Breakaway Boarding Question

Total NOOB question here from a first time NCL cruiser! I've cruised plenty with RCI, Celebrity, Cunard, etc... But this will be my firsts time on NCL. What documents do I HAVE to print to make the boarding process go smoothly? And do I really need to print and staple luggage tags, or will there be porters at Manhattan Terminal to place tags on the bags?

Thanks in advance!

So they don't have porters applying tags at the pier?

I'm looking at the cruise documents. They're five pages and most of it looks like it's irrelevant. Do they just need the bar code on the front page? I don't understand why I should be printing the itinerary and some application for savings on my next cruise....

The porters grabbed our bag and tossed them in the forklift bins. It was so quick that I'm not sure they even looked if we had attached our tags.

Then we had the bar code from the cruise docs scanned and had to show photo ID. (We're Canadian, so we used our passports).

I think we had to present our credit card as well.

They took our pictures and gave us our access cards and that was it.

So they don't have porters applying tags at the pier?

I'm looking at the cruise documents. They're five pages and most of it looks like it's irrelevant. Do they just need the bar code on the front page? I don't understand why I should be printing the itinerary and some application for savings on my next cruise....

I've never cruised NCL before, all my modern cruises have been on RC. That being said, I've never printed cruise docs. Just brought ID as required and labeled bags with tags. I agree there is no value to printing "cruise doc" nonsense. You've already completed the major stuff, including acknowledging conditions of carriage, etc, online.

I usually get the luggage tags at the curb when I get to the port. I never printed them before. Just to make sure I just called NCL and you can have them printed at check in. You use to have to hand write your info on the tag. I plan to do that when I go in a couple weeks

Edited by Catgirlmitzmal

Total NOOB question here from a first time NCL cruiser! I've cruised plenty with RCI, Celebrity, Cunard, etc... But this will be my firsts time on NCL. What documents do I HAVE to print to make the boarding process go smoothly? And do I really need to print and staple luggage tags, or will there be porters at Manhattan Terminal to place tags on the bags?

Thanks in advance!

You don't need to print anything. Get your luggage tags from the porters, and bring an electronic copy of your documents.

Heya! Realistically all you need is ID. The first page with the barcode would help though. Just to speed things up.

There will be people there to put tags on your bags but sometimes the queue can be long. I would definitely avoid it if possible!

They'll also probably want a credit card too.

As this is first NCL cruise this post may be useful, it just lists the things I think you should know before your first NCL cruise. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-ncl/

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So they don't have porters applying tags at the pier? I'm looking at the cruise documents. They're five pages and most of it looks like it's irrelevant. Do they just need the bar code on the front page? I don't understand why I should be printing the itinerary and some application for savings on my next cruise....

The first page of the eDocs is called "Guest Ticket Contract to be Presented for Passage". Print the first page. Present it to port security and to the check-in agent.

There is a link to your color coded, labeled luggage tags. Print them. Attach them to your bags. Present your bags to the porter. Tip the porter.

Go to security. Don't bring any beverages.

A bit of a spin on this....I travel with a bus dropping us off at port. If your luggage tags not on there can be a delay. Maybe because the long shore men are emptying a large mass of luggage at once? Luggage is set aside and people have to wait, also more of a chance of delayed/missing delivery to cabin. Why not set printing preference to just print out the tags? I always print everything just because for me it just makes it easier to hand off documents when I check in. One less thing I have to stress about :)