Booted Off The EDGE

Hawkstar33

I think most of us know it's not a law. Celebrity's rules are obviously in response to the consumer protection standards afforded to the UK traveler. They are much more comprehensive than those in the USA and other countries. I'm sure most of our UK friends are aware of that.

Although it may not seem fair, there is a correlation.

I apologise, but I fail to see how that correlates to a policy that makes deposits non refundable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is nothing in law in the UK that supports non refundable deposits. It has been challenged successfully in the courts.

The simple fact is that we will tolerate it, you will not. However, my understanding is that it is coming your way soon. What extra protection will that afford you in America?

I think most of us know it's not a law. Celebrity's rules are obviously in response to the consumer protection standards afforded to the UK traveler. They are much more comprehensive than those in the USA and other countries. I'm sure most of our UK friends are aware of that.

Although it may not seem fair, there is a correlation.

Sorry but that is yet another oft repeated myth.

Perhaps you could explain why, if the UK benefits from much more comprehensive "consumer protection standards", Celebrity feel safe in tearing up the contract they made with me to provide a service?

The reality is such protections only come into play where a company fails, or a serious incident occurs, both of which are very, very rare and only incur costs if and when they happen.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

There is nothing in law in the UK that supports non refundable deposits. It has been challenged successfully in the courts.

The simple fact is that we will tolerate it, you will not. However, my understanding is that it is coming your way soon. What extra protection will that afford you in America?

As explained, it has nothing to do with law and everything to do with policy.

If it comes our way they will have a problem getting some of the inflated original prices and even more people will be waiting later to book. Since we will still not have the enhanced protections you do perhaps it will be much more advantageous for you in booking a Celebrity cruise.

It might also be a problem for Celebrity, but I guess that remains to be seen.

Sorry but that is yet another oft repeated myth.

Perhaps you could explain why, if the UK benefits from much more comprehensive "consumer protection standards", Celebrity feel safe in tearing up the contract they made with me to provide a service?

The reality is such protections only come into play where a company fails, or a serious incident occurs, both of which are very, very rare and only incur costs if and when they happen.

You've explained it yourself. They feel safer because they have your non-refundable deposit. It's not rocket science.

You've explained it yourself. They feel safer because they have your non-refundable deposit. It's not rocket science.

Another response that avoids the question, which wasn't about refundable deposits

But thank you for confirming to another poster that North Americans won't like non refundable deposits, I guess that makes them unfair then...

Another response that avoids the question, which wasn't about refundable deposits

But thank you for confirming to another poster that North Americans won't like non refundable deposits, I guess that makes them unfair then...

I never said they were fair, just that it was Celebrity's justification.

Free free market enterprise is a delicate balance between business and consumer. The more protection offered the consumer, the more restriction by the business. The more restriction by the business, the more price consciousness of the consumer.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on one's perspective, it's an ongoing game that we all play. Sometimes the consumer has the advantage and sometimes the business has the advantage. It all depends on supply and demand. Usually the best run businesses find the closest balance in the equation.

It doesn't take much for a wrong move to destroy a business.

We booked Edge for BTB in March 2019, months ago. We book together with another couple each year same time, with Celebrity. We are Elite, and our friends are getting close with 8 cruises, loyal to Celebrity. The Key word here is LOYAL, but seems to go only one way. Edge hasn't even been built yet, and we already have gotten booted for a charter. Sorry for the inconvenience, but somebody bought the whole boat, so you have to change your plans. I guess this is not the first time. I assume I would be wasting my time by saying this is a very unfair practice. No matter if you are a first timer, or Elite, or whatever you may be. Luckily we were able to adjust our plans. They also offered some OBC. Nonetheless, Loyalty should go both ways. They didn't have to charter out the ship. It would've booked full for sure. First come first served.

A charter after making plans is definitely an inconvenience but I fail to see the correlation to loyalty. How is Celebrity not being loyal to you?

If you read the Celebrity Ticket Contract it basically says, it's our ship and our rules. We can do whatever we like to make more money.

They offer you a low out of pocket cost compensation in the form of non refundable OBC for the inconvenience if you switch to another sailing of their choosing and your fare is protected. Otherwise you're free to cancel the reservation or book another itinerary without compensation. That's their rules. Like it or lump it.

A charter after making plans is definitely an inconvenience but I fail to see the correlation to loyalty. How is Celebrity not being loyal to you?

I suspect because of a deposit made implying an intention to sail/repeat sail with a cruise line as a favored option with so many options to choose from.

Any time celebrity snubs one of its guests it's like saying we don't regard your loyalty or interest.

It can sting a little, don't you think?

I just got a notification from NCL that they are canceling a cruise I have booked for next year .. next Sept for that matter so no airfare costs involved as of yet. They did offer to move our deposit over to any other sailing in which we pay the published fares .... and of course, $25 onboard credit which cannot be used to pay any service charges.

So, it happens across most lines.... and when it did happen on Celebrity, they at least offered us other sailings with the same perks and discounts. They were a lot more generous, albeit with less time between notification and sailing than NCL gave us. I am really not annoyed with NCL ... we were considering trying them again as they were sailing into San Francisco ... will just choose a Princess sailing instead. They made my decision easy for me .... $25 is really not enticing enough to make me book anything where I have to fly both ways.

I suspect because of a deposit made implying an intention to sail/repeat sail with a cruise line as a favored option with so many options to choose from.

Any time celebrity snubs one of its guests it's like saying we don't regard your loyalty or interest.

It can sting a little, don't you think?

The phrasing "snubs one of it's guests" and "can sting a little" lead me to understand that you would take the cancellation of a cruise on which you had provided a deposit personally.

Is my understanding correct ?

If correct, I really doubt the cruise line is making a decision to charter the cruise in order to snub customers. Why would anyone think it is Personal ?

It's business plain and simple. It's all about the money.

Loyalty Benefits are detailed in the Captains Club program. Anything that's not in the Program, isn't a Loyalty Benefit.

Curious about this as you posted earlier And as to those that don't live in the US, the terms of your deposits are governed by your own country. Why would you expect Celebrity to treat their client base differently based on the country they come from? They are an American based company.

If I do business with another country, and I do, I understand and accept the terms which are governed by their country.

That is rubbish. Our country DOES NOT govern the way Celebrity treats its customers deposits. That is purely Celebrity's decision to do that. Nothing more. We can use a US TA to get exactly the same benefits as US citizens. Which would be impossible if your 'theories' were correct.

They SHOULD treat us all the same Here are the relevant terms to which we have no choice but to agree if we choose to book a Celebrity cruise.

And in the USDA this is a part of the contract:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

And in the USDA this is a part of the contract:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

USDA?

Presuming you mean USA? In any case those contract terms aren't relevant unless you book through a TA in the US or Celebrity.COM in the US,and the discussion has mainly been about those of us that book/live outside of North America and the differing ways Celebrity treats us.