OMG, Just saw this trending on facebook!

ILoveStThomas

I have been there and I have to say from what I have seen tourist do, I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often. At 57 you should be setting an example for the young adults who have no fear to begin with. I also don't understand why anyone would want to breath in exhaust from a jet plane. I guess I'm just an old fart at the age of 56. Well at least I'm still alive to admit it.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We watched from the beach last November and it was quite the experience. There are signs everywhere warning folks not to stand near or hang on the fence. The taxi drivers and tour operators also provide that warning to their passengers. Sadly this woman and many others ignored those warnings and she paid the ultimate price.

I guess I'm in the minority so far. Sympathies for their loss, but next time I pay a visit, I intend to hit this beach, if for only a short while. The 2 times we were there, I somehow didn't know about it.;p

I guess I'm in the minority so far. Sympathies for their loss, but next time I pay a visit, I intend to hit this beach, if for only a short while. The 2 times we were there, I somehow didn't know about it.;p

Nothing wrong with visiting the beach to watch the planes. It is quite amazing to see them come in so low. But, it is the height of stupidity to try to hang onto the fence to feel the jet exhaust from planes taking off. The runway is very short, with a mountain in the flight path at the end, so planes get very close to the fence to get as much runway length as possible, and give it a lot of throttle to get moving as fast as possible to take off in time.

Not only is there the risk of being blown off as happened to this woman (actually happens quite frequently), but dirt and pebbles pummel the thrill seekers, potentially doing eye or ear damage. Plus breathing in pure jet fuel exhaust can't be very healthy either.

Stupid. No other word for it.

Here is a photo I took from my last visit. Below it is a photo taken by the blond woman at the bottom center of my photo. I was lucky to find her photo when searching for more photos of this unique place.

St.%20Maarten%20landing.JPG

St.%20Maarten%20landing%20other%20person%20photo.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Stay on the beach or wade in the water and you will be just fine. It's the people who are on the road or worse, standing at the fence who can get into serious trouble.

As far a Caribbean beaches go, It's probably the worst one that I have been to. The main attraction was watching the planes taking off and landing. We were on a private tour and it was a short stop. Just enough time to watch the planes and grab a drink and snack from the bar. I wouldn't make a whole day of it even if I was staying on the island in a resort. Now, I have been there... done that... so no need to return.

Nothing

Here is a photo I took from my last visit. Below it is a photo taken by the blond woman at the bottom center of my photo. I was lucky to find her photo when searching for more photos of this unique place.

St.%20Maarten%20landing.JPG

St.%20Maarten%20landing%20other%20person%20photo.jpg

The beach doesn't look to crowded in this picture. It was a mob scene the day we were in port. The real show as watching everybody running to get the closest spot to be blown away and sand blasted.

The beach doesn't look to crowded in this picture. It was a mob scene the day we were in port. The real show as watching everybody running to get the closest spot to be blown away and sand blasted.

This was in November 2006. We were on Disney Magic and the only ship in port that day. The girls went shopping, while the guys went plane watching. Later, we all hit the beach for some warm water swimming (we live in northern California where the water temp is a brisk 56 F in the summer). Great cruise!

As far a Caribbean beaches go, It's probably the worst one that I have been to. The main attraction was watching the planes taking off and landing. We were on a private tour and it was a short stop. Just enough time to watch the planes and grab a drink and snack from the bar. I wouldn't make a whole day of it even if I was staying on the island in a resort. Now, I have been there... done that... so no need to return.

I agree. We stopped there on a tour. We actually really enjoyed watching the planes come in. We stayed on the beach close to the water. It was fun. But, the beach itself wasn't a place I would go if I wanted a beach day. There were too many other beautiful beaches.

I'm very sorry, though that this happened to this lady and sorry for her family.