Harmony Solarium Thumbs Down!!!

We are wrapping up a beautiful week on Harmony of the Seas. The crew is outstanding. My only complaint is this solarium. Royal Caribbean completely dropped the ball when designing this space. If you've sailed Oasis and Allure and used their solarium you'll be greatly disappointed with Harmony's solarium concept. Just look at the photo. We are on the last sea day and the solarium is a ghost town but not a chair to be found elsewhere. The lack of a pool, a signature feature of all Royal Caribbean solariums has destroyed this iconic space. Also, instead of glass panels, there are plastic panels which trap the heat and sound horrific. We were so disappointed with this throughout this week and will not sail Harmony again until (or even if) it's fixed.

8dab1ef68e24a141a2afccfe9030fd78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it doesn't look like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpPskiEfdMKqMmpb3Sl_gteV59nBgrU3DWfsMO6quCfJdSTH1ONw

I got this off the internet by googling pictures of Harmony's Solarium. There are hundreds like this.

This is definitely not on Harmony - looks more like an enclosed radiance class solarium to me.

This is definitely not on Harmony - looks more like an enclosed radiance class solarium to me.

It's not, Harmony doesn't have a pool. I believe Brilliance of the Seas has the elephant statues.

Personally I've found the Solariums on all of the ships I've been on to be too hot and humid. I don't understand the appeal, but to each their own. Consider me 1 less person crowding the Solarium pool - oh, wait, that's not a problem on Harmony.... ;-)

On Anthem the Solarium "pools" are itty bitty shallow dipping things, maybe thigh deep at best, and cold. Nobody used them much. The hot tubs were very crowded though. I guess that's the progression from older ships to newer, just keep downsizing the Solarium pool until there isn't one!

8dab1ef68e24a141a2afccfe9030fd78.jpg

I'm glad to see the clam shell chairs are back. They don't (didn't as of 4/13) have them on Allure. While you may not get them during the day it was a nice place for my wife and I to sit/relax at the end of the night before our hot tub soak. (Solarium club?) KIDDING. Back when it was Oasis leaving Port Everglades on Saturday and Allure arriving on Sunday, it was nice to sit and watch the two giants pass in the night.

I was not greatly disappointed at all. I thought it was cooler and had much better air flow that o/a.

I'll keep that in mind and an open mind if I ever get on her, watching for indications how Symphony's solarium will be. Even on Oasis and Allure, I called that thing a bird bath, not a pool. We were by the beach pool most of the time.

I'd hardly call what they have on Oasis a pool. It's tiny. We couldn't even sit in the Oasis solarium - too hot and way too crowded. Solarium on Voyager and Freedom class are the best!

Amen.

solariumsmall.jpg

So Harmony tries to make up for this design flaw by making the sports pool 16+. But they still use the pool for volleyball tournaments that take hours to finish.... We just left solarium to go to the adults only pool and no sooner than when we dipped and started to get happy the activities team came out with the volleyball net. I was so annoyed!! He actually asked one passenger to help with the net and the guy was like, No! Clearly annoyed with things as well. Went to the main pool for 20 min or so and I left after the 4th time I was kicked by a kid in a mask and flippers thinking the pool was their own little ocean. Never in 18 cruises have I dealt with this crap! We are now on our balcony and going to get ready for the night. At 3:20pm. Unreal. I know, I know - cruiser problems, but still!

On Anthem the Solarium "pools" are itty bitty shallow dipping things, maybe thigh deep at best, and cold. Nobody used them much. The hot tubs were very crowded though. I guess that's the progression from older ships to newer, just keep downsizing the Solarium pool until there isn't one!

When we were on Anthem in October, there were plenty of people in the solarium pool every time we were in there.

I enjoyed Harmony's Solarium. The new design with plastic overhead panels and some sort of canvas with holes made for better airflow compared to Allure. Don't care for any cruise pool, too many people too little water... The spray fountain was nice on hot days.