

Packages included room, transfers, 2 tank boat dive daily (diving days) and unlimited shore diving (good site on premesis). We've done meals both ways - included sometimes, on our own others. Bar tab is extra.

And we really enjoyed similar packages at Brac Reef Resort.

http://bracreef.com/index2.html

Again packages included 2 tank boat trip each day, plus unlimited shore & they would provide transportation each afternoon for a shore dive. Meal plans available and they used to offer an unlimited bar package too...but I believe they've scaled that back to 3 drinks a day... Most packages included one trip to Little Cayman / Bloody Bay. Our first 7 day trip here our total out of pocket expense was the Cayman departure tax - something like $20 each & a tip to the dive masters. NO surpise bill at the end :D oh how we liked that...

I'm not aware of a dive resort site like this - but it is probably out there. You might want to start at the sites for the certifying agencies like PADI and NAUI and see where that takes you. Anothor possible is

tripadvisor.com

good hunting

Oh yah, Brac Reef Beach Resort was really nice, but there wasn't much to do other than dive, eat, and relax. It was perfect for me.

The diving at the Breezes and Sandals resorts is included, but they do lots of resort diving, meaning shallow dives with divers that have little buoyancy control. If you are an intermediate to advanced diver, you would probably be disappointed by the diving. Also, those resorts are WAY expensive.

There are lots of other AI resorts at dive destinations. The diving part isn't AI, but that shouldn't be a big deal. That just give you the freedom to choose who you dive with.

You might want to consider some of the AI resorts on Cozumel once they reopen. They should be quite nice after they are repaired.

There are nice AI resorts in Cancun although the diving there isn't as good.

We stayed at the Kantenah Palladium Grand Resort and Spa south of Playa del Carmen last summer. Would go back again in a heartbeat. There is snorkling off the beach, and a dive company w/boat that launches from their beach. Plus loads of diving ops all around. It is an AI and really a great relaxing vacation. Watch for deals on the rooms ...they can be had! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d295150-Reviews-Palladium_Grand_Resort-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

We have been to Beaches on Provo in the Turks and Cacios a number of times. Diving is included and is really good. Depending on the time of the year you can get as many as three dives a day in and they have optional night diving. All day trips are included in the costs, night dives are extra.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't used them, but every time we've been docked in St. Lucia I've seen the Sandals dive boats very active. It's a bit of a ride to the park from there, but the diving is good. I can't say great, but then I'm a wreck diver and would love to spend a week on Grenada diving the Bianca C.

Archived