Question on booking Med. cruise 2018

My husband and I are thinking of booking a 12 night Med cruise on the Vision of the Seas. We were thinking of going the end of August, 2018 and was wondering about the weather and also, how far in advance do you start looking for flights? Could anyone give us any suggestions what a good price would be for airfare. We would be leaving from Philadelphia to Barcelona. Also, has anyone used Amex points to book their airfare.

Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

After looking for days on our own, used Royal's Air2Sea like Bob...they were fabulous, easy & cheaper than attempting to book it on our own from Tucson. We actually used them to go to Paris for a week...flew to Barcelona for a couple of days before the cruise then flew home. It was perfect. Enjoy!!! We loved our trip!!!

I would never do a Med (Venice/ Greek Isles) cruise in August again! Sweltering hot in Venice, Athens, Santorini)... It was so hot & humid that I was showering at least twice if not 3x's... It depends on your heat tolerance! Hordes of people in Venice, Santorini. When we were in Venice, we hardly toured around (we had been there a few times) so we opted for Burano. Much quieter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would never do a Med (Venice/ Greek Isles) cruise in August again! Sweltering hot in Venice, Athens, Santorini)... It was so hot & humid that I was showering at least twice if not 3x's... It depends on your heat tolerance! Hordes of people in Venice, Santorini. When we were in Venice, we hardly toured around (we had been there a few times) so we opted for Burano. Much quieter!!

I agree the weather in August is guaranteed to be very hot and it is school holidays so everywhere will be busy and more expensive.

The middle to end of September is definitely the best time to cruise here.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Hi Kathy,

We seem to "migrate" towards same ships -- first Jewel, now Vision :D

We've done many land trips in Europe before discovering cruising, and IMHO -- end of May-beginning of June gives u the best of all worlds... Less hot, less crowds (school still in), longer days. Also beginning-middle September.

August, in Med particularly - definitely no.

Flights - the moment they are out (~300 days).

Enjoy, Dani

I'm finding this thread very interesting. My DW and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on Aug 5th 2019. We are looking into a 12 or 14 day Med Cruise. My DW is a School principle so sadly, the times we can cruise are somewhat limited. We have already learned that Aug. might not be the best time to cruise the MED, but wondering about the end of June or beginning of July. Would it be as sweltering as in Aug?

Perhaps a Baltic, or Fjords cruise in Aug would be easier to handle ;-)

dp

Hi Kathy,

We seem to "migrate" towards same ships -- first Jewel, now Vision :D

We've done many land trips in Europe before discovering cruising, and IMHO -- end of May-beginning of June gives u the best of all worlds... Less hot, less crowds (school still in), longer days. Also beginning-middle September.

August, in Med particularly - definitely no.

Flights - the moment they are out (~300 days).

Enjoy, Dani

Lol we do like the same ships! We are thinking August 30 rate is very low

I'm finding this thread very interesting. My DW and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on Aug 5th 2019. We are looking into a 12 or 14 day Med Cruise. My DW is a School principle so sadly, the times we can cruise are somewhat limited. We have already learned that Aug. might not be the best time to cruise the MED, but wondering about the end of June or beginning of July. Would it be as sweltering as in Aug?

Perhaps a Baltic, or Fjords cruise in Aug would be easier to handle ;-)

dp

We went on Freedom 4-11 June this year 7 nights from Barcelona and the weather was perfect.

Last year we did Harmony 26th June-3rd July 7 nights out of Barcelona and it was high 70s but lovely.

From third week in July till first week in September the weather is very hot 85+ every day plus you have the school holidays so it is manic and sweltering hot and everywhere puts their prices up.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

August 30 u should be OK! (kids back in school;p)

I've looked at the itinerary - u get to sail in and out Venice - priceless:D

Yes I agree with Dani... Aug 30 less kids and great weather.

Best of all stellar itinerary with overnight in Venice plus next day in Kotor. You will never ever forget those days... book it! :D

My husband and I are thinking of booking a 12 night Med cruise on the Vision of the Seas. We were thinking of going the end of August, 2018 and was wondering about the weather and also, how far in advance do you start looking for flights? Could anyone give us any suggestions what a good price would be for airfare. We would be leaving from Philadelphia to Barcelona. Also, has anyone used Amex points to book their airfare.

Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Never go to Europe in any part of August. All of Europe is on vacation. Lines everywhere are hours long. Almost any public venue or significant location of interest will be packed. Wait until October, the weather will be beautiful and the lines nonexistent.