Live from the Miracle, a July Mexican Riviera Adventure!

Steelers0854

We are enjoying your posts as we will be on the Miracle for the Alaska 14 day cruise Sept 2nd. Haven't been on Carnival since 1991 as went to Princess. Thought we would give them a try as love no flying as Huntington Beach isn't far from Long Beach Port. Our only worry is we are "old" and don't know if we can handle the out side check in. Thanks for all the good info. Quacker Don :cool:

I am really enjoying your thread. You are so positive! I am getting a lot of good info! We are on the same cruise beginning this Saturday! I was wondering on embarkation day what time does the pool opens? I know my kids will want to hit the pool the moment they get on the ship. 😃

Thank you!

The capacity of the Miracle is 2124 guests so the only way to get to 2800 is to include the crew. I love this ship for the layout and lack of crowds!

Probably right then. I got that info from DBIL who was talking with one of the officers. I'll try and confirm the numbers and get back.

I am really enjoying your thread. You are so positive! I am getting a lot of good info! We are on the same cruise beginning this Saturday! I was wondering on embarkation day what time does the pool opens? I know my kids will want to hit the pool the moment they get on the ship. [emoji2]

Thank you!

Glad you're enjoying it. We are having a good time aboard.

I'm trying to remember but I think the pools were all open when we boarded. So no issues there.

The capacity of the Miracle is 2124 guests so the only way to get to 2800 is to include the crew. I love this ship for the layout and lack of crowds!

2124 is lower berths only, factored as 100% capacity. The larger pax numbers mean that there are 3rd/4th pax in the cabin's as well. Ships can sail at 106% capacity (or some other percentage over 100%)

2800 sounds like major rounding went towards that number.

Day 4 continued

I have to admit the Alchemy Bar is one of my favorite places. It goes beyond the service and drink menu. The atmosphere and decor is very appealing and its just a great place to hang out. I also love when you get a real bartender, someone who is creative and can make a drink that is beyond just following a typical recipe. I told him what I liked and he whipped up a fantastic drink. Love them at the Alchemy Bar!

So we headed to dinner and got there a little before 5:45 and they were already seating people. We were seated in Chen’s section towards the back of the restaurant and had the best service of the cruise thus far. They still insist on bringing everything you ordered out at once which is awkward trying to shove all these plates around the table. I know I know, very first world problems here, and I also know, the simple solution is to just order one. But thats no fun! I was happy to see escargot on the menu in their usual buttery garlicky good ness so I had to get one of those, and they were good, not Princess good, but good none the less. I was shrimped out so I got the port special appetizer, a chicken and re fried bean tostada. If short ribs weren't on the menu I woulda picked up 2 of these, they were great. So for dinner tonight was the beef short ribs, which were nothing short of excellent. They were accompanied by a potato and pea gratin and green beans, an excellent meal. Also hits were the Chicken Milanese and the pepperoni pizza from the little ones.

After dinner we headed to the show, which was some kind of tropical island themed gimmicky show. I am used to cruise entertainment, but unfortunately these folks just were not very good singers. They guy that opened for them, I think his name is Rob, an acoustical soloist was fantastic. We are going to try and see him tomorrow night as it looks like he is going to have his own sets in the Red Frog Pub.

After the show we headed for the Red Frog Pub to listen to some jams by a 4 person band, they were good and we enjoyed seeing all the people who invested in Cheers! Dancing on the dance floor, hours of entertainment there! After a couple of adult beverages it was time to call it a night.

Day 5 Puerto Vallarta

So we lost an hour of sleep tonight as we set our clocks ahead an hour, that didnt stop DE and I from sleeping in til 9! Good thing we didnt miss much as we had just docked. We opened the balcony door to find a beautiful lush paradise awaiting us. Cabo and Puerto could not be any more different and we were excited to explore the town.

Met up at the buffet with the family and headed out. This is when we saw our first wildlife! Swimming along singing a song right next to the boat was a crocodile, just happy as can be. I was never more grateful for not being in the water than I was right then, because from deck 10 this thing looked huge! Right when we walked off the ship a guy was selling us a tour around the area, 3 hours for the 6 of us only, $250. Seemed steep. We kept walking about 100 feet just outside the gate, 5 hours for the 6 of us only, $120, sign us up! We had a great time being driven around the town by this little old man who know everything and everyone. He took us off the beaten path, to the real Puerto Vallarta and explained the history, who lived where, what Americans have moved here and opened up that B&B or this restaurant. We stopped along the way at the typical sights, the Church of Guadalupe, the Mercado and the Malecon. We were about 3.5 hours in and the heat was just horrendous so we decided to head back to the ship for a late lunch and a little pool time as we knew it would be vacant. Plus we saw some storm clouds on the horizon and thought we could beat the incoming storm.

Back on board we hit up the buffet which was unfortunately lack luster, then threw on the suits and jumped in the pool with the kiddos. A couple of adult beverages later in the now cloudy sky made for a great afternoon!

Since we got back late we pushed dinner to a later time. We also figured a lot of people are going to stay ashore late since all aboard isnt until 8:30 and it wouldn't be very crowded

30 plus cruises into PV and have never seen a croc or gator! Quite a site did not know they hung out in that area. We saw a sea turtle and a couple baby sting rays in June. Will be on this trip again in two weeks will have to look for that critter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

copied from the Carnival website

• 88,500GROSS
    TONNAGE
  • 2124GUEST
    CAPACITY
  • 963LENGTH
    IN FEET
  • 934ONBOARD
    CREW

It we were all wrong, these numbers are confirmed with the Future Travel/VIFP host

2,632 passengers

Just over 900 crew

2 Diamond

50 Platinum

Day 5 continued

We headed to dinner and requested Chen’s section again. Apparently her area was on break til 6:30 and so we waited and at 6:30 we were seated no problem. Service again was very good and we were glad to be back in her section.

The Cannelloni appetizer was one of the best of the cruise. Seriously could have had 4 of those and called it a day. DW was raving about the chilled peach soup and a few of the family ordered an extra serving as it was that good. For entrees I really wanted to try the spare ribs as well as the beef tenderloin that popped on the menu so yea I ordered both. The spare ribs were fall off the bone tender and the BBQ sauce was good. The corn bread muffin was just of as were the beans, more of a passing thought than anything really good. The beef tenderloin only came in 2 temperatures medium rare and well done, nothing in between. I'm not a fan of medium rare and usually look for a solid medium so I grabbed the well done. The meat was really flavorful and didn't really need the accompanying bernaise sauce. The side was terrible. Honestly I dont remember what it was because it was a fail. The others were impressed with the southern fried chicken as it was crispy and juicy. Dessert was a real hit too with the s'mores parfait and the chocolate melting cake.

After dinner we headed to the Red Frog Pub to listen to Rob and his guitar. He was excellent and I was shocked to see the place rather deserted. Afterwards we headed to the comedy show featuring John DiCrosta. This was an R rated show and the place was packed to the gills. He was fantastic. I really liked he ad-libed most of his show and that he was doing 5 shows aboard and all of them were different. We will definitely try and see him again.

Day 6 Sea Day

We slept in today and headed to brunch in the dining room. Still much prefer breakfast here over the lido deck. There was almost no one in the dining room so it makes me wonder if they will eventually do away with this altogether.

Afterwards we bounced around between trivias, dancing lessons and shows most of the afternoon. They had a group of kids on board from Canada that did a dance show and they were pretty good. The highlight was definitely the 80s music trivia. The cruise director Adam dressed in a mirror finish track suit with a long haired wig, it was hilarious. The fountainhead cafe was packed, barely standing room only. He played 27 80s era songs that we had to guess the titles to. It was loads of fun with people singing and dancing away. Also he would randomly pick people walking by, point them out and we would all cheer and clap as they looked around bewildered. A good time was had by all.

While DW and I were at the 80s trivia the rest of the family went to the magic show. Their report back was that it was the worst they had seen. They said the tricks were so bad most the audience left 10 min in. So the magic show was a bust.

After the trivia we headed to change for the last elegant night of the cruise. We headed down early because 1) we wanted to be seated in Chen’s section again and 2) we wanted to try and catch the 7:30 show. I'll take a moment here to discuss elegant night attire. Since we are in the steakhouse the first night this was my first true hands on experience in the MDR. I saw everything from the lone gentleman in a tux to a polo shirt, shorts and sandals (not flip flops) and everything in between, but most were either khaki’s and a polo or button down shirt.

Dinner service was the good service we have come to expect from Chen and Julie and the highlight dishes were the crab cakes and stuffed mushrooms for appetizers. The entrees were just ok, they filet and beef short ribs combo was dashed by tough meat. DW did like her pasta and mushroom cream sauce. The Grand Marnier suffle was a success though.

After dinner we headed to the 80s pop show, but the main entertainers left something to be desired and we left early to get seats for John DiCostra’s PG show. The room was packed and he delivered another awesome show. A good mix of on the fly stuff with his other skits.

Afterwards we headed to the piano bar for the first time and was a little underwhelmed. Several other bars have pianos around the ship and I think they missed an opportunity to make this a dueling piano bar which would have been fantastic! We called it a night after a few songs and ended on Don Maclean’s The Day the Music died.

Day 7 Last Sea Day [emoji22]

Woke up to an alarm this morning because it was time for the Dr Seuss Breakfast. The kids were stoked, in fact my youngest niece wanted a Dr Seuss themed B Day party even before the breakfast. We got there right at 8:15 and we're surprised only about a quarter of the upper level of the MDR was decorated and setup but I guess it isn't for everyone. Breakfast was good (pictures to follow) and I think it was worth the $5 especially for the kids as they have photo ops with the Cat in the Hat, Thing 1&2, and Sam.

It was a cool and overcast day out and was much nicer to sit out on the deck today than yesterday. The pools were almost as busy although you could actually find a lounger today. We hung out on deck and listened to the music at the stage enjoying the day.

We headed down for the Love and Marriage show and had a good laugh at the contestants and their answers. It was a PG show but they tried their best to make it funny and they did a good job with it. Afterwards was a Q&A session with Adam the cruise director and he had some interesting stories to tell.

We got to dinner at 5:45 sharp so we could sit in Chen's section again and again had fantastic dinner service. She is a wonderful lady and was so sweet with the kids. Her and Julie provided the best service we had onboard. The chilled mango soup and BBQ chicken flatbread appetizers were hits. Along with those the port of call’s steak tacos and the ricotta cheese ravioli were great as well. I would skip the creole shrimp, it didn't look appealing nor taste appealing either. DBIL said the prime rib was just so so but he agreed the tacos were the winner of the night. BTW if you love carrot cake Carnival makes the best carrot cake out there!

After dinner we headed to the comedy show, a new comic Jimmy Carrol was up tonight at the PG show. The room was packed as always but unfortunately he didn't deliver. The other comics were so good this cruise he just didn't resonate with us.

After the comedy show we called it a night as we had a super long day ahead of us tomorrow, our flights didn't leave LA til later tomorrow night.

So that was by far the easiest disembarkation we have ever done.

No more customs forms at the port. It's all a verbal declaration. Handed them out passports, made sure it was us and walked right through.

Apparently they started this new process about 2 weeks ago according to the cruise director.

Wall offs started with deck 6 at 8am and our family who was on deck 10 was at LAX by 9. We were called at 9:15 for group 2 and left on the LAX transfer at 9:45. In hindsight we should have carried off but we had no idea they were going to start walkoffs so early.

Slam dunk all around.

Final thoughts

I am going to take a minute to circle back to my first post. I do think that different lines have their own personalities. We knew this was going to be a “fun ship” and it has lived up to the name. There is a lot of engaging activities onboard and ways for people to actively have fun. I can say that we had a great time, and while there were some misses, the Carnival myths are definitely over stated. Of course, this is just one cruise, but we never saw anyone behaving badly, no fights, major public drunkenness etc. The pools on sea days were PACKED, no open seats in chairs and the pool was full of kids, but what else do you expect on a family centric cruise? I will say I do, even more so now than before, envy the Disney Ships and their adult only pool, and lounges and bars. That's not to say that the kids on board were behaving badly, but they were everywhere. It was great on DCL to retreat to a quiet area, and we did take advantage of the Serenity section, but that was also very busy as well since it is just one small part of the ship. Plus, dont forget the water slide is just above it!

We would have no issues sailing on a Carnival Ship again. Is it our preferred line? No, there were just too many across the board compromises for us, the biggest among them was the service. We never had bad service, but we are so used to consistent exceptional service that the lack of it was noticeable. I couldnt find a single engaging bartender on the entire ship. Most were just drink makers and would not engage with you at all. The bright stars on board were Daniel, a server on the pool deck, who made it fun to hang out on deck. Chen and Julie in the dining room were the saving grace of dinner service, had it not been for them we may have just given up.

We LOVED the focus on comedy. The comedians on board were a much higher caliber than on other lines where I think they are more of a filler than a focus. The trivia and games on board were very engaging and more fun than Princess and were a tie with the adult programs on DCL. We enjoyed the steakhouse on board more than on Princess and would definitely go back. And we enjoyed the wide variety of spaces on board, even if they were all bar focused (we really arent big drinkers), from the Red Frog Pub to the Alchemy Bar and others, they were neat places to hang out and enjoy the live music.

TL;DR Don't believe all the negatives you hear about Carnival, we would have no hesitation cruising on them going forward. Be prepared for the party though and know what your getting into because they definitely focus on the FUN!

Thanks to everyone that followed along, happy cruising to you all!

Enjoyed your review as we will be on Miracle to Panama Canal in April, 2018. You didn't say what you thought about the obstructed view balcony. We got one because there were no regular balconies left in the hope as time gets closer to final payment in January something will be available. We tend to spend a good bit of time on the balcony, so anxious to see what your opinion is. Thanks.

We didn't mind the obstructed balcony at all, it wouldn't be our first choice but given the discount we got by booking a guarantee we didn't mind it one bit. We did get really lucky as there are 2 types of lifeboats we were in the section with none of the extended top lifeboats (see the first photo below). But all in all it wasn't bad. For the PC (we haven't done one yet) you may want to avoid them because I would think you would want to look down at the locks, with this category there is no way to do that.

3741ab86fef95b1dc6f6de0aafde6cb3.jpgc3f941438e025f5a9230694b174fb46f.jpg8defa1e603818c5fc70285c34cbf2af7.jpg7432b13705fd502176603d11442d9178.jpg