Good excursion for not much time in San Juan?

Strophic

Looks like our ship departs San Juan at 2pm, leaving...not a whole lot of time to do an excursion. I want to do something since Haiti is going to be our "free day," but most of the tours I am finding do not get back until late.

Is there a good, short excursion that two non-drinking 24 year olds would enjoy?

Sorry to "hijack" this thread, but I'm also interested in recommendations for the short visit, but without the "non-drinking" restriction. We may or may not drink there, depending on the alternatives.

San Juan is a great port to explore on one's own. Stick to the tourist areas and it's quite safe.

Visit the forts, https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/index.htm. Both are less than 20 minute walks from the ships. Although it is all uphill.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/ is a great way to get to El Morro. It starts at the tourist information center which can be reached by turning left as you exit the pier and walking towards the pink US Customs building.

For non-drinkers, there are a couple of old forts within walking distance of the cruise pier (well at one time it was one fort) and a number of churches. There is a free shuttle bus that makes a loop.

For drinkers, take the ferry across the bay (I think it's $0.50 each way) and grab a taxi to Bacardi - take the tour or not, it's a great place to hang out

We were in San Juan last week and our ship left at 2 pm as well. We walked to both forts which was very interesting.

There were also many taxi drivers offering a one hour tour of the city for $10 per person. We almost did this because we thought that perhaps we could get an idea of what we may want to do for the rest of the day. Glad we stuck with our self guided walking tour of the forts. We had a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't do an excursion....walk to one of the forts. Tour the fort. Walk back down the hill through town, stop for lunch at one of the many great restaurants. Go back to ship. Easily done in 3 hours.