Mexico All-Inclusive Alcohol... This is a tad alarming.

sweetpee_1993

Maybe "potentially tainted" will make folks happier... ;)

With 385,000 results on tainted I think we're past the Tipping Point. The real point is all of the tainted alcohol has been confiscated so there is no issue at this point.

Yes you are citing the facts correctly, that is very refreshing to see for once! The producer was cited for illicit alcohol, and Fat Tuesday in Cancun and the bar at Iberostar Paraiso were temporarily suspended because they were found to be using said illicit alcohol. Many other very popular restaurants and bars in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen were named in the investigation so people need to understand the facts and the real scope of the findings. A big part of the findings were health issues including cleanliness and maintenance issues. The terms I mentioned were used in the report, but everyone and their brother wants to use the term "tainted", and my point is don't make that leap until you have the facts to support that conclusion.

The "Don't go to Mexico" folks gotta love this stuff! ;)

I spend a lot of time in Mexico and a good portion of that time is outside the popular tourist destinations. I think seriously about living at least part of the year in Mexico when I am done working. However, I still try to be realistic about the place. These means considering both good and bad things about Mexico in a reasoned way. As a foreigner, I also act in a respectful manner there and try to understand the culture and rules.

One aspect of this government investigation that bugs me is that the government really only cares about the tourist areas (i.e., money) and not really public safety at large. I know people outside of tourist areas who would never order a mixed drink at a bar as they wouldn't trust the contents. For them, they like to see the bottle brought to the table sealed and opened at the table - spirits and/or beer.

I spend a lot of time in Mexico and a good portion of that time is outside the popular tourist destinations. I think seriously about living at least part of the year in Mexico when I am done working. However, I still try to be realistic about the place. These means considering both good and bad things about Mexico in a reasoned way. As a foreigner, I also act in a respectful manner there and try to understand the culture and rules.

One aspect of this government investigation that bugs me is that the government really only cares about the tourist areas (i.e., money) and not really public safety at large. I know people outside of tourist areas who would never order a mixed drink at a bar as they wouldn't trust the contents. For them, they like to see the bottle brought to the table sealed and opened at the table - spirits and/or beer.

Have you run into or ever heard of counterfeit bottle seals

Have you run into or ever heard of counterfeit bottle seals

I have never had a serious problem of any kind in Mexico including counterfeit bottle seals. I have also never been shaken down by the local police or robbed. Of course I try to avoid problems and maybe that's why I haven't experienced issues - e.g., no rural highways at night, avoid areas where violence is prevalent, go out in a group, never drink and drive, etc.

My only issues have come from food poisoning from what I think was expired or poorly prepared food. I can count these incidents with one hand over many years. In fact, it is so infrequent that I seem to forget and repeat the same sins - e.g., dipping chips into a salsa that is mayonnaise-based that has been sitting outside for a long time.

I do see the state department has a new update that calls out Cancun and Los Cabos.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

With 385,000 results on tainted I think we're past the Tipping Point. The real point is all of the tainted alcohol has been confiscated so there is no issue at this point.

THAT is exactly the problem you and a few others in these threads have - adding your misinformation - or in the case of the "Don't go to Mexico" folks, biased view - to the mess.

Now you are Googling a term that is nowhere to be found in the Mexican government report and is being thrown around by you and others - many of whom never read that report (or ever been to Mexico, just a little tidbit - and making the mess we're seeing in these forums. It's a field day for the "Don't go to Mexico" crowd. Don't use common sense and sound reasoning when interpreting the facts, just do a Google search on a term you like to use and post those results as your evidence - excellent!

It doesn't make sense to continue to respond to this or other threads that are being "tainted", and the issue is certainly not over so enjoy! ;)

THAT is exactly the problem you and a few others in these threads have - adding your misinformation - or in the case of the "Don't go to Mexico" folks, biased view - to the mess.

Now you are Googling a term that is nowhere to be found in the Mexican government report and is being thrown around by you and others - many of whom never read that report (or ever been to Mexico, just a little tidbit - and making the mess we're seeing in these forums. It's a field day for the "Don't go to Mexico" crowd. Don't use common sense and sound reasoning when interpreting the facts, just do a Google search on a term you like to use and post those results as your evidence - excellent!

It doesn't make sense to continue to respond to this or other threads that are being "tainted", and the issue is certainly not over so enjoy! ;)

The government says that they've confiscated all of the tainted alcohol. You say the issue isn't over. Are you saying the Mexican Government lied about confiscating all of the tainted alcohol because if they confiscated all the tainted alcohol obviously the issue is over.

Yes having an open mind and the ability to consider all aspects when researching a subject, and in your case a potential retirement destination as well, is indeed a blessing as not everyone has those traits (as is evident in many of these "discussions"). So kudos to you in that regard! We've been fortunate enough to have enjoyed a life of travel around the world, and much of what you are describing is the same in so many of those places we've visited - everywhere has good and bad points, not just Mexico. We spend most of our time outside the "tourist zones", and just as at home in the US we have favorite places we trust as well as places we steer clear of. I also don't agree with your statement about the gov't not caring about public safety,in my humble opinion that is just too broad a view to describe the situation,especially in one particular area. Obviously no one gov't is perfect, including the Mexican gov't, but we've also found many things in that regard to be better than even in the US. Again that is just from our experiences visiting and living here and may not be yours.

We are now fortunate enough to own a retirement home in the Yucatán and we would not hesitate to recommend the Riviera Maya area to friends, it really is an amazing experience and the people are wonderful. We looked at many different areas of the Caribbean and kept coming back here. We still enjoy traveling and even cruising occasionally but this will be home. It is all what you make it, and I hope you are able to enjoy life here as we do!

Geeko, the issue was just recognized, I've read of no new corrective or preventive actions put into place yet and the investigation with the manufacturer is ongoing. This is a beautiful and popular vacation destination and folks need to feel safe when coming here. I'm not a Democrat, but hopefully this will lead to tighter enforcement policies to prevent a recurrence. The area has grown tremendously in the past 20 years and that is part of the issue.

Yes having an open mind and the ability to consider all aspects when researching a subject, and in your case a potential retirement destination as well, is indeed a blessing as not everyone has those traits (as is evident in many of these "discussions"). So kudos to you in that regard! We've been fortunate enough to have enjoyed a life of travel around the world, and much of what you are describing is the same in so many of those places we've visited - everywhere has good and bad points, not just Mexico. We spend most of our time outside the "tourist zones", and just as at home in the US we have favorite places we trust as well as places we steer clear of. I also don't agree with your statement about the gov't not caring about public safety,in my humble opinion that is just too broad a view to describe the situation,especially in one particular area. Obviously no one gov't is perfect, including the Mexican gov't, but we've also found many things in that regard to be better than even in the US. Again that is just from our experiences visiting and living here and may not be yours.

We are now fortunate enough to own a retirement home in the Yucatán and we would not hesitate to recommend the Riviera Maya area to friends, it really is an amazing experience and the people are wonderful. We looked at many different areas of the Caribbean and kept coming back here. We still enjoy traveling and even cruising occasionally but this will be home. It is all what you make it, and I hope you are able to enjoy life here as we do!

Geeko, the issue was just recognized, I've read of no new corrective or preventive actions put into place yet and the investigation with the manufacturer is ongoing. This is a beautiful and popular vacation destination and folks need to feel safe when coming here. I'm not a Democrat, but hopefully this will lead to tighter enforcement policies to prevent a recurrence. The area has grown tremendously in the past 20 years and that is part of the issue.

So you're saying reports that all the tainted alcohol is been confiscated are incorrect right?

... I also don't agree with your statement about the gov't not caring about public safety,in my humble opinion that is just too broad a view to describe the situation,especially in one particular area. Obviously no one gov't is perfect, including the Mexican gov't, but we've also found many things in that regard to be better than even in the US. Again that is just from our experiences visiting and living here and may not be yours...

I think our experiences may in fact be different. Everyone in Mexico has experienced "La Corrupcion" in one way or another. This stems from the smallest "mordidita"/bribe to current President's wife receiving the "Casa Blanca" from a foreign contractor. They have even published a special dictionary documenting corruption: http://remezcla.com/culture/corrupcionario-dictionary-corruption-mexico/

Corruption really hurts good governance in so many ways. Look at all the recently captured governors of Mexican states with Duarte from Veracruz perhaps the worst of recent times. The guy so brazenly stole from the state that he was featured on the cover of the "Economist". I know people that work for the government in several states and municipalities and are frustrated with the corruption and patronage system. It also extends to the schools with the teachers union with people being paid that don't show up to work.

I agree that at some level most people in government care, but enough have a primary objective to simply enrich themselves such that the system doesn't function all that well. Sadly, the US seems to be heading quickly in that direction as well.

Ths is a discussion for another time selectsys, and parallels can be drawn in other countries. And yes, the US is not lagging in that area and has its share of corrupt politicians - Our state of NY has some of the very best to show off as we all know.

Everyone needs to take a step back, way too much is going into this because of the misinterpretations and the titles being used for these threads. I agree enough is enough.

Edited by blue_water

Ths is a discussion for another time selectsys, and parallels can be drawn in other countries. And yes, the US is not lagging in that area and has its share of corrupt politicians - Our state of NY has some of the very best to show off as we all know.

Everyone needs to take a step back, way too much is going into this because of the misinterpretations and the titles being used for these threads. I agree enough is enough.

Apparently you're willing to ignore the fact that Mexico is one of the most corrupt countries in the world comparing it to corruption in the us as dishonest

". . . one of the most corrupt countries in the world . . . "

Well - I, for one, think that might be a tad over the top. There are are some truly corrupt governments on this planet - and I've had the misfortune to work in some of those countries controlled by those governments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well - I, for one, think that might be a tad over the top. There are are some truly corrupt governments on this planet - and I've had the misfortune to work in some of those countries controlled by those governments.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wef-corruption-index-the-most-corrupt-countries-in-the-oecd-2016-9/#1-mexico--25-11

This is a discussion for another time selectsys.. I agree enough is enough.

I was merely reacting to your comment about my experience. I have a life-long relationship with the country and really view Mexico as my "segundo hogar." That being said, I try and keep a realistic view and push back against those who say Mexico is all bad or are "Polyannish" about the place and don't see its unique issues.

Me too. I have seen way worse corruption than Mexico.

This is a list for developed countries. I just see so much possibility for Mexico to do better and really live up to its potential. What's amazing is that most people in the US don't view Mexico as a developed country which is way off the mark.

I thought I did pretty good with this title, actually. Believe it or not, I did put thought into it because I didn't want to come off looney or sensationalizing (I completely loathe the sensationalizing in news media nowadays). I could've gone with a lot worse for choice of words. But, I gave an indication of subject matter paired with "tad alarming". Didn't say "The sky is falling!" or "What the @&$!". Didn't even say "This is alarming". Nope. Went with "tad alarming" because, for me at least, it was/is.

I'm mostly sitting back and just reading what is contributed at this point. Further commentary seems pointless outside of updates or additional information pertaining to the subject matter. In this discussion as with on another forum it seems there's 2 very clear and definitive "sides" (if you will, for lack of a better term). There are those who read the accounts, believe them, and are concerned to varying degrees. Then, there's those on the other side of the aisle who either don't believe the accounts, want to explain away what's been recounted, discredit information, and/or minimize so that the discussion goes away entirely. Both sides seem bent on changing the perspective of the other. But here's the thing: Everyone is going to believe what they believe. Everyone will have their own opinions of what they've read. Everyone needs to do what is best for them. Doesn't matter which side any of us are on. The key is for the information to be out there and shared so each person can make informed decisions for themselves.

I'm not here to cause a fluff. Working hard at keeping myself in check quite a bit. Not here to sensationalize or make any of the recent safety/security information into something more than it is. Not here to tell anyone they're wrong about anything. Just want as much info as possible so I can make decisions accordingly.

Honestly, if someone wants the discussion to go away the best way to go about that is to not post on the thread & bump it back up on the page. Leave the thread alone so it'll fade away.

The government says that they've confiscated all of the tainted alcohol. You say the issue isn't over. Are you saying the Mexican Government lied about confiscating all of the tainted alcohol because if they confiscated all the tainted alcohol obviously the issue is over.

Seriously? You actually think that every single bottle of tainted alcohol was confiscated? And you actually think nobody in Mexico would continue to make and sell tainted alcohol???

Seriously? You actually think that every single bottle of tainted alcohol was confiscated? And you actually think nobody in Mexico would continue to make and sell tainted alcohol???

Okay now you're just getting hysterical