What happens to prices after a "sale" ends?

cruisingram1

I have not been following Princess pricing very closely, but was curious if anyone knows what typically happens after a sale ends? The Red White and Blue sale was supposed to end last week, but apparently some sailings are still under the rules of that sale. Can I expect prices to go up when it actually ends and deposits are once again refundable? Just curious if I need to act today and risk my deposit, or take a chance, wait, and risk an increase in fare. I know no one can say for sure, but perhaps some of you have noticed what has happened after previous sales end. I would think for Princess to call it a "sale" there has to be an increase after it ends, but pricing seems contrived sometimes - you never know. :confused:

Pricing is very dynamic, as are sales. Cruise lines often jump from one sale package to another looking for the right mix that will lead to filling all the rooms. This is the model used to a great degree by airlines and hotels as well. Cruise lines also have the ability to juggle what they can offer in their sales package, I.e. Reduced price, free gratuities, upgrades, specialty. Dining, etc. Which sale comes next is never clear.

I have not been following Princess pricing very closely, but was curious if anyone knows what typically happens after a sale ends? The Red White and Blue sale was supposed to end last week, but apparently some sailings are still under the rules of that sale. Can I expect prices to go up when it actually ends and deposits are once again refundable? Just curious if I need to act today and risk my deposit, or take a chance, wait, and risk an increase in fare. I know no one can say for sure, but perhaps some of you have noticed what has happened after previous sales end. I would think for Princess to call it a "sale" there has to be an increase after it ends, but pricing seems contrived sometimes - you never know. :confused:

Cruisingram,

Cruise ship companies, airlines and many more companies each year, are using dynamic pricing technology that alters the individual product price according to the past sales, current demand and likelihood of not selling the product at all. The pricing for a particular cabin will change before, during and after a sale. A cabin group that is not selling will be priced more attractively to incent their sale. Those that have been selling briskly, will be priced higher. These pricing techniques are, in my own opinion, the reason that great last minute deals are harder to get for attractive cabins. They are getting really good at making their margins on the initial booking sales.

We will, I believe, see this pricing in our local supermarket in the near future. Whole Foods / Amazon comes to mind.

Probably best to just jump in and then watch for better deal. You can re-price since you are in the US. I like keeping my booking with Princess for this reason - I have found if you transfer to a TA it may not be quite as easy but others may disagree. But usually when one sale ends, another starts up in a week or so.

Pricing is very dynamic, as are sales. Cruise lines often jump from one sale package to another looking for the right mix that will lead to filling all the rooms. This is the model used to a great degree by airlines and hotels as well. Cruise lines also have the ability to juggle what they can offer in their sales package, I.e. Reduced price, free gratuities, upgrades, specialty. Dining, etc. Which sale comes next is never clear.

Yea, you said it better, wheezedr.

cruisingram1, i think another 'sale' is set to start tomorrow (sun drenched sale). if you are worried about the price changing between today and tomorrow, i'd book and put a 24 hour hold on the cabin (no deposit required). though the new sale also has non-refundable deposits.

We are actually in the same situation as you. We don't want to book under a non-refundable deposit. The Red, White and Blue sale is over yet the deposit remains non-refundable and there is no "sale" on the cruise we are wanting at this time. I know another non-refundable sale starts tomorrow so I think they are just planning to slide right into that one!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

cruisingram1, i think another 'sale' is set to start tomorrow (sun drenched sale). if you are worried about the price changing between today and tomorrow, i'd book and put a 24 hour hold on the cabin (no deposit required). though the new sale also has non-refundable deposits.

We are actually in the same situation as you. We don't want to book under a non-refundable deposit. The Red, White and Blue sale is over yet the deposit remains non-refundable and there is no "sale" on the cruise we are wanting at this time. I know another non-refundable sale starts tomorrow so I think they are just planning to slide right into that one!?!?

These two messages got me thinking further about the next sale and did a google search for 'sun drenched princess 2017'. That brought up the Princess web page announcing the sale that starts tomorrow. It does, in fact, have a non-refundable deposit and runs from July 11 through mid September. The cruise we are watching is listed and the price is identical to the Red White and Blue sale.

Still confused how you can have a continual sale and have that price not be regular price. Perhaps ship advertisements don't have the same rules as my grocery store.

However, it is helpful information in that I would have to wait until after September if I want to see a price reduction or a non refundable deposit. Sooner gives me more options for cabin choice.

Thanks to all who replied!

These two messages got me thinking further about the next sale and did a google search for 'sun drenched princess 2017'. That brought up the Princess web page announcing the sale that starts tomorrow. It does, in fact, have a non-refundable deposit and runs from July 11 through mid September. The cruise we are watching is listed and the price is identical to the Red White and Blue sale.

Still confused how you can have a continual sale and have that price not be regular price. Perhaps ship advertisements don't have the same rules as my grocery store.

However, it is helpful information in that I would have to wait until after September if I want to see a price reduction or a non refundable deposit. Sooner gives me more options for cabin choice.

Thanks to all who replied!

And who's to say that in September there might be another sale that it rolls into with a non-refundable deposit!

The sale is whatever amenities (such as free gratuities) are included, not the $$$ cost of the cruise.

Thought I would update on the new sale. I decided to wait til morning to book. Though pricing under both sales was identical yesterday, today my cruise went down $200 a person. I was really surprised. So even though my TA's OBC decreased a bit, I still ended up saving more than $350. I suggest you check fares for your cruise again. And....Deposit is still non-refundable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you see the flash sales?
Flash sales are usually after the final payment date. Sign up for the Princess emails. There's a place to indicate that you want to receive emails when you sign in to the Princess website. You can also see last-minute cruise deals on the Princess website. Travel agents may get notices of sales that you won't be able to see, so it's good to work with one.

Thought I would update on the new sale. I decided to wait til morning to book. Though pricing under both sales was identical yesterday, today my cruise went down $200 a person. I was really surprised. So even though my TA's OBC decreased a bit, I still ended up saving more than $350. I suggest you check fares for your cruise again. And....Deposit is still non-refundable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked also under the new sale. Price of our cruise went down as well but not as much as yours! TA's OBC remained the same. We did get the cabin we wanted so we are happy!