Help...first cruise questions! Thank you!

Hello, we will be going on our first cruise this weekend...just a 4 day to Nassau, Cococay, and Key West, just to see how we like it! My husband and 2 young adult children will be with me. We are wondering how much cash people recommend bringing? Also, if we try to bring our own bottled water would this be better to put in a carry on bag or a checked bag onto the ship? Has anyone used Book a Tour Caribbean for a day pass in Nassau to the Breezes? or Resort for a Day? I recently read where someone had a long wait/tickets to get off the ship for a tender so I didn't know if that was an issue for Cococay? We hope to enjoy as much of the day in the ports/beaches as possible. Suggestions for best snorkeling between the 3 ports? Also, any need for water shoes due to rocky beaches or are they pretty smooth?

Edited by 4 rookies
forgot something

Welcome. Just know that a 4 day to the Bahamas is not typical. Saying that have a great time. Haven't done Coco Cay do can't help there. On board everything is charged to your account and usually settled with the credit card you gave them when you checked in. If you are new to the island you can take a RCI tour. Just plan on enjoying your trip.

Coco Cay is the private island RCI uses. It's just like being on the ship..everything except the "straw market" stuff will be charged to your account. You can set up your account with a credit card or cash. Debit cards are accepted but NOT recommended, as long-lasting "holds" can occur on your account. Better to use cash than a debit card. Coco Cay is a beach day, pure and simple. Loungers are everywhere and free to all. Lunch is brought from the ship and served on the island. (It's also served on the ship, for those who don't go ashore or stay all day on Coco Cay!)

Key West is fun. Totally walkable...and it's a great DIY day. Nassau is easy to DIY, too. I recommend you get a guidebook from your library and read up on Nassau and Key West. There are no "guidebooks" for Coco Cay....none needed!

We usually bring about $1500....for a week....I'd rather have more than I need than need it and not have it! If it's not spent, it goes back into the bank when we get home! There is a safe in your cabin to store you money and other valuables.

The ship's water is fine...you really don't need to lug great quantities of water! Bring a few refillable bottles, if you must have water "in hand" all the time. On the ship, you can get ice water EVERYWHERE....every bar and eating venue will give you water!

I don't believe you will need water shoes with those ports but hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm. In the meantime, I suggest you check out the ports of call boards for some of your port specific questions.

Here is the link to the Bahamas' board. Just do a thread search if you need info on Breezes.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Have a wonderful cruise! Most likely you'll be hooked like the rest of us! If so and you are eager to plan your next be sure to visit the "Next Cruise" desk while on board so you can sign up for Crown and Anchor and book with a couple of extra perks.

Hello, we will be going on our first cruise this weekend...just a 4 day to Nassau, Cococay, and Key West, just to see how we like it! My husband and 2 young adult children will be with me. We are wondering how much cash people recommend bringing? Also, if we try to bring our own bottled water would this be better to put in a carry on bag or a checked bag onto the ship? Has anyone used Book a Tour Caribbean for a day pass in Nassau to the Breezes? or Resort for a Day? I recently read where someone had a long wait/tickets to get off the ship for a tender so I didn't know if that was an issue for Cococay? We hope to enjoy as much of the day in the ports/beaches as possible. Suggestions for best snorkeling between the 3 ports? Also, any need for water shoes due to rocky beaches or are they pretty smooth?

Have a great time! Key West is incredible, we stopped there and weren't that thrilled with the idea since it was a US port but we had a great time. We went to the Hemmingway house and say the 6-toed cats then wandered around bar hopping. Quaint place. I haven't been to cococay but been to other private islands for other lines and it's always a good time. Nassau I can take or leave. I don't think you need water shoes. As for the bottled water, bring one and refill and if you have to purchase some, it shouldn't break the bank. Our first cruise was almost 20 years ago and my husband wasn't thrilled with the idea of cruising. We'll be taking our 20th for our 20th anniversary in the fall!

We were recently on coco cay in June. The water was horrible due to the level of seaweed. You could barely walk in the water unless you were on a sand bar. Of course, that could have just been our location on beach. We booked a bed on the beach and just relaxed all day. My kids (12 & 20) loved it and the bed comes with floating mats which helped with the water situation. Here are some pics to show you the water at high and low tides. Low tide, you can see the seaweed poke out of the water in the pics. I'm sure some people love coco cay, but I didn't. 7ffc6d4b2ecbb92c4006bee46100a0a0.jpg8518c16050a433ef777f74d51180ff07.jpg765ae4440d5a52e3ab3963ec3b4ede79.jpg5bda8f576f4046d6356effe780c2ffda.jpgb88259ea2a28fcb0e6072f1a8bf55241.jpgff66a27561d78a71cc4513eb7f9512dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know what ship your on, but the tender ships are pretty large and can hold quite a few people. We had a line, but that was only because we went to wait before first tender was in position. We love being one of the first ones off the ship. Here's a pic of one of the tender ships. As for the water, the ship we were on (Grandeur), I saw people bring on cases of water as part of their carry on luggage. Not sure how it is for other ships though. Nassau and key west are amazing! You'll have a great time!! a0f71ed4184347976f738a2285fc66c9.jpg

I would bring water shoes for Coco Cay. I bring my dive booties. I loved the bungalow, not cabana. Transportation to and back to the dock to the ferry. You pick your lunch. You can still go to the BBQ for everyone if you want.

Get up early if you want to be on one of the first ferries. The line moves quickly.

Hello, we will be going on our first cruise this weekend...just a 4 day to Nassau, Cococay, and Key West, just to see how we like it! My husband and 2 young adult children will be with me. Suggestions for best snorkeling between the 3 ports?

Of the three, Nassau! :D

Thank you all so much for all the information! I am a person who likes to be organized but never cruising before makes me feel a little like a fish out of water! I am sure we will have a good time...thanks again!

while its good to have an emergency stash of money I usually bring about $400 but rarely spend more than about $100 because everything is on my credit card except for tips. Now if you are going to use cash for your purchases then you will need much more depending on your plans.

For a 4 day cruise out of Miami I take less cash than I would for a 7 day cruise elsewhere, You can use your credit/debit cards in Key West and Nassau. I generally carry about $150 for a 4 day cruise and $400 for a 7 day. I havent' read to many problems about tendering at Coco Cay with Enchantment, you shouldn't need a ticket or wait too long.

as for the water, we just tape a luggage tag to the package and it shows up with my luggage

cash...we usually bring $200-$300 in assorted bills...mostly $5 and $10's for tips