Cabin Question for Claustrophobic Cruisers

Cruisit

I'm going on a cruise with my boyfriend who is a first time cruiser. I've been many times and stayed in many cabin types and personally like inside cabins. HOWEVER, my boyfriend is very claustrophobic. I can't relate.

So, to others who are also claustrophobic, what cabin do you usually go with? An inside is probably out. But is a window enough? Or do you need a balcony?

My husband is claustrophobic and would not cruise without a balcony!

Why don't you show your boyfriend pictures of the cabins to see what he can manage. IF he has serious issues he may not want to be on a ship at all since he cannot control when he can get off and on while the ship is out on the ocean sailing.

My husband is fine on a ship and can do a few hours on a plane but everyone is different in what they can /cannot easily handle.

I am claustrophobic but do ocean views. Look at the deck plans for odd shaped cabins. I can usually find a larger cabin this way. I go to Cruise Critic and YouTube for specific cabin reviews. Usually YouTube has lots of photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was very skeptical of an inside until we had both an inside for the boys and an OV for us booked. I thought no way could I stay in there. But after spending a little bit of time in there laying on the bed even with the lights out, I realized it was just fine. I could see light under the door and never felt closed in. So my next cruises were in insides and it's actually my cabin of choice.

Just to give you an idea, I hate elevators and when I take a shower in the cabin, I have to leave the bathroom door open. It simply gets too hot in there otherwise and I feel like I can't breathe. Never once have I locked the bathroom door even when traveling with others. It's so bad that I try to avoid using the public restrooms especially the ones where the stall walls go all the way to the bottom. Oh and airplane bathrooms - nope. Not happening.

I think he will be OK in an inside. If not, I would go with a big OV window, not portholes. Those almost give me a panic attack looking through them because I can see the "tunnel" of them through the ship. It's hard to explain and unless you are claustrophobic, it sounds bonkers.

I'll search for odd shaped cabins for more space, good idea!

Our first cruise together will be a short one so he can see if he likes it. Unfortunately not cruising is not an option, he better like it 😂 But that's also why I want to try and get him a cabin he will be ok with, while also not spending a fortune, haha.

I am a terrible claustrophobic. On my first cruise I felt panic just getting on the ship because I didn't know what to expect.

We had balcony room but that first time I was in a complete state of panic just walking down the hallway to our room. It was a scary long tunnel with no view to the outside. I felt myself starting to panic. It took every fiber of my being to continue walking down the hallway. I was thinking "get me out of here!!!" Then we got into our room and once I could open the balcony and see out all was good and I did not have any more panic. At least not until muster drill!

If you are on a conquest class ship you should prepare him for a claustrophobic episode at muster drill (try to arrive later so you won't be in the back) but that muster drill was THE WORST for claustrophobia! We were crammed together like sardines no air flow, it was on an outer deck in the heat of summer but the view outside was 100% blocked by the lifeboats and the way we were all crammed in row after row of people I felt like I was going to pass out from the panic I was feeling. Once that ordeal was over tho I had no more issues the rest of the trip.

I would definitely recommend a balcony room depending on your friends level of claustrophobia.

If I had been in an inside room on my first cruise, I would have ran off of that ship faster than a speeding bullet. I wouldn't have cared a wit about money I wasted on the cruise even. Claustrophobia panic is a real thing. My husband doesn't understand at all either. I guess phobias are hard to understand unless you've dealt with it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also claustrophobic, and could never handle an inside. Wish I could because of the price difference.

I can do an Ocean View, just fine. The windows are large.

Carnival's cabin size is larger than most other lines, as well

I've only had an issue of this sort on a cruise ship with regard to the size (or lack, thereof) of one of our bathrooms. I don't remember the specific cabin and ship but I think it is what is now porthole cabin 2500 on Majesty of the Seas. I think it was something about where it was, right by the anchor, but regardless I seem to recall the bathroom feeling somewhat confining. Nothing like the restrooms aboard airlines or showers aboard long-range railroad trains, but still a bit confining.

If you want to keep the bf around for a while, be nice and get a mid-ship balcony. If he likes cruising you may be able to downgrade to OV or inside in the future. But, go out of your way to make his first trip as comfortable as possible.

Extremely claustrophobic also and my number one need is natural light so will occasionally book an OV room if there are no balconies on the ship. Have also sailed successfully in porthole cabin. But I still feel a sense of unease and tend to avoid much cabin time. The balcony cabins are much more comfortable for me as stepping outdoors is just a moment away.

Mention was made of those long hallways....this is indeed unsettling at times, I would also suggest booking near a stairwell or elevator to avoid those long walks down the corridors.

I was really concerned how I would handle being "stuck" on a ship as we approached our first cruise years ago.

We've done OV's and Balconies and never had an issue with claustrophobia.

Now, if the "abandon ship" command is ever given, I'm not too sure how I'd do in those lifeboats! :rolleyes:

I have heard if you notify Carnival you can go to a different muster drill. I don't know anything about it but I sure would try to talk to your PVP or travel agent to get it arranged so he has a good experience.

I agree with booking the balcony to make his first experience the best possible! Good luck [emoji256]

I was really concerned how I would handle being "stuck" on a ship as we approached our first cruise years ago.

We've done OV's and Balconies and never had an issue with claustrophobia.

Now, if the "abandon ship" command is ever given, I'm not too sure how I'd do in those lifeboats! :rolleyes:

lol! I already made up my mind that if the "abandon ship" command is given I'll gladly take my chances swimming with the fish!!! Just the thought of getting closed up in one of those things makes me hyperventilate!!!

I guess if I was in a situation like the poor souls on the Titanic where the water was freezing and it was certain death to go in the water, I might be persuaded to get in the life clam (that's what I call them since they are certainly not a boat that is open to the sky)

But hopefully that will never be an issue though since I only cruise in the summer months in the toasty warm Gulf of Mexico. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am claustrophobic to the point I won't even ride elevators unless it's an absolute necessity (nope, I don't even ride ship lifts). However, cabins on the ship have never bothered me whether they are inside, outside, or balconies. I would say in an extreme case, an outside is plenty as it lets in outside light.

For muster drills and such........GO to the Main Desk Tell them. Ask them where you can gather with handicapped or other Passengers if you are going to have issues.

My husband is a little claustrophic. he has stayed in inside cabins. One which was in middle of ship. Never complained. One at far end of front of ship.......bothered him.

We get balconies if I can manage it or O.V.

I love the ocean view rooms, especially on Carnival. They are very spacious. More room inside than a standard balcony room even. I have never had an issue with inside rooms and usually book them but lately have been going for Ocean View. It really is more comfortable to me (we have a kid with us so the space helps).

Husband is a huge claustrophobic. He has to have sedation to be CT Scan, etc. We go back and forth on inside and Balcony rooms. He likes an inside because its cheaper, but only if its on the Lido deck, where he can go out easily. Our next cruise is on Royal, because we want to go to Bermuda. We have an inside there, but it has a virtual balcony -- an LCD screen that shows a view from a camera. We will see how it goes.

I'm going on a cruise with my boyfriend who is a first time cruiser. I've been many times and stayed in many cabin types and personally like inside cabins. HOWEVER, my boyfriend is very claustrophobic. I can't relate.

So, to others who are also claustrophobic, what cabin do you usually go with? An inside is probably out. But is a window enough? Or do you need a balcony?

No way could my claustrophobia and I do an inside cabin. At the least I'd have to have a window - but we always get balconies just in case.

(my claustrophobia won't even allow me to be awake for an MRI):o:rolleyes:

I had one episode, my first, in the shower. Fortunately had a balcony, so ran out there. MD gave me valium for my next cruise but haven't had to use it.

I also keep very busy and spend virtually no time in the room. Just use it to change clothes and sleep.

Extremely claustrophobic also and my number one need is natural light so will occasionally book an OV room if there are no balconies on the ship.

I would say in an extreme case, an outside is plenty as it lets in outside light.

How does this work out at night?