Mexico All-Inclusive Alcohol... This is a tad alarming.

sweetpee_1993

Once the terrible story of the young girl dying came out, several other similar stories (although none involving a death) came out and were corroborated in the mainstream news media. These were not "a friend of my grandmother's hairdresser's boyfriend" type of stories. That is enough to be a concern and to justify posting a discussion thread.

OK, we should believe these then. Geesh...Many that I've seen are indeed friends of friends' relatives who now (years later) feel someone did something to them. Sorry but it's just comical. These certainly overshadow any real instances which is unfortunate.

As I said I agree things happen, everywhere. But this is like a run on the banks in the Great Depression! I've become immune to the rabid speculation and jumping on board and won't comment anymore, just hope folks have enough common sense to do their own research and make good judgements for their families.

OK, we should believe these then. Geesh...Many that I've seen are indeed friends of friends' relatives who now (years later) feel someone did something to them. Sorry but it's just comical. These certainly overshadow any real instances which is unfortunate.

As I said I agree things happen, everywhere. But this is like a run on the banks in the Great Depression! I've become immune to the rabid speculation and jumping on board and won't comment anymore, just hope folks have enough common sense to do their own research and make good judgements for their families.

I think you're overreacting a tad. This thread is merely a discussion of recent incidents that give rise to the possibility of alcohol tampering in Mexico. You can choose to conclude whatever you want to conclude, as can everyone else who chooses to read this thread. Just because you don't believe anyone tampered with this poor girl's drink, doesn't mean the information shouldn't be shared here. If the thread upsets you that much, don't open it.

Did you even read the stories from the WI family? I'm thinking not.

We stay at an AI for 10 days every January. One of us normally goes to the bar to get drinks for us and those in our party or if we do use the waiter it's one we've known for years and we are close enough to the bar to see our drinks being made. Just use common sense and don't over do it

It should be noted - the issues are NOT something added to your drink by the bar tender. It is with the actual alcohol itself - it is an illegal product. Made in an illegal location, using who knows what to make it.

Per the news article this week-end, up to 36% of the alcohol served in Mexico is illegal.

Not real good odds if you ask me.

Based on the article, it appears that the only resort noted on Cozumel was the Iberostar. Not a typical place for day cruisers to hang out. And it does appear that most of the women interviewed were staying at the resorts. Not sure which resort was the one involved in the opening sequence, but could have been up in Cancun.

However, it's never a good thing to let down your guard and go overboard when drinking at an AI. The result can make you a pier runner or worse.

Been to Iberostar Cozumel many times on day pass while at port. Loved it. It is really a nice place.

Well, there's now a mention of this issue in the US state Department's travel information/warnings. If you go to the Safety & Security tab HERE & scroll to the blurb about Alcohol:

Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

I still feel like the wording is very careful not to be too solid. I read some even more recent articles last night that said since the original article went mainstream the news agency that originally wrote it has been contacted by more than 3 dozen people with similar stories. I still cannot find additional info. Maybe this is the first time people have all started realizing it wasn't just some freak thing that happened to them. I don't know. Perhaps the government decided they'd better at least mention it in a warning of sorts.

I do know there are some things in life that the consequences are bad enough that you just don't take the chance to begin with. While most of these stories seem to point more at AI resorts that host vacationers on dedicated trips, there IS an Iberostar that sells day passes in Cozumel. There are many all-inclusive day resorts that something of this nature would impact their business model. I don't think I want to be the person who finds out the hard way. My friends I'm traveling with & I are looking at options for our Cozumel port day in October that don't include drinking alcohol. My husband & I have decided to push off the trip to Playa or Isla Mujeres we were planning for to swim with whale sharks in Sept 2018. We just don't feel like it'd be as enjoyable or relaxing if we were constantly looking over our shoulders.

I will continue to watch for more info. Information is always a good thing. Eventually I do want to swim with those whale sharks!

Your best bet is to just stay on the ship if you feel unsafe or re unsure.

Been to Iberostar Cozumel many times on day pass while at port. Loved it. It is really a nice place.

Based on the latest news the major places hit on the mainland were the Iberostar Resorts in Cancun and Playa. Evidently caught a producer at the one in Cancun. Must of ran afoul of the Sindolas :rolleyes:

Yes, actually several establishments from restaurants like Guy Fieri's new place in Playa to huge AI resorts were visited and were cited for cleanliness and documenation violations. Two were temporarily suspended for "unsanitary" alcohol (Kukulcan lobby bar at the Ibero Paraiso Maya resort, and Fat Tuesday's bar in Cancun). The only details on the illicit alcohol portion were the manufacturer used bad manufacturing practices. Nothing was mentioned about any tainting of alcohol, just alcohol that was expired and/or not labeled correctly or at all.

Hope to hear more details in the follow up, and glad the authorities are taking these actions!

I think you're overreacting a tad. This thread is merely a discussion of recent incidents that give rise to the possibility of alcohol tampering in Mexico. You can choose to conclude whatever you want to conclude, as can everyone else who chooses to read this thread. Just because you don't believe anyone tampered with this poor girl's drink, doesn't mean the information shouldn't be shared here. If the thread upsets you that much, don't open it.

Sorry, but I do disagree with your points still. And I don't purport to state what happened that day, I just go by the facts as they are reported and wish others here would do the same. I'm not upset, just disappointed...

Yes, actually several establishments from restaurants like Guy Fieri's new place in Playa to huge AI resorts were visited and were cited for cleanliness and documenation violations. Two were temporarily suspended for "unsanitary" alcohol (Kukulcan lobby bar at the Ibero Paraiso Maya resort, and Fat Tuesday's bar in Cancun). The only details on the illicit alcohol portion were the manufacturer used bad manufacturing practices. Nothing was mentioned about any tainting of alcohol, just alcohol that was expired and/or not labeled correctly or at all.

Hope to hear more details in the follow up, and glad the authorities are taking these actions!

Here is the government release on the incident

https://www.gob.mx/cofepris/prensa/cofepris-y-sectur-realizan-acciones-conjuntas-en-quintana-roo-para-proteger-la-salud

Maybe my Spanish is off, but it seems that in the Fat Tuesday bar, some issues beyond cleanliness were going on including substitution of products and alcohol of an unknown origin. Also, what the government actually found may not be fully reported.

"Cabe señalar que como resultado de este operativo se suspendió actividad en el bar “Fat Tuesday” por falta de aviso de funcionamiento y por no garantizar el origen y la inocuidad de algunas bebidas alcohólicas que se encontraban en garrafas de 20 litros con etiquetado y marbetes que no correspondían al producto original. En este negocio fueron aseguradas bebidas alcohólicas y concentrado de frutas por falta de especificaciones de lote, caducidad vencida, falta de identificación, presentación y etiquetado no autorizado."

The good news is that the government is taking this seriously - at least in tourist areas due to the huge economic impact on the area.

Enrique De la Madrid subrayó que la Sectur se suma a los esfuerzos institucionales locales y federales para garantizar la calidad de alimentos y bebidas en los destinos de Quintana Roo, ya que “a todos nos toca cuidar al sector turístico por los millones de empleos que genera en México.

I know many people who only drink beer or request bottle service at bars.

Yes I needed help with much of the translation, and the consensus of friends in the Playa area is just that - the "illicit" nature of the alcohol that was taken from both the yet to be named producer, and from Fat Tuesday and Iberostar had to do with the unknown origin/ingredients and the potential danger that created. That's a result of the lack of documentation and labeling, and that screams a need for better regulation, and with that enforcement and heavy penalties for offenders. We hope this activity doesn't just go away as many things do in Mexico. The Riviera Maya is a beautiful area and visitors need to feel safe when staying there.

And as ever, using common sense and knowing your immediate surroundings (and knowing your limit) is very important at home and abroad.

Edited by blue_water

I was in Cozumel at Nachi Cocum March 2016 and I was drugged. I am a middle aged female and had a reservation for just myself but had taken a taxi over with three other people. I had a pina colada & some guac (never even got to the other food) and within 10 minutes it was apparent what had happened. Fortunately I was able to immediately get a taxi back to the ship (Celebrity Constellation) although I was very much struggling. I made myself vomit and pieces of pills were in the guac. I had not eaten anything but a danish earlier, It took about 24 hours before I returned to normal. It was likely Xanax that had been crushed (I say this with confidence as I have knowledge of Rx meds because of my job). Since that time I have found dozens of people who have had similar things occur in Cancun & Cozumel at different day resorts and hotels and bars. My advice is to take your water off the ship with you along with a protein bar or some granola and do not eat off the ship. I was one of the lucky ones.

The tainted alcohol has been confiscated by the government so there is no longer an issue. There are 76 million illnesses and 5,000 deaths in the US so do not eat in the US. Over a 6 year period 129,678 people had acute gastrointestinal illnesses. Do not eat on cruise ships. There are 1 million expats living in Mexico and 3 million tourists go there every year. Some of those people are still alive.

I was in Cozumel at Nachi Cocum March 2016 and I was drugged. I am a middle aged female and had a reservation for just myself but had taken a taxi over with three other people. I had a pina colada & some guac (never even got to the other food) and within 10 minutes it was apparent what had happened. Fortunately I was able to immediately get a taxi back to the ship (Celebrity Constellation) although I was very much struggling. I made myself vomit and pieces of pills were in the guac. I had not eaten anything but a danish earlier, It took about 24 hours before I returned to normal. It was likely Xanax that had been crushed (I say this with confidence as I have knowledge of Rx meds because of my job). Since that time I have found dozens of people who have had similar things occur in Cancun & Cozumel at different day resorts and hotels and bars. My advice is to take your water off the ship with you along with a protein bar or some granola and do not eat off the ship. I was one of the lucky ones.

Did you report this? What was said if you did.

A

I have found dozens of people who have had similar things occur in Cancun & Cozumel at different day resorts and hotels and bars.

This is heresay of course. Anything not substantiated or fully documented and with no evidence shouldn't even be posted here as it just adds to the mess already created...

Things do happen (everywhere) and I would have to say that your account - as difficult as it is to get one's head around - is certainly rare. I can't say I've ever met anyone who had solid evidence of being drugged let alone dozens, and we spend a lot of time in Mexico. I would certainly have retained a sample of one of the pills for testing. Obviously it doesn't make sense for a resort to do that but you do need to be aware of others around you, whether from your ship or locals.

To clarify the terms used in the official report were "illicit", "expired", and "labeling", nothing about tainted alcohol.

Yes we are doing fine, thank you! :p

https://www.gob.mx/cofepris/prensa/cofepris-y-sectur-realizan-acciones-conjuntas-en-quintana-roo-para-proteger-la-salud

The report also presented information about bad manufacturing. Bad manufacturing is one way that alcohol can be tainted or not what claims to be. The good news is that they found at least one company not producing alcohol correctly.

"La información obtenida durante el operativo permitió identificar a una empresa que elabora bebidas alcohólicas y las suministra en la región, la cual al momento de ser verificada presentó malas prácticas de fabricación, por lo que fueron asegurados cerca de 40 mil litros de bebidas alcohólicas."

These type of products was used as a stand-in for the real thing as it seems like bars like "Fat Tuesday" were refilling bottles with unknown product - maybe from the same manufacturer. What legitimate alcohol is sold in 20 liter bottles? Maybe it is, but it certainly isn't a "top shelf" pour!

"actividad en el bar “Fat Tuesday” por falta de aviso de funcionamiento y por no garantizar el origen y la inocuidad de algunas bebidas alcohólicas que se encontraban en garrafas de 20 litros con etiquetado y marbetes que no correspondían al producto original"

The report also presented information about bad manufacturing. Bad manufacturing is one way that alcohol can be tainted or not what claims to be. The good news is that they found at least one company not producing alcohol correctly.

"La información obtenida durante el operativo permitió identificar a una empresa que elabora bebidas alcohólicas y las suministra en la región, la cual al momento de ser verificada presentó malas prácticas de fabricación, por lo que fueron asegurados cerca de 40 mil litros de bebidas alcohólicas."

These type of products was used as a stand-in for the real thing as it seems like bars like "Fat Tuesday" were refilling bottles with unknown product - maybe from the same manufacturer. What legitimate alcohol is sold in 20 liter bottles? Maybe it is, but it certainly isn't a "top shelf" pour!

"actividad en el bar “Fat Tuesday” por falta de aviso de funcionamiento y por no garantizar el origen y la inocuidad de algunas bebidas alcohólicas que se encontraban en garrafas de 20 litros con etiquetado y marketers que no correspondían al producto original"

Yes you are citing the facts correctly, that is very refreshing to see for once! The producer was cited for illicit alcohol, and Fat Tuesday in Cancun and the bar at Iberostar Paraiso were temporarily suspended because they were found to be using said illicit alcohol. Many other very popular restaurants and bars in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen were named in the investigation so people need to understand the facts and the real scope of the findings. A big part of the findings were health issues including cleanliness and maintenance issues. The terms I mentioned were used in the report, but everyone and their brother wants to use the term "tainted", and my point is don't make that leap until you have the facts to support that conclusion.

The "Don't go to Mexico" folks gotta love this stuff! ;)