Questions about Handling Food Allergies

musicmom3

We've just booked a trip on Marina for next year, and, being new to this line, I was wondering if anybody could share information on handling food allergies (or particular things to watch out for). My nemesis is shellfish, and as I make my way through reading all the threads here, it sure seems like there is a lot of lobster on board! From what I read I get the feeling that standard best food practices to avoid cross-contamination are probably the order of the day at Oceania, yet I still always carry a concern.

We are intermittent cruisers (Cruise West, NCL, X, and Princess), so we know enough to highlight the allergy early and often. But is there anything that would be helpful to know particular to Marina specifically or Oceania in general? Restaurant ventilation can also be an issue, as the allergen can be airborne in certain situations and trigger a reaction. Thanks for any insight.

Advise Oceania in advance of travel. Have conversation with Executive Chef when you board and let every server know. NO matter what the allergy this should resolve the concern.

Generally they will share the next day menus and modify the food. They do have separate cooking stations to avoid cross contamination. Have Son who is an extreme celiac.

I suggest you also check in with Dining Services (reservation desk) on your first day. Sometimes (in my experience) even when you have let O know ahead of time about a food restriction, they don't have you on their onboard list to get the dinner menu to you ahead of time - checking with them embarkation day can resolve this.

In addition, if you are going to dine at Terrace, get to know the head chef for Terrace - any of the servers can track him down for you. Explain your food allergy & he will point out (for each meal that you are there) what is and is not appropriate. Once several years ago I was told that I could have a meal I had pre-ordered for the MDR delivered to Terrace, but not sure if that was actually the case, or just that I chose a nightly special that was also being served at Terrace...

For breakfast and lunch there is no pre-order, that is only for dinner ime. So self-identifying to the server is important. Breakfast servers in MDR seem least informed (they are good about avoiding cross contamination, but don't always know that there is a restricted-appropriate item available, for example gluten free pancakes).

The least integrated area for food restrictions seems to be wine tastings that include food - they are sometimes able to scramble for appropriate items, but even with prior warning of the food restriction it is rare for an appropriate plate to be ready at the beginning of the tasting.

Ventilation - if lobster or fish on a grill is an issue, Terrace and Waves are something you will want to scope out carefully. Ventilation is pretty good imo but I am not airborne sensitive so ymmv! Other restaurants do not have prep areas open to the dining area in the same way, although both Jacques and Red Ginger do have windows into their food prep areas (is that Marina only and not Riviera? others will know better than I).

I would avoid anything on the grill in the Terrace or Waves in case there is residue from Lobster or shrimp on it

Unless the cook is willing to clean the part of the grill before cooking what you want just skip that area

What happens if you are seated next to someone who orders Lobster will this be a problem ?

My niece cannot even touch a plate that has shrimp on it

What do you do on other lines ?

Not sure how you would avoid the contact if it is in the air that must be hard to do

It can be hard but I have a pretty good sense of trigger thresholds now. Large spaces are rarely a problem, but smaller spaces can take some navigating. For example, on our last trip, in a specialty restaurant (Sabatini's on Princess), because there were ventilation concerns, we were seated by the exit where there was good airflow and we were out of the way of the other tables. It worked out wonderfully.

I would avoid anything on the grill in the Terrace or Waves in case there is residue from Lobster or shrimp on it

Unless the cook is willing to clean the part of the grill before cooking what you want just skip that area

What happens if you are seated next to someone who orders Lobster will this be a problem ?

My niece cannot even touch a plate that has shrimp on it

In Terrace/Waves, is there just the one grill that everything goes on? That definitely would be a problem. I am used to that situation with deep fryers--everything into the pot! (It's a great diet tool as it's an excuse to avoid fried foods.) Thank you for the heads up!

As far as our dinner companions, we have to use common sense. We always start with tables for two and do our socializing with others before and after meals until we get the lay of the land.

Advise Oceania in advance of travel. Have conversation with Executive Chef when you board and let every server know. NO matter what the allergy this should resolve the concern.

Generally they will share the next day menus and modify the food. They do have separate cooking stations to avoid cross contamination. Have Son who is an extreme celiac.

Thank you. We have had good luck with the next-day menus and modifications on X and Princess. Do you happen to know if the separate cooking stations are just in the main dining room? Or are they in other dining venues on Marina?

My Mom had celiac's before it became as well known as it is today. What a struggle. I am glad people know about it now.

I suggest you also check in with Dining Services (reservation desk) on your first day. Sometimes (in my experience) even when you have let O know ahead of time about a food restriction, they don't have you on their onboard list to get the dinner menu to you ahead of time - checking with them embarkation day can resolve this.

In addition, if you are going to dine at Terrace, get to know the head chef for Terrace - any of the servers can track him down for you. Explain your food allergy & he will point out (for each meal that you are there) what is and is not appropriate. Once several years ago I was told that I could have a meal I had pre-ordered for the MDR delivered to Terrace, but not sure if that was actually the case, or just that I chose a nightly special that was also being served at Terrace...

For breakfast and lunch there is no pre-order, that is only for dinner ime. So self-identifying to the server is important. Breakfast servers in MDR seem least informed (they are good about avoiding cross contamination, but don't always know that there is a restricted-appropriate item available, for example gluten free pancakes).

The least integrated area for food restrictions seems to be wine tastings that include food - they are sometimes able to scramble for appropriate items, but even with prior warning of the food restriction it is rare for an appropriate plate to be ready at the beginning of the tasting.

Ventilation - if lobster or fish on a grill is an issue, Terrace and Waves are something you will want to scope out carefully. Ventilation is pretty good imo but I am not airborne sensitive so ymmv! Other restaurants do not have prep areas open to the dining area in the same way, although both Jacques and Red Ginger do have windows into their food prep areas (is that Marina only and not Riviera? others will know better than I).

This is great info, thank you. I have made a note in our trip file about running down the Head Chef. We swear by the "tell early and often" rule when travelling, so it is good to know who to ask for. I am going to have to stalk Terrace/Waves online for visuals so I can scope out the grill/seating situation to see if it will work for me.

Great heads up about the wine tastings, too. We do like to attend those.

When we travel in foreign countries, my husband carries a little deck of cards that he has made in several languages describing my allergy. What we do to stay healthy!