Dining/ food quality, Princess Cruises

GrouchyBomber

We took our first Princess cruise last month, and I would add to your comment: "We have always found something we were very disappointed with when eating on the Grand Princess ship."

I would say that about half the meals in the MDR were sub-par compared to the other cruise lines I have been on. As for the buffet, I found it difficult to find things that I was pleased with. From cold fried eggs, to omelet orders that never showed up, to just bland and tasteless food, it was worse than a local Hometown Buffet I had the misfortune of trying on a whim. For instance, I never knew that bacon could have all the flavor cooked out of it, but there it was, on virtually every morning I tried it - zero flavor. Even Crown Grill was very disappointing, with a steak that was barely edible, and small, just warm lobster tails as an option. The Black and Blue French Onion Soup was very good, however, so the meal wasn't a total loss.

Don't get me wrong, my wife and I enjoyed the cruise a lot. We liked the ship's decoration and layout, the entertainment was very good, and our mini-suite was the best stateroom we have spent any time in - love those new beds. I especially loved the Peanut Butter Pudding at the International Cafe, and the pizzas at Alfredos were quite good - all three times!

But the food overall was the worst of any cruise I have ever taken. I certainly wouldn't cruise Princess for the food. Fortunately there are plenty of other good reasons for us to consider another Princess cruise in the future other than food.

We will be going on our 26th Princess cruise in October, have cruised 9 different lines over past 30 years well over 60 cruises, have loss count. By comparison, we have found Princess better than most. We really like how responsive Princess is to off menu requests... Princess handles this better than any other line, with maybe the accept of Cunard. We eat at the Crown Grill on our last cruise on the Grand for 10 nights in a row... enjoyed trying different items on the menu... really love the Chilean Sea Bass, the Shrimp dish, the filet, both veal and lamb chops.... the sides... plan to do the same things when we go on the TA out of Barcelona for 14 nights... the extra charge is well worth it. We like the peace and quiet of the Crown Grill... eating there every night we had a set table . Service and food quality was very good. We are not loyal to any line, cruise Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity and NCL in the past 10 years, depends on itinerary ... do no really cruise for food but think Princess out shines the other lines.

Context.

Put me down as someone else who doesn't get what is "too funny" about that poster's comments. I saw nothing funny about his comments. He sailed on Princess one time and was disappointed with certain aspects, and pleased with others. Just like happens on any cruise.

Not at all sure what you mean by "context". You need to either explain yourself, or stop being so immature and apologize for your obvious attempt to ridicule the poster in question for sharing an opinion on his experience.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I searched your posting history to learn some "context" on why you posted these comments. I sure found some! It is pretty clear that you have a pretty low opinion of your fellow cruisers, as you seem to be bothered by them quite a bit. It became a game trying to find posts that didn't denigrate other people in you posts. Here are a few excerpts of what you posted on other threads::

"But, reading this thread reinforces my opinion -- why would I want to extend any courtesy to people on ships?"

"It's all the selfish people posting here that helped me form an opinion."

"I was commenting on the constant, childish me, me, me comments posted here."

"Some old thing came up behind us, extended a withered claw, hooked the rail, and tried to reel herself in between us."

"For instance, one poster proudly told us how she would take a MUTS blanket back to her cabin for her exclusive use during her cruise."

"I often read -- I'm really clever, and I write in special orders on the breakfast hang tag -- of course delaying everyone follow the rules while the special order is handled. etc. etc. So, to whom would I want to extend any consideration?"

"It changed to pre-pay. There was lots of complaining here. It changed back. There was lots of gloating here about how effective the complaining was."

Edited by PTMary

Gee, I thought these forums were for people to voice their opinions.

It seems like if someone doesn't agree with you people have to attack them. Everyone can have their own opinion of the food on Princess.

I personally think the quality of food has gone done and some nights I can't find anything to order. If you love the food, great but why attack someone who has a different opinion

Try doing a formal dress code thread & see what happens. The food is subjective. We're in the food industry & both foodies. When one guy posted that for most people it's a "treat" to be able to go to Applebee's/Denny's I said you've got to be kidding! I was just torn apart by these guys: saying I'm totally out of touch with the people of this country. Sorry, but I have to feel that the majority of Americans are not so poor, that those 2 establishments would be considered "fine" dining. They made it seem as if most people were just getting by eating cat food. I'm sure I'll get attacked again.

Try doing a formal dress code thread & see what happens. The food is subjective. We're in the food industry & both foodies. When one guy posted that for most people it's a "treat" to be able to go to Applebee's/Denny's I said you've got to be kidding! I was just torn apart by these guys: saying I'm totally out of touch with the people of this country. Sorry, but I have to feel that the majority of Americans are not so poor, that those 2 establishments would be considered "fine" dining. They made it seem as if most people were just getting by eating cat food. I'm sure I'll get attacked again.

Most Americans don't consider Spike Jones' blazer to be formal wear either ;p

When I was a kid, Denny's was indeed a treat. We weren't rich, yet not poor. My folks were thrifty, and dining out was rare, and certainly never at high end restaurants. Where my parent's might have been below your idea of what people should like in dining, by being "Denny's" thrifty they left my brother and I very hefty inheritances when they passed. That inheritance provided a huge helping hand in my own life by initially funding my successful company, which now allows me to cruise as often as I like, to have visited several dozen countries all over the world, and to dine in whatever dining venue I feel like at the time, from Ruth's Chris to Denny's and Applebee's (my young grandson's favorite).

Next time try to be a bit more gracious in your assessment of the "couth" level of people you come into contact with. Unless you walk in their shoes, you have no idea what is important in their lives, or why it is so.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I searched your posting history to learn some "context" on why you posted these comments. I sure found some! It is pretty clear that you have a pretty low opinion of your fellow cruisers, as you seem to be bothered by them quite a bit. It became a game trying to find posts that didn't denigrate other people in you posts. Here are a few excerpts of what you posted on other threads::

I am deeply honored that you would spend so much time formulating a personal attack.

You have, of course, done exactly what you accuse me of.

I am deeply honored that you would spend so much time formulating a personal attack.

That may be true, but at least it was creative, you have to admit it. I will have to say, the part about the "withered old thing", though insulting was very clever descriptive writing.

Edited by keithm
addition

When I was a kid, Denny's was indeed a treat. We weren't rich, yet not poor. My folks were thrifty, and dining out was rare, and certainly never at high end restaurants. Where my parent's might have been below your idea of what people should like in dining, by being "Denny's" thrifty they left my brother and I very hefty inheritances when they passed. That inheritance provided a huge helping hand in my own life by initially funding my successful company, which now allows me to cruise as often as I like, to have visited several dozen countries all over the world, and to dine in whatever dining venue I feel like at the time, from Ruth's Chris to Denny's and Applebee's (my young grandson's favorite).

Next time try to be a bit more gracious in your assessment of the "couth" level of people you come into contact with. Unless you walk in their shoes, you have no idea what is important in their lives, or why it is so.

I formulate my opinion on the Denny's/Applebee customers I've seen up in my part of the country. Couth or not, they're not exactly a nice crowd up here. I've been to Waffle House plenty of times down south & the clientele was far nicer. At least there I've not had to get cleaned up after a late night food fight at Denny's. Or get shrapnel from a bottle fight like at Applebee's. Never went to Denny's as a kid. We went to either Polly's Pancake parlor or Parker's Maple Barn. IHOP is also much better than Denny's.

Edited by keithm
addtion

I agree that food quality anywhere is subjective and is particular to an individuals dining habits, but here is my opinion.

We have over 500 days on Princess on all ships including the original loveboat and except the Sapphire and Majestic since 1996. I have found that the food quality has not deteriorated and the menus have been changing more often lately although I do miss the allways available steak medallions and Salmon.I have only sent one dinner back and DW has sent maybe three, one of which she sent back because what I had looked better.

We always take anytime dining and try to get a table with the same waitstaff.

We wanted to try Celebrity so we once booked a 7 day Celebrity followed by two 7 day Princess. The food in the MDR on Celebrity bordered on just edible, either well done and dry or smothered in gravy.

I agree that food quality anywhere is subjective and is particular to an individuals dining habits, but here is my opinion.

We have over 500 days on Princess on all ships including the original loveboat and except the Sapphire and Majestic since 1996. I have found that the food quality has not deteriorated and the menus have been changing more often lately although I do miss the allways available steak medallions and Salmon.I have only sent one dinner back and DW has sent maybe three, one of which she sent back because what I had looked better.

We always take anytime dining and try to get a table with the same waitstaff.

We wanted to try Celebrity so we once booked a 7 day Celebrity followed by two 7 day Princess. The food in the MDR on Celebrity bordered on just edible, either well done and dry or smothered in gravy.

We like to do Early Seating. That way we always get the same staff. We found we frequently had to wait with anytime dining. Food on the Eclipse has really gone down hill.(after three 14 day cruises) The specialty rest. are still excellent, but I don't want to spend that kind of $$ every night. Princess seems pretty consistent overall(judging by comments)We're also looking at Oceania as well. We're real "foodies". Oceania, is however more pricey than we usually do, so I have to research cruises carefully on that, to get the best itinerary/cruise length, etc.

At least she clearly detailed the context of her post, as opposed to your puzzling attacks for no discernible reason.

Agree with those who feel Celebrity cruises' food in MDR has gone down hill, when we cruise X, we eat at the Buffet which is very good. We tried Blu once did not feel worth the extra price on X. Have not gone on Oceania because they do not do formal nights any more which we enjoy.

Well said santefefan! I was fortunate to have an uncle with an attitude that sounds like yours. He taught me to enjoy the moment whether I was at a Michelin starred restaurant or at the most humble place in a developing country where you know someone is doing their best to have you fed. I always do my best to find something to satisfy my hunger. Unfortunately I have also learned my calorie burn is less as I age - so at an 1800 calorie a day target it really does not take much to reach that target. Some of my favorite meals have been in places around the world where people make great efforts to feed you in the most difficult of environments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except that doesn't mean exactly what you think it does.

Cost per passenger trend also has to factor in economy of scale. As you service more passengers on larger venues you also get cost savings on spoilage, etc. Or to put it a different way, the incremental cost of feeding passengers increases more slowly with capacity.

Take the Island Princess. They added about 5% capacity, lets say, but their food costs would not have increased 5 percent, probably closer to 2 or 3. Which means food costs still go up, but costs per pax go down. As bigger and bigger ships roll out you will see continued per pax reduction over average. Using made up numbers, lets say it cost $30,000 to feed the IP for a week at 3000 pax. They add 150 passengers, so you would expect the cost to rise to $31,500 but it doesn't, $31,000 is probably closer. Which means the per pax count went from $100 to $97 without changing a thing on the menu. That effect is magnified on bigger ships.

Now that doesn't mean that Princess hasn't been reducing options and removing some high dollar items from menus. All lines are. But that's a far cry from calling it cafeteria food in the manner you clearly intended.

And its certainly true there are chef's who do a better job working with what they have than others but again also true on many lines. But its also fair to say that Princess has gone nowhere near as far on the specialty bandwagon as others have and continued to commit a relatively large portion of their food service assets to the MDRs.

INCORRECT: in financial analysis, food cost is variable and is considered directly related to passenger revenue and passenger count.

On a microcosm, per-cruise level, there are a number of factors that may distort food cost, such as: periodic container shipments (say, an x month supply of cheese from Italy); the amount of single occupancy cabins (lowers food cost) vs. triple or quad occupancy cabins (raises food cost); xx passengers missing a cruise at the last minute.

These inconsistencies are consistent, allowing for accurate measurement in the big picture, such as annually, and why they are monitored and published in the annaul10K.

Put me down as someone else who doesn't get what is "too funny" about that poster's comments. I saw nothing funny about his comments. He sailed on Princess one time and was disappointed with certain aspects, and pleased with others. Just like happens on any cruise.

Not at all sure what you mean by "context". You need to either explain yourself, or stop being so immature and apologize for your obvious attempt to ridicule the poster in question for sharing an opinion on his experience.

"But, reading this thread reinforces my opinion -- why would I want to extend any courtesy to people on ships?"

"It's all the selfish people posting here that helped me form an opinion."

"I was commenting on the constant, childish me, me, me comments posted here."

"Some old thing came up behind us, extended a withered claw, hooked the rail, and tried to reel herself in between us."

"For instance, one poster proudly told us how she would take a MUTS blanket back to her cabin for her exclusive use during her cruise."

"I often read -- I'm really clever, and I write in special orders on the breakfast hang tag -- of course delaying everyone follow the rules while the special order is handled. etc. etc. So, to whom would I want to extend any consideration?"

"It changed to pre-pay. There was lots of complaining here. It changed back. There was lots of gloating here about how effective the complaining was."

Actually, PTMary....

Your apparent frustration with comments that just go over your head by pablo222 doesn't mean he needs to explain himself or apologize. Nor do I find his comments immature.

While his quotes you posted are out of CONTEXT, they're enough to sense his contempt which he is not alone in holding towards others. Sharp, carefully worded comments can be a delight.

Actually, PTMary....

Your apparent frustration with comments that just go over your head by pablo222 doesn't mean he needs to explain himself or apologize. Nor do I find his comments immature.

While his quotes you posted are out of CONTEXT, they're enough to sense his contempt which he is not alone in holding towards others. Sharp, carefully worded comments can be a delight.

I agree with about 97.5%

I lost 2.5 % in the context of your post

Srpilo

Many people do like the food on Princess Cruise. But I found the overall quality of food has declined. At the best it is just cafeteria quality. That is the reason they created "specialty restaurant " to get our money. Question is why they make such difference?

The answer is obvious.

Any thoughts?

Sailed on not-so-Grand Princess in June. Food was lukewarm, unappetizing and Salvation Army quality. And taking away trays from the buffet to cut down on food consumption was the final insult. 18th and maybe last Princess cruise.

MARVIN SCHWARTZ

Sailed on not-so-Grand Princess in June. Food was lukewarm, unappetizing and Salvation Army quality. And taking away trays from the buffet to cut down on food consumption was the final insult. 18th and maybe last Princess cruise.

MARVIN SCHWARTZ

We rarely use the buffet but do not remember them ever having trays - next time order room service and keep the tray

BTW - we will miss you

Sailed on not-so-Grand Princess in June. Food was lukewarm, unappetizing and Salvation Army quality. And taking away trays from the buffet to cut down on food consumption was the final insult. .

I have been sailing on princess for about 30 years. I don't ever remember trays.

I was on Grand 6-8 times when it entered service (1998?). No trays.

On the other hand, if the food is "unappetizing and Salvation Army quality", why would one want

a tray to carry more of it?