Future Cruise Credits-Unable to Use due to Health Reasons

lorenzod

If you already know you are not going to use them, just put them on ebay as the lowest priced compared to market; make it buy it now and be done with it. If there are 3-4 years left on them you might get 60-70 cents on the dollar for them. If there are 2-3 years left on them expect 50 cents on the dollar. If under a year left to use them just blow them out at 30-40 cents on the dollar before they are worthless. I've been dealing with ebay 15+ years and have had many negative experiences, so I understand your apprehension. Just be sure to be specific about what you are selling, no refunds, this is a resell, here is expiry date, etc.

I guess a point was made here to call NCL. A 10 minute phone call won't cost you anything but 10 minutes to find out if they are willing to make an exception for you or not. If not, well, 10 minutes and at least you know. I'd suspect if they were willing to do anything it would probably be in the 60 cents on the dollar range. I would have no demand or expectation of them doing anything though.

Or try a social media group page. But if you try to ask a cent over $150 they'll shred ya...

Good luck with your sale.

Perhaps OP should have bought insurance for the FCC. Is such insurance available? How much would it cost?

I tend to doubt it. Keep in mind that no one HAS to buy these. If you are positive you'll want to take another NCL cruise in spite of possible changes on your end (health, work, family) or changes in NCL's end (changing promotions, changing itineraries, changing prices); then the future credits are a good deal. Outside of that they are usually a really bad deal. I imagine many go unused for a variety of reasons causing you to lose out on $150 each; whereas if you do use it, NCL exchanges $100 for having you on the hook to keep your business with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the part you are missing when people keep saying "but she is asking to return them for HEALTH REASONS" is that to call NCL and say any other reason is lying. I think if you called them with your list of reasons, you wouldnt have a leg to stand on since none of the things you listed are part of the value of the $250 off a cruise certificate... but either way... to call and say it is for any reason other than health reasons would be lying. I think personal integrity is worth more than $150. Just my two cents though.

The op didn't ask for a refund because he probably doesn't know it's a possibility at this point.

It's just another option for the op to ask for a refund but please read carefully...that I said it was a POSSIBILITY....not a 100% guarantee

It's been done before as posted on these boards after the 30 day mark and I'm not disputing the validity of posters who have done it....I'm just saying I've seen it posted that's its been successful

When ncl asks why he cant go with

His health

His displeasure with ncl changes

You are acting as though ncl will be able to read the ops mind over the phone but they can't so he can use any argument that works

Or he can sell them. Give them away or just write them off.

Fwiw....I wouldn't worry about losing $125 or $150 if the reason I couldn't go was health related. I'd give them away if I couldn't sell them or I'd let let expire and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone on this board actually managed to get a refund of their future cruise deposits with this sort of argument?

Besides, the most they will do is refund your money (taking into account the OBC you already got), so you will have gone to all the trouble for nothing. On the other hand, if you know how to sell, you can end up $50+ ahead for your efforts, per certificate.

In fact most people do not pay $150 for their future Cruise certificate when they buy two of these. When you buy two at one time you get them $250 for two certificates. So this guy probably paid $125 each for his two certificates and was sort of hoping someone here would want to buy them at face value giving him a big profit.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We bought two future cruise certificates and went to use them today and were told we can only use one against an interior cabin and if we want to use the two for the same cruise we have to buy a balcony or above.

Shame they never told us that was in their T&C when we bought them. Shame their all inclusive prices are so expensive now especially as neither of us drink alcohol.

Hey ho you live and learn.

We bought two future cruise certificates and went to use them today and were told we can only use one against an interior cabin and if we want to use the two for the same cruise we have to buy a balcony or above.

Shame they never told us that was in their T&C when we bought them. Shame their all inclusive prices are so expensive now especially as neither of us drink alcohol.

No offense, but it is YOUR responsibility as a consumer to read the T/C's for yourself.

No offense, but it is YOUR responsibility as a consumer to read the T/C's for yourself.

We might have read them if they had given us anything in writing, they just emailed our certificate numbers. Do you normally get printed certificates with T&C on them?

When we purchased our last 2, you couldn't use 2 on any cabin type.

We might have read them if they had given us anything in writing, they just emailed our certificate numbers. Do you normally get printed certificates with T&C on them?
When did your purchased your 2 certificates ?

Years ago, NCL would issued them in writing & mail it as part of the confirmation when it was still referred to as "Future Cruise Rewards" - we have kept our records of those ... and unless a waiver was given, limit of one FCR per booking was the routine.

With the transition to CruiseNext and CN Ultimate program, terms & conditions were changed - and, most recently this April - where it specifically redefined and stated that 2 CN can be used only for balcony & higher bookings, etc. etc. Exceptions were made during specific sales & cruises, etc. under qualifying conditions.

Unless you verbally ordered & gave the go-ahead to purchase these 2 certificates, the form distributed on the ship had the fine prints and disclosures on it (see below from one of ours - tiny fonts, but it's there.)

I know we booked one in 2016, asked & were able to use 2 of them - so it was like getting $250 off. Our friends booked the same itinerary a day later, asked & tried - and was unable to do it, less than 24 hours later ... for whatever reasons. We got lucky, somehow - and not blaming NCL for saying "no" to them.

Maybe waiting and call back - try a different NCL agent to see if you have better luck ... depending on when you plan to sail, etc. It is possible ... but it is mostly an exception, often during special sales and not widely publicized and exclusive to limited itineraries & ships - FWIW.

Good luck.

57a1ebf82735f60b0bc2fe66f483d066.jpg

Just as an update I emailed NCL about transferring the credits and this is the reply I received which contradicts the information previously given that the credits can be sold on eBay etc etc:-

"Thank you for your email and enquiry

We can confirm that when you purchase a cruise next voucher you have a 30 day cooling off period.

Once you have gone over this time period then the cruise next voucher cannot be refunded back to the Guest.

The Cruise next vouchers are only given to the Guests who purchases them and cannot be sold on to a third party.

Kind regards

David Edmunds | Helpdesk "

You can give them to a 3rd party

The 3rd party can give you cash for them

You can transfer them via my Ncl as well however I'm thinking what Ncl means is you can't sell them for a profit...but nonetheless ...you can transfer or give them away...and if you get cash for them all the better ....does Ncl count your wallet cash? Does Ncl monitor your checking account?

Ask around

Ask family

Ask friends

No need to use eBay

Just simple word of mouth and a simple post on your private FB page (your kids pages too)and those pages should not be public but set to friends only anyway

That you have a cert available if anyone is interested. Then make the deal via the phone or iMessage/text or in person ... not on social media

We have a timeshare that we were just going to leave empty for 4 days (out of 14 days) to get dd back to campus....but dd being very smart ...just put the word out...and 15 minutes later a friend of a friend booked the days from us....it's all very easy btw

If you want to unload certs...you tell family...friends...neighbors..not because they may buy it but because they know people...they work with people etc...

Of course you must sell the thing at a good price...remember you only paid $125 or $150 for it....not $250.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

I was allowed to use 2 for a studio cabin this October so very happy (and amazed :p). I was starting to panic NCL were getting too expensive so glad to be able to use both my credits .

I was allowed to use 2 for a studio cabin this October so very happy (and amazed :p). I was starting to panic NCL were getting too expensive so glad to be able to use both my credits .

Did you book through an agent or NCL direct? They are adamant I can't use both unless I book a balcony. Likewise they are adamant I can't transfer them either.

Can't see any way of transferring them on NCL site either on My NCL as advised in another post. Maybe the T&C are different in the USA to the UK.

Thanks

Did you book through an agent or NCL direct? They are adamant I can't use both unless I book a balcony. Likewise they are adamant I can't transfer them either.

Can't see any way of transferring them on NCL site either on My NCL as advised in another post. Maybe the T&C are different in the USA to the UK.

Thanks

Bernipops. I'm in the UK and booked through a TA. I did call NCL direct first for a price, and they confirmed for the Epic I could use two CruiseNext credits on cruises before end of October on ANY cabin. However when I went to book through my TA (as they were giving me a 5% discount) they were told NCL said only one could be used. But she rang again and this time I could use two. So think it depends who you get on the other end of the line!!!

I must admit when I bought them last year I was aware you could usually only use one per cruise (unless they have certain promotions). I just called on the off-chance last week as was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to use both.

Bernipops. I'm in the UK and booked through a TA. I did call NCL direct first for a price, and they confirmed for the Epic I could use two CruiseNext credits on cruises before end of October on ANY cabin. However when I went to book through my TA (as they were giving me a 5% discount) they were told NCL said only one could be used. But she rang again and this time I could use two. So think it depends who you get on the other end of the line!!!

I must admit when I bought them last year I was aware you could usually only use one per cruise (unless they have certain promotions). I just called on the off-chance last week as was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to use both.

Thanks for the information. I think you are quite right that it depends who you get on the phone but I have tried a couple of times with no success as has my TA.

As an update with regarding to selling the certificates, I reworded an email to NCL asking if I could GIVE them to another person and was told yes I could providing they were also Latitude members. Not sure at this stage if I can be bothered with the hassle of selling and "gifting" them as I'm a bit wary of eBay these days. If I come across someone who is doing an NCL cruise at some time then I will think again.

Hope you have a great cruise Epic is lovely.

It isn't who you get on the phone. There are times when they allow you to use 2 and Misself got in during one of those times. Sometimes they allow you to use 2 on particular sailings like European. It changes pretty much constantly as it is a special to try and get people onboard.