Warning About Using Photobucket to Post Your Cruise Photos

ChucktownSteve

What is going to happen to existing photos that were added to reports here? My pics on my past reviews were done from photobucket and they appear to still show fine so perhaps this is just a go forward thing?

They haven't discovered your account is hosting for 3rd party sites yet. So far you've been lucky. But they will. Then the pictures on the site will be replaced with their upgrade message. I had to close my accounts to get the insert to change to file not found without mentioning photobucket.

What is going to happen to existing photos that were added to reports here? My pics on my past reviews were done from photobucket and they appear to still show fine so perhaps this is just a go forward thing?

Do you have a Plus account? If you subscribed to a paid account in the past because of bandwidth restrictions, your pics will show as long as your account is current until December 31, 2018. If you don't have a paid account, it appears their software triggers this graphic and hosting blocking based on some sort of usage algorithm that they're not discussing. I'm confident there's no person in the loop to discover you're linking; that's just too much work with millions of users.

They haven't discovered your account is hosting for 3rd party sites yet. So far you've been lucky. But they will. Then the pictures on the site will be replaced with their upgrade message. I had to close my accounts to get the insert to change to file not found without mentioning photobucket.

What a pathetic way to run a business. I could 'almost' understand if this approach was taken for those hosting on photobucket for free, but as a paying customer (for a bit more storage) this is beyond comprehension. I will end up doing the same, just need to think over what I want to do going forward. I have all my pics locally so no worries of losing anything, aside from all the work of sharing here on CC. My renewal is October and I will definitely not be renewing. :mad::mad::mad: Mad and sad.

Oh and they have my correct email address and didn't think it mattered enough to send any notification out to anyone ... wow.

Do you have a Plus account? If you subscribed to a paid account in the past because of bandwidth restrictions, your pics will show as long as your account is current until December 31, 2018. If you don't have a paid account, it appears their software triggers this graphic and hosting blocking based on some sort of usage algorithm that they're not discussing. I'm confident there's no person in the loop to discover you're linking; that's just too much work with millions of users.

OH ... well that is good to know. Then maybe I will pay for another year ... maybe.

On another forum in which I participate, I've seen quite a few of the following where the photos used to be in posts:

394EC1ED-AF94-444E-A390-7BE6BA461376_zpsvmjgwpgn.jpg

I was sent the upgrade email yesterday and then the ' clock icon' as seen above, appeared in my signature.

I went into 'edit my signature' and clicked on 'insert signature picture' , which was under 'current signature picture' and low & behold the picture of my Platimun Princess badge appeared.

I have found a very simple way to upload photos from my iPad.

Using the Cruise Critic Forums app, I write my post. Then I click on the + sign.

This brings the mountain symbol up .

Clicking on this brings up the photos in my camera roll.

Just click on the image you want & click 'Save

917e758cf15e9983f9f0077c77c7cc1c.jpg.'

Your URL of your photo appears.

Click ' Save'

Edited by upwarduk

I have found a very simple way to upload photos from my iPad.

Using the Cruise Critic Forums app, I write my post. Then I click on the + sign.

This brings the mountain symbol up .

Clicking on this brings up the photos in my camera roll.

Just click on the image you want & click 'Save

917e758cf15e9983f9f0077c77c7cc1c.jpg.'

Your URL of your photo appears.

Click ' Save'

Your photo is being hosted by Tapatalk. You can see hat from the URL. Those who use the Cruise Critic or Tapatalk app on an iOS or Android mobile device like iPhones, iPads, Samsung etc. can upload their photos to Tapatalk from either of those apps. The Cruise Critic app is a vanity version of Tapatalk. These days when I want to upload a picture I use the Tapatalk app on one of my mobile devices instead of from my computer. Much easier. I could link though to my Smugmug site which has a yearly fee but I do it the lazy way now.

Of course no one can predict the future. There is no guarantee that Tapatalk or Cruise Critic will forever host the photos for free. I keep several backups, two in the cloud, iCloud Photos and Backblaze and two on external drives.

On July 6th, Photobucket changed their policies which prohibit you posting your pictures on third party web sites like Cruise Critic unless you pay $39.99 PER MONTH for the only plan that allows third party hosting.

That's why you're now seeing their warning to update your account where your pictures used to be on these boards.

I requested they delete my account because I'd rather have a broken link show than their message. They were supposed to delete it on July 6th but haven't done mine yet.

I stopped using Photobucket and went to another photo sharing website - much more user friendly. But thanks for posting the warning.