Stay in FLL or MIA?

andie717

Hello!

We are cruising out of Miami on April 1, 2018. We are planning to fly in a day or 2 ahead of time (we being me, husband, and two daughters, age 14 and 11). Is it better to stay in FLL and Uber to POM in the morning? Or cover the "commute" upon landing and spend our free time in Miami? Opinions as to which area would have more appeal to the kids? Currently I have the DoubleTree Biscyane Bay booked, but cancellable.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Miami, overall has more to offer, especially without a car. You can get around downtown and brickell pretty easy. The new science museum is great for the kids. Quick and cheap uber to Miami Beach.

Many will say FLL is more family friendly, they may be right, especially if you just want to relax on the beach and shop. But Miami has more attractions and things to do.

What do you want to do the day or two before?

We have stayed at both locations so either one is fine but we do prefer Miami over Fort Lauderdale.

With that said I would also select Miami since that is where the cruise starts so I think it is easier to just stay in Miami so you are closer to the port on embarkation day.

I prefer the downtown Miami area but you could take a taxi or UBER (I would go with UBER) over to South Beach and walk around there and also go to the beach.

This is a list of some of the downtown hotels in Miami. Certainly another option is to stay in Miami Beach. I just find it quieter downtown.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Closeto the Port:

Intercontinental

MarriottMaquis (about four years old)

EpicHotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

HolidayInn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt(I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively closeso no worries.

JWMarriott

ConradHilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

HamptonInn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a niceHampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental andending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott rightnext to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots ofstores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

Budget would help the suggestions to be closer to your target. You are looking for rooms near Easter - big spring break season for lots of families - I would book something ASAP and then keep shopping.

All around downtown-brickell area the prices are high especially during spring - but the hotel you have booked is very nice... it's a little old fashion on the outside but the rooms are completely new... it is right next to the Marriott the area is ok during the day but please have caution during the evening -tourists everywhere we go we are a walking target for theft... not a lot happening at night so please be careful and remember it is a downtown area so just an eye opener... I'm a Miami native and work in the area so I'm just putting it out there... your hotel is very conveniently located short rides to South Beach which can be a little crazy and also close to brickell lots of dining options and shops and of course you have bayside (tourist trap) but nonetheless nice experience... downtown is under construction so many streets are closed... they are building a fast rail train that connects folks to Orlando... worth the ugly mess.... hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I vote for staying in Miami Beach away from the downtown and right on the beach. I booked 2 nights at a price I can live with already right on the beach with pool and private beach and pool loungers included. want to avoid spring breakers looking for bargain rooms (which don't exist IMHO) plus I want to make my 2 nights very nice as I booked insides on the ship. Lol and I have zero delusions of using the ships pool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums