Anthem in winter. Who has done this?

Sailing the PC, Nassau, Coco Cay itinerary in Feb. We'll be driving down.

Come hell or high water, I'll be on my balcony for sailaway as it will be my first time in an aft balcony.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes approximately from the time you leave the pier until you're going under the bridge?

You'll never know, sometimes the Captain makes a mistake and goes up the Hudson. :halo: He did that last August on our 9 nite NE/Canada cruise. Hope you have the same luck. To go under the Verrazano, should be about 10 minutes.

Cr using may not be for you, if this ^ is really an issue.

Thanks. I do love cruising, but if I can knowingly prevent a reasonably high chance of the big waves that really rock the boat or come up splashing super high, I'll avoid it. I understand this can happen on any cruise, but I am wondering if the chances are higher on the Anthem in the winter, based on some of the reviews. I'm not backing out of the whole cruising world though, just avoiding the ones I know I may have a rougher ride in. ;)

Thanks. I do love cruising, but if I can knowingly prevent a reasonably high chance of the big waves that really rock the boat or come up splashing super high, I'll avoid it. I understand this can happen on any cruise, but I am wondering if the chances are higher on the Anthem in the winter, based on some of the reviews. I'm not backing out of the whole cruising world though, just avoiding the ones I know I may have a rougher ride in. ;)

Okay, given this input I would not recommend Anthem to you at all. The ship is narrower than most cruise ships and it seems to make it rock a bit more. I don't get sea sick at all and our cabin was pretty far forward, but I could still feel the motion - especially when the ship is booking up or down the east coast at high speed. The first night I actually felt like I was going to roll out of the bed! We love aft balconies so we are no strangers to motion, but this was a bit excessive. Sorry, but I don't think Anthem would be a good fit:(

Okay, given this input I would not recommend Anthem to you at all. The ship is narrower than most cruise ships and it seems to make it rock a bit more. I don't get sea sick at all and our cabin was pretty far forward, but I could still feel the motion - especially when the ship is booking up or down the east coast at high speed. The first night I actually felt like I was going to roll out of the bed! We love aft balconies so we are no strangers to motion, but this was a bit excessive. Sorry, but I don't think Anthem would be a good fit:(

It's all the luck of the draw, on our 12 nighter, the whole cruise was smooth as glass. We were first very concerned as our cruise was soon after the cruise from Hell.

It's all the luck of the draw, on our 12 nighter, the whole cruise was smooth as glass. We were first very concerned as our cruise was soon after the cruise from Hell.

Oh don't get me wrong- I agree with you and know that about cruising;). In fact we love the natural motion of a ship. However, you do have to agree that Anthem is narrower than say a voyager class or oasis class and rides completely different. I personally didn't find the movement to be problematic - BUT given that the OP says this freaks her out I would tell her to stay away from the Quantum class altogether:). JMHO

I beg to differ in my opinion. In winter you have to deal with the turbulence off of Cape Hatteras, NC. We sailed in January and encountered 30 foot waves in that area. You can look up more info about that, but it was described as colder water flowing down from the North to meet warmer water flowing up from the South. In addition, one has significantly more salinity than the other. The two do NOT play well together. (The area is also called the Graveyard of the Atlantic. Thinks is just to give you something to look up for more info, not to scare you. We were sometimes uncomfortable, but never felt in real danger.)

Our trip was a few weeks after the headline-making similar (but actually worse) Anthem trip you may have seen on TV.

In our case we also had to deal with Hurricane Sandy near the end of the cruise, which delayed our return by an extra day.

RCI handled everything the best they could, and we enjoyed the ship and staff, but overall we think winters out of Liberty are definitely not for us.

That certainly is not the case all the time. You can hear from lots of cruisers about terrible weather sailing out of Florida all times of the year. Terrible weather can happen anytime, anywhere

We went thru 25 ft waves on the Quantum and other than the creaking noise very little rocking & rolling. I remember sitting in the theatre at one performance, and a wave hit the side of the ship, and other than a large banging noise no major R&R.

Will be on Anthem in Dec 2018 from Bayonne to Bermuda. Booked with the understanding and knowledge that there's a chance of rough, winter seas in the N. Atlantic.

If you're prone to seasickness or have mobility issues, you may want to choose to sail from Florida where the seas tend to be calmer.

If you really want to be picky, the only ways to "answer the question you asked" (who has done this?) is "I have" or "Not me".

That is just the subject though....more in depth questions are in the body of the post.;)

Will be on Anthem in Dec 2018 from Bayonne to Bermuda. Booked with the understanding and knowledge that there's a chance of rough, winter seas in the N. Atlantic.

If you're prone to seasickness or have mobility issues, you may want to choose to sail from Florida where the seas tend to be calmer.

Don't expect balmy summer weather on your cruise.

I really don't understand going to Bermuda in December. :eek:

I've sailed the Quantum in early Feb. when the temperature was in the teens. First time sailing out of N/E (Bayonne) and enjoyed it as we got 12 nights for the price of a 7 niter out of Florida. You lose about 1.5 days each way, but still got more than 7 days of fun & sun. Going down was no problem, however, on the return, as soon as we reached Nassau, we began encountering up to 25 ft waves. One wave and related spray reached the Solarium deck and I was impressed. The ship creaked like heck, but not much rocking & rolling--guess great stabilizers. When we approached the metro area the outside temperature was -10 degrees and the swim pool and surrounding area was like an ice rink.

Had such a great time and are scheduled the same itinerary on the Anthem on Jan.

28th.

I used to live in Bayonne and now live close by. I have never seen the temperature at -10.

Oh don't get me wrong- I agree with you and know that about cruising;). In fact we love the natural motion of a ship. However, you do have to agree that Anthem is narrower than say a voyager class or oasis class and rides completely different. I personally didn't find the movement to be problematic - BUT given that the OP says this freaks her out I would tell her to stay away from the Quantum class altogether:). JMHO

What makes you think that the Anthem is narrower than most cruise ships?

I don't see it that way at all, and checking the stats on Wikipedia, I find the beam at the waterline (where it really counts) as being 136 feet....

Compared with the Voyager and Freedom Classes at 126 feet

the older RCI ships being less than that, and only the Oasis Class wider at 155 feet.

Also, for comparison, the Norwegian Breakaway is 130 feet, and the Queen Mary 2 is 135 feet.

The extreme width of the superstructure is wider on most ships, than their hulls, say over the bridge wings, or certain features cantilevered out the sides, but the beam measured at the waterline is what matters.