Most memorable tablemates

cruzincurt

Who was your most memorable tablemates? We started off years ago with the mandatory table for 8 at fixed dining time. Later, we started to select two tops as we are not very outgoing with chit-chat.

However, back on a cruise just after the start of the first Gulf war, we were at that table for 8 with 3 other couples our age. Totally unexpected to all of us, at the first formal night, one couple came to dinner in their US Marine dress blues. Turns out they were both Sergeants stationed at Camp Lejeune. Boy did they look sharp.

I was never so proud to be an American. Our table was the MDR center of attention that night. Later, they told me that they never had to buy a drink the remainder of the cruise. Meeting and dining with these Marines is the most memorable from our 49 cruises so far.

Who was your most memorable tablemates? We started off years ago with the mandatory table for 8 at fixed dining time. Later, we started to select two tops as we are not very outgoing with chit-chat.

However, back on a cruise just after the start of the first Gulf war, we were at that table for 8 with 3 other couples our age. Totally unexpected to all of us, at the first formal night, one couple came to dinner in their US Marine dress blues. Turns out they were both Sergeants stationed at Camp Lejeune. Boy did they look sharp.

I was never so proud to be an American. Our table was the MDR center of attention that night. Later, they told me that they never had to buy a drink the remainder of the cruise. Meeting and dining with these Marines is the most memorable from our 49 cruises so far.

What a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing -- made my day.

First cruise I took I boarded the ship 2 months to the day after 911. I went solo. I didn't know anything about anything so didn't know I could choose my dining time or move to another table. Mostly I ate at the buffet but on formal night went to dinner in the MDR. Anyway, I was seated at a table for 8 and no one else showed up. Felt kind of weird. A lovely Canadian couple sitting nearby invited me to their table. So sweet.

But, the best was last cruise. British Isles, anytime dining. Sis and I were seated with 3 couples. We had so much fun we completely missed our evening plans. Didn't even know what time it was or how long we sat there.

Great story!

Way back in 2006 we sat with Bob & Nadine at dinner for 10 days and we clicked! This is the 1st year since then we have not cruised together (for medical reasons). They live in Flint, MI and we live on the NC coast. Three times they have driven to our house and we drive to our cruise together. We always drive, they also fly or once drove but we always meet on board and have dinner together every night. We have a rule we follow. We do whatever tour we want and it its the same, great. Otherwise we tell each other about it. We always sit in one place and they know how to find us- if they want to. We stay friends doing cruises for these reasons.

We always ask for large tables...on the Celebrity Summit a couple of years ago, we had a great combination of people...a couple from California ( husband worked as security guard in a maximum security prison ), 2 friends traveling together who barely spoke, a couple ( the woman was always drunk and spilling secrets ) and finally a single mom with a 21 year old daughter who has down syndrome...she enchanted us all and a few of us ended up buying her small gifts in each port...the mom was fantastic with her and we all fell in love with this great twosome. At the end of the cruise we were all taking photos and hugging...I was sorry to see this group go.

I think we have enjoyed most of our tablemates, but one who stood out for me was a lovely woman named Ronnie. She was a widow, and although I'm sure she missed her husband, she didn't let it slow her down. She continued to cruise solo after his passing, and did the most interesting things in port. She once ran a marathon at one of her port stops! Lovely woman. I always thought if my husband pre-deceased me, I would want to keep on traveling like she did. :)

Most memorable table mate, was a Captain on a Princess ship, we did a 4 night out of Florida once, can't recall the ship's name... was not around long... Captain was nearing retirement and we had a blast with him... we met for cocktails which is typical, at the Captain's table, had a nice diner, drinks after dinner... then join him in his cabin for a tour... he was full of stories and lots of fun, -- we shared this experience with two other couples.