Veendam in Bermuda Review

taxmantoo

Hint: buy the two day transportation pass right at the bus station in Hamilton. This pass will also include the ferry. You can get to the beaches, Navy DockYard (if you must), and St. George at the other end of the island. Get yourself a DK travel book and figure out what is important for you to see. Just the bus ride around the island is a joy.

We were on the same cruise as Taxman. Taking the bus in Bermuda is very easy and a pleasure.

The first day - the day with the torrential downpour we spent at Flanagan's Irish Pub waiting for the rain to subside with some Dark and Stomys.

The next day we were on the 9am bus to St. George. For the three of us we purchased a pack of 15 tickets for around $38. Loved our bus driver Mr. Bridges and the incredibly polite and friendly locals we met on the way. We meandered around St. George and then walked over to Tobacco Bay - a nice little beach. On the way back we stopped to see the ruins of the unfinished Church.

The next day we took the bus to Horseshoe Beach and if you are a beach person this is definitely a must do. We still had three bus tickets left and tried to give them away to people we met on the bus, but everyone had enough tickets of their own or bus passes. We ended up giving them to our favourite bartender who mentioned that he was going to Horseshoe with friends the next morning before departure.

Bermuda buses are spotless. No food or beverages allowed, no helmets, no towels, or bathing suits. Friendly locals, drivers in Bermuda shorts and socks. It was a very civilized experience.

Regarding cabin location - we were deck 4 forward. At this point I will digress and mention my only negAtive comment. At one of the bars a suite couple asked about our cabin - we said we were on deck four. Their response: "What's that?" They were pretty adamant thAt there were no cabins below Deck 9. From then on whenever someone asked I just said we were in Steerage and that shut people up pretty fast.

However, this fantastic cabin in steerage was literally right around the corner from the stairs leading to the gangway on Deck 3. It could not have been anymore convenient considering we were coming and going multiple times a day. If we do Bermuda again, I would gladly book Steerage Class and this cabin again.

Cheers

:confused:

Just got off the Veendam July 8 cruise to Bermuda and have prepared this short review ...

- The plumbing worked perfectly.

- The air conditioning worked perfectly.

- All HAL staff were wonderful.

- The food was very nice.

- The wine selection was excellent. (We brought on our own :p)

- Stryker was his usual entertaining self.

- Being docked in downtown Hamilton was very convenient.

Will be happy to answer any questions concerning ship or itinerary.

How did you bring your own wine? I didn't think they would allow it.

:confused:

How did you bring your own wine? I didn't think they would allow it.

You can bring on as much wine as you can physically handle. We have a designated suitcase. :D

"Each guest 21 years^ and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard."

$18 per bottle? Do they actually open your luggage and count how many bottles you have?

You carry the bottles on yourself. You have to present the bottles so the stickers showing you have paid the corkage fee can be placed on them.

Any tips on how to avoid their detection? $18 each is probably more than the bottles are worth

Then I suggest you purchase your wine on board. As a Canadian on American soil, aiding and abetting is something I tend to shy away from.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if there is a beach within walking distance of the Hamilton cruise port? Thinking about taking HAL to Bermuda but a member of our party is very interested in going to the beach. Just curious if there is one close by.

Can anyone tell me if there is a beach within walking distance of the Hamilton cruise port? Thinking about taking HAL to Bermuda but a member of our party is very interested in going to the beach. Just curious if there is one close by.

No. The beaches are located outside of town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...
Just got off the Veendam July 8 cruise to Bermuda and have prepared this short review ...

- The plumbing worked perfectly.

- The air conditioning worked perfectly.

- All HAL staff were wonderful.

- The food was very nice.

- The wine selection was excellent. (We brought on our own :p)

- Stryker was his usual entertaining self.

- Being docked in downtown Hamilton was very convenient.

Will be happy to answer any questions concerning ship or itinerary.

Can you tell me if it is possible for the balconies to connect? Hoping to that two rooms together with a connecting balcony. Also, would you recommend the "port" side of the ship?

Can you tell me if it is possible for the balconies to connect? Hoping to that two rooms together with a connecting balcony. Also, would you recommend the "port" side of the ship?

Most balconies can be opened to connect with the adjacent one.

As for the side, it depends on your preference. The starboard side usually faces Front Street and can be noisier although some people like to see and feel the action. We were on the port side and had a beautiful quiet view of parts of the island and the ocean.

Just recently learned that Veendam docked in Hamilton - and bonus: departs/returns Boston! I’m going to watch this thread closely until I can find time to book it - probably in 2019.

And...

Does HAL offer excursions in Bermuda?

Edited by What was that?

Just recently learned that Veendam docked in Hamilton - and bonus: departs/returns Boston! I’m going to watch this thread closely until I can find time to book it - probably in 2019.

And...

Does HAL offer excursions in Bermuda?

Fairly certain excursions are offered, but honestly it is SO easy to get around the island on your own and far less expensive.

The bus system is very easy to navigate, and the main depot is just a short walk from where the Veendam docks. The ferry dock is even closer and can take you across to King's Wharf and then on to St. George.

Suggest a good guidebook (like Fodor's) and a bus route map. You can see a lot of the island just exploring on your own and since the ship remains in port overnight there's less pressure to cut touring short to get back on board.

Thanks msmayor.

We have been to Bermuda a few times - never on a cruise - and have the motorbike road-rash scars to prove it. I agree with the recommendation for travel by bus as we have used it, and found it simple, efficient, and affordable. I was just asking because my DW had asked, and I am very supportive of all travel inquiries.