Margaritaville: 14.99$ cover on Breakaway only?

AlexandNessa

You are right, they would cost $35.38 under the new pricing scheme. It is $14.99 per person PLUS 18% "gratuity".

That's only if two people go and both order. In which case you would either be getting two orders of nachos or one order of nachos and something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's only if two people go and both order. In which case you would either be getting two orders of nachos or one order of nachos and something else.

I think the concern is if you sit in the restaurant section you may have to pay the cover charge if you eat anything, regardless of whether you order a separate item or just share a giant plate of Volcano Nachos. Hopefully that's not the case, but who knows? I'll try to find out onboard next week.

Well there is a cover which generally means a per person charge to go there, and a la carte. NCL itself differentiated a couple of years back when it switched its dining, no? Could be wrong but I don't think they'd let 2 people go to say, Cagneys, and only charge 1 if the other person chooses not to order. .???

Well there is a cover which generally means a per person charge to go there, and a la carte. NCL itself differentiated a couple of years back when it switched its dining, no? Could be wrong but I don't think they'd let 2 people go to say, Cagneys, and only charge 1 if the other person chooses not to order. .???

Since Cagney's is now a la carte, that would not be a good comparison, but if two people sit down at Moderno, which is a one price establishment like Margaritaville is now, you certainly can't share, so why would someone think you could share a plate of nachos and pay 14.99, which would be asinine to begin with.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Since Cagney's is now a la carte, that would not be a good comparison, but if two people sit down at Moderno, which is a one price establishment like Margaritaville is now, you certainly can't share, so why would someone think you could share a plate of nachos and pay 14.99, which would be asinine to begin with.

You are right! Sorry.

I think the $14.99 is high.

100% agree and shame on NCL. I booked our first cruise on Escape almost exclusively because the idea of a complimentary Margaritaville burger while lounging out at the pool was an awesome draw... Then they suggested the $5 surcharge, and now a whopping $14.99 for burgers and such!!!! I'd love to see how many people opt to actually partake in this silliness. I've sailed Escape twice already and have only visited this abyss to order complimentary margaritas (via UBP) and make a quick exit back to my deck chair. What a waste of a great dining experience, completely ruined by DelRio and the $ hoarding NCL excecs, all at the cost of premium deck space wasted at the already crowded pool decks to boot. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me... just stupid decisions :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

I was just poking around the NCL website for Breakaway and noticed that it now says this for Margaritaville:

Take a bite out of paradise with signature items like Cheeseburger in Paradise. Sip on a Who's to Blame Margarita. Or sit back and groove along to island-inspired live music at this dining venue. $5.00 cover charge applies.

• Price Per Person: À la carte

Any idea what this might mean? Are they making it $5 instead of $14.99?

I was just poking around the NCL website for Breakaway and noticed that it now says this for Margaritaville: Any idea what this might mean? Are they making it $5 instead of $14.99?

This is purely speculation, but I think this means one of three things:

1. They have gone back to a la carte and the $5 is a typo/just bad information... wouldn't be the first time NCL.com had conflicting/incorrect/outdated info.

2. They have moved to a combination pricing model where it's a $5pp cover charge just to sit down and all the actual food is a la carte.

3. They reduced the $15pp cover to $5pp cover and the "a la carte" is the typo/bad info.

The big problem here is that specialty venues are an upcharge for a better quality meal. Each dinner venue has a varying upcharge per person for a meal. This experiement suggests they think Margaritaville, for lunch, is equal in experience to a dinner at La Cucia. Horse hockey. It's pub food, as people have said here, a bit better than O'Sheehan's. There isn't even any entertainment. A $5 cover charge? Not a bad deal if you can then order a reasonable meal. A la carte menu? Mostly it was okay. Most items were priced fairly but a few were a bit expensive - as an upcharge. As a compromise, I'd like to see them set it to be a la carte and have a discount - like $15 per person. So you can order up to $15 at no charge, after than you pay the overage.

if the $15 cover charge is still there in December I will complain about it to everyone I meet at the meet 'n greet and officers Q&A. And message the Food & Beverage officer if I can't meet him or her.

We leave on the Breakaway next week. For months I've been thinking about sharing a plate of nachos and a few margaritas with my husband. I'm not paying $30 plus for nachos. Looks like we'll settle for nachos and rum swizzles at the Swizzle Inn in Bermuda.

BRING BACK UPTOWN GRILL!! Why get rid of a awesome burger joint to replace with some over rated jimmy Buffett BS!! Burgers @ best are average- uptown grill had great selection of burgers and toppings- Its Ncl nickel and diming everyone- I'm so sick of cruise lines taking away good ( free ) dining venues and replacing with for fee bull ****!!! I'm done with all this bs- I'm going back to land all inclusive vacations!!

I have a question. I was under the impression you could order food to go to take back to your room. I am going to be on BA for Superbowl next year and was dreaming of getting an order of Nachos to go and taking them down to O'Sheehans/Atrium to share with my boyfriend while we watch the game on the big screen. Anyone know if this would still be possible and if so, how they would charge it. Hopefully this nonsense is done with by then! TIA.

BRING BACK UPTOWN GRILL!! Why get rid of a awesome burger joint to replace with some over rated jimmy Buffett BS!! Burgers @ best are average- uptown grill had great selection of burgers and toppings- Its Ncl nickel and diming everyone- I'm so sick of cruise lines taking away good ( free ) dining venues and replacing with for fee bull ****!!! I'm done with all this bs- I'm going back to land all inclusive vacations!!

I was looking at throwing in an all inclusive!! The prices are soooo much higher then a cruise with far less options for dinning and entertainment.

I was looking at throwing in an all inclusive!! The prices are soooo much higher then a cruise with far less options for dinning and entertainment.

I will agree with you regarding the limited entertainment choices at an all inclusive. However, you can't make the assumption regarding pricing and dining options. There are higher end all inclusives that have many more dining options than NCL and lower end buffet style AI's that are substantially cheaper.

I have a question. I was under the impression you could order food to go to take back to your room. I am going to be on BA for Superbowl next year and was dreaming of getting an order of Nachos to go and taking them down to O'Sheehans/Atrium to share with my boyfriend while we watch the game on the big screen. Anyone know if this would still be possible and if so, how they would charge it. Hopefully this nonsense is done with by then! TIA.

If you want nachos, you can get them right there at O'Sheehan's for free!

It's called supply and demand. If people are willing to pay then that is where the price comes from. If they are not willing to pay then NCL will surely change their strategy. Calling it nickel and diming is just silly. You have a choice not to dine there. And if enough people also make that choice then things will change. I find cruise lines to be a much better deal than AIs. But maybe YMMV.

It's called supply and demand. If people are willing to pay then that is where the price comes from. If they are not willing to pay then NCL will surely change their strategy. Calling it nickel and diming is just silly. You have a choice not to dine there. And if enough people also make that choice then things will change. I find cruise lines to be a much better deal than AIs. But maybe YMMV.

Moby- where did you get your economics degree from? Only when the place was free was it in demand professor dumbledoor- they supplied a product and the demand was too high for free. So,they changed the "free" dining to ala carte trying to create an even Equilibrium!! That seemed to work fairly well as people would eat at the ala carte prices and pick and choose what they wanted to eat..and keep the margaritville restaurant somewhat busy and relevant..and that obviously didn't sit well with the ncl execs because the food sales obv plummeted because people where only using Buffett's restaurant for UBP frozen concoctions and volcanoe nachos and the occasional burger here and there. So they decided to test the market and charge flat fee of $14.99 and now all the sudden they have excess supply- it's called ECONOMIC GREED MOBY! In lamen terms to me that's called " nickle and diming"

As far as AIl inclusive are concerned; two people, airfare included, can stay at a moderate resort for around $2000. In my book that's a pretty affordable option. One to consider vs inside cabin with UBP package on a cruise ship, NOT including air can run around $1800 or much higher depending on ship,itinerary,etc....

Relax and breathe the fresh air-

Moby- where did you get your economics degree from? Only when the place was free was it in demand professor dumbledoor- they supplied a product and the demand was too high for free. So,they changed the "free" dining to ala carte trying to create an even Equilibrium!! That seemed to work fairly well as people would eat at the ala carte prices and pick and choose what they wanted to eat..and keep the margaritville restaurant somewhat busy and relevant..and that obviously didn't sit well with the ncl execs because the food sales obv plummeted because people where only using Buffett's restaurant for UBP frozen concoctions and volcanoe nachos and the occasional burger here and there. So they decided to test the market and charge flat fee of $14.99 and now all the sudden they have excess supply- it's called ECONOMIC GREED MOBY! In lamen terms to me that's called " nickle and diming"

As far as AIl inclusive are concerned; two people, airfare included, can stay at a moderate resort for around $2000. In my book that's a pretty affordable option. One to consider vs inside cabin with UBP package on a cruise ship, NOT including air can run around $1800 or much higher depending on ship,itinerary,etc....

Relax and breathe the fresh air-

My degree is from Johns Hopkins thank you. And you described it very well indeed. And if it so turns out that they have excess supply then NCL will surely change their strategy as said in my last post. The point is the market will correct itself. And I don't see it as nickel and diming as it is an optional place to dine. Plenty of free options to dine on the ship. I did a quick search on AIs and I came up with a "cheap" price of $1500 per person for 7 days. And the difference between an AI and a cruise is you are stuck at that one resort where in a cruise you normally are visiting multiple destinations. Cruises are definitely a better option for me. Especially when you consider CAS. But I understand different people have different tastes.

My degree is from Johns Hopkins thank you. And you described it very well indeed. And if it so turns out that they have excess supply then NCL will surely change their strategy as said in my last post. The point is the market will correct itself. And I don't see it as nickel and diming as it is an optional place to dine. Plenty of free options to dine on the ship. I did a quick search on AIs and I came up with a "cheap" price of $1500 per person for 7 days. And the difference between an AI and a cruise is you are stuck at that one resort where in a cruise you normally are visiting multiple destinations. Cruises are definitely a better option for me. Especially when you consider CAS. But I understand different people have different tastes.

The whole point to my original post was uptown grill was for many a great quick stop burger restaurant that was free- they removed it and added a for "fee" restaurant. Why? That's what pisses me off. They have enough for "fee" restaurants on the Breakway, why did,they have to go and add another one? That's why I say "nickle and diming" I understand that ncl is a for,profit organization and they are out to pad their pockets and make shareholders rich😂🤣 but changing uptown to Jimmy Buffets and charging is for the birds. Pretty soon there will Be NO free places To eat and everything will be upcharged 😓

The whole point to my original post was uptown grill was for many a great quick stop burger restaurant that was free- they removed it and added a for "fee" restaurant. Why? That's what pisses me off. They have enough for "fee" restaurants on the Breakway, why did,they have to go and add another one? That's why I say "nickle and diming" I understand that ncl is a for,profit organization and they are out to pad their pockets and make shareholders rich[emoji23]🤣 but changing uptown to Jimmy Buffets and charging is for the birds. Pretty soon there will Be NO free places To eat and everything will be upcharged [emoji29]

Understood but things change. Some people will like the change and some won't. That's just the way it is. But if everything always stayed the same then it would get repetitive and boring. And It's all about the overall money taken in. If they create more free places then the initial price will go up and vice versa if there are more for fee places then the initial price can go down.

This was a two month trial, and if my dates are correct, the trial should be over. Hopefully cruisers sailing the Breakaway this week will come back and report whether or not the trial will be implemented on a permanent basis.

Rumors were that the trial was an overwhelming failure, but we should know for sure soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Well, word on the street is that the current 14.99$ Margaritaville cover continues.

Not sure if the trial is ongoing, or if they're happy to let the restaurant sit relatively empty.

At this point, just hoping the ridiculousness doesn't spread to Getaway, Escape, and eventually Bliss.

Boo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app