Single passenger prices.....Really?

Apparently solo travelers don't qualify for the Suite Guarantee rates. Since I've considered sailing by myself at some point, I sat down and did some price comparison on an upcoming (August 2017) sailing on Oasis. I tried it for both 2 passengers and 1 passenger, and both signed into my C&A account and not signed in. The short answer is, with the current sale the C&A discount is worthless, and a solo passenger would be Royally screwed if they wanted a Junior Suite.

When logged into my C&A account:

2 passengers, Suite Gty, $2539 total, including C&A discount of $76 and BOGO

1 passenger, no Suite Gty available, JS is $4136 total, including C&A discount of $100 and BOGO50

When NOT logged into my C&A account:

2 passengers, Suite Gty, $2596 total plus $100 OBC, including BOGO

1 passenger, no Suite Gty available, JS is $4210 plus $100 OBC, including BOGO50

So I have to wonder, if I book a Suite Gty for 2 passengers and only 1 passenger shows up, would they reprice the whole thing without the Gty?

Apparently solo travelers don't qualify for the Suite Guarantee rates. Since I've considered sailing by myself at some point, I sat down and did some price comparison on an upcoming (August 2017) sailing on Oasis. I tried it for both 2 passengers and 1 passenger, and both signed into my C&A account and not signed in. The short answer is, with the current sale the C&A discount is worthless, and a solo passenger would be Royally screwed if they wanted a Junior Suite.

When logged into my C&A account:

2 passengers, Suite Gty, $2539 total, including C&A discount of $76 and BOGO

1 passenger, no Suite Gty available, JS is $4136 total, including C&A discount of $100 and BOGO50

When NOT logged into my C&A account:

2 passengers, Suite Gty, $2596 total plus $100 OBC, including BOGO

1 passenger, no Suite Gty available, JS is $4210 plus $100 OBC, including BOGO50

So I have to wonder, if I book a Suite Gty for 2 passengers and only 1 passenger shows up, would they reprice the whole thing without the Gty?

Have no clue if this would work... but what if you booked for two, and on the cruise the other passenger suddenly got "sick" and you just went alone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't quite understand how the algorithm works. I took a solo cruise on the Grandeur in February. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing when I booked in November. I had to change my original February cruise to just last week. However, I found that I still had time off for the original time period, so i looked into a solo cruise on my own. I told myself that if it was a decent price, I would jump at it.

I found my grandeur cruise in late February for a large interior for 970 for myself solo for 9 nights (including tax and port fees). I booked it immediately. It was listed as 549/person on the website. However, when i tried to book the same room for two when playing around, the price came back at about 1550 for 2, including port fees and costs. For some reason, the existing sale I purchased under, actually gave me a way better than normal deal solo.

I found my grandeur cruise in late February for a large interior for 970 for myself solo for 9 nights (including tax and port fees). I booked it immediately. It was listed as 549/person on the website. However, when i tried to book the same room for two when playing around, the price came back at about 1550 for 2, including port fees and costs. For some reason, the existing sale I purchased under, actually gave me a way better than normal deal solo.

Sounds like the solo supplement was about 150%. Don't go by the initial web site price - the real price doesn't show up until you get much further into the booking.

Sounds like the solo supplement was about 150%. Don't go by the initial web site price - the real price doesn't show up until you get much further into the booking.

No, it was 200%, because the breakdown was like 1100 (which was 200%) plus port fees it came out to 1250ish and, but then you took the discount off of an imaginary 2nd person (because that was the sale). When i had two people on, the price for each person was HIGHER, and then they took 50% of off that higher price and applied it.

My suspicion is that sometimes when you book during the BOGO promotion, it kicks out a lower than normal price sometimes (but not all the times). I've seen it go the opposite too when i mock book another similar cruise.

^ you are making the mistake of looking at any of the numbers but the final - the only one that matters. If you paid 970 solo and the "real" price for double occupancy was 1550, then the solo rate was about 150%.

^ you are making the mistake of looking at any of the numbers but the final - the only one that matters. If you paid 970 solo and the "real" price for double occupancy was 1550, then the solo rate was about 150%.

True, but the single supplement is confusing to begin with. I priced another solo cruise, for the same ship and this time. 1131 for solo, 1350 for double for an interior. for 9 nights.

If i find another solo 9 nighter for that price next year, i'm jumping on it, but its unlikely. I need 18 points to hit Diamond.

Some cabins are marked up double + 10% I guess they must account for the money that's lost in on board spending. It makes my Mom who travels solo cabin see red😟

As was mentioned, in that case, simply book for two with a fake second person who will be a no show at check in.

As was mentioned, in that case, simply book for two with a fake second person who will be a no show at check in.

How do you know the second person will be a no show? Do you remember what happened to Laura Holt when she invented the fictitious Remington Steele?

what irks me the most is that they won't let me book an interior on MJ as a solo, I have to book an oceanview or higher.

You cannot book at all, or they won't let you book with the 150% single supplement?

How do you know the second person will be a no show? Do you remember what happened to Laura Holt when she invented the fictitious Remington Steele?

Oh, I think I could manage to share a room with Pierce Brosnan. :hearteyes:

what irks me the most is that they won't let me book an interior on MJ as a solo, I have to book an oceanview or higher.

Are all the remaining interior cabins for 3 or 4? Solo's can't book those.

the website says there are no interiors available, but if I add a second person to the ressie, then interiors become available.

Odd. I've heard of singles not able to book guarantees, but not specific staterooms.