Maho Beach SXM

bouhunter

Wow that's sad! I've seen so many videos of people holding on to that fence but I never noticed any danger signs telling them not to do so. I didn't realize how dangerous it was.

0f8f4bbaf40742bfd20ef8b9c4e3ba2d.jpg

That is so sad. When I was there I stood and took pictures and videos of the landings, but did not stand in the path of the takeoffs. There is a danger sign about it as Bob posted but people choose to ignore it and hang onto the fence when jets are taking off.

There is a concrete road between the beach and the fence! Apart from being a road where cars are driving people stand in the road and hang onto the fence and get blown by the blasts of the jets for a thrill despite the warning signs on the fence! If you stay on the beach you are fine! Very sad someone lost their life!

There is a concrete road between the beach and the fence! Apart from being a road where cars are driving people stand in the road and hang onto the fence and get blown by the blasts of the jets for a thrill despite the warning signs on the fence! If you stay on the beach you are fine! Very sad someone lost their life!

Actually, if you are on the beach directly behind the jet wash, you WILL be blown into the water. There are many videos of this happening.

I was there in May, and noticed that the airport had installed a second row of

chain link fence along the roadway, adding a buffer zone of about 6ft. between

the original fence and the road.

We have been to Maho beach about 5 times and have never thought that riding the

fence was ever a good idea.

Being on the beach is fine, clinging on a fence while a commercial jet runs up the engines

for takeoff not the smartest thing to do. IMHO

Mac

It is very sad for this girl and her family.

I liken this to sky diving, bungee jumping, or any other extreme sport. There is an inherent risk involved with getting the thrill you are seeking. The skate boarder who wants to slide down a 30 ft stair hand rail knows there is a chance he/she may end up smashing is face on the concrete...but it is the chance he/she is willing to take for the thrill of the accomplishment (and now there are multiple TV shows that make a lot of money those type of people).

I was there in May, and noticed that the airport had installed a second row of

chain link fence along the roadway, adding a buffer zone of about 6ft. between

the original fence and the road.. .

Mac

Yup. I think it's been there a few years by now. So you have to stand in the road to fence-surf. And yet people do it anyway. No thanks. I'm not into getting debris- or sand-whipped! I can see the force pushing you and falling and hitting your head. Very sad. Hopefully people will re-think doing this.

We have been here many times--never standing behind a plane that is taking off. The warning sign is very large. The beach is very nice, although it is getting smaller and smaller in depth due to erosion.

The beach is fine and enjoyable.

Actually, it is a very poor beach by St. Maarten standards. It is narrow and has a fairly steep drop off. It is crowded because of the attraction of the airport, and while on the beach you get periodically sand-blasted by departing jets.

I still want to go to that beach and see the planes but I never planned on hanging on to that fence, even before I realized there was a sign saying you were not allowed to do it - I just didn't want to get sand-whipped!!