Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

We have family members onboard the Emerald and their cabin is two away from the scene. Apparently, there was a large group of family traveling together occupying several cabins. We talked to my brother in law a bit ago and he said it was horrible. People were screaming and running up and down the halls covered with blood trying to get help. My BIL and 4 other men were getting ready to storm the cabin, but then security showed up.

Good gracious that is beyond awful.

Very sad news for the family and friends of the woman and man involved.

Condolences to all the loved ones receiving the news of this loss.

In reality though, everyone who cruises brings along their emotional baggage in addition to their packed suitcases.

Perhaps emotions for this couple escalated into a fight where physical force lead to an unfortunate end.

Perhaps alcohol was involved ,fueling their altercation

We can speculate here as what happened between the couple. The FBI investigators will sort that out.

For us reading about the murder, the reality is people have lost a family member and/or a friend.

There have been instances where people have chosen to end their lives on cruise ships. Sometimes,these incidences are reported as a person falling overboard. Sometimes it is reported as a suicide. Regardless, there is a loss for those left behind in those people's worlds.

There was a case of a newlywed couple, it may have been on an NCL or RCCL cruise, where the husband was reported missing and was never found. Who knows what really happened to the young man?

While we here on CC enjoy cruising , we are often made aware through incidences as the one reported on this thread, that a ship is a community where real life events occur . It may sound trite,but I think when a tradegy such as this happens, it can remind us to appreciate our days and our loved ones.

Very sad news for the family and friends of the woman and man involved.

Condolences to all the loved ones receiving the news of this loss.

In reality though, everyone who cruises brings along their emotional baggage in addition to their packed suitcases.

Perhaps emotions for this couple escalated into a fight where physical force lead to an unfortunate end.

Perhaps alcohol was involved ,fueling their altercation

We can speculate here as what happened between the couple. The FBI investigators will sort that out.

For us reading about the murder, the reality is people have lost a family member and/or a friend.

There have been instances where people have chosen to end their lives on cruise ships. Sometimes,these incidences are reported as a person falling overboard. Sometimes it is reported as a suicide. Regardless, there is a loss for those left behind in those people's worlds.

There was a case of a newlywed couple, it may have been on an NCL or RCCL cruise, where the husband was reported missing and was never found. Who knows what really happened to the young man?

While we here on CC enjoy cruising , we are often made aware through incidences as the one reported on this thread, that a ship is a community where real life events occur . It may sound trite,but I think when a tradegy such as this happens, it can remind us to appreciate our days and our loved ones.

Although you will probably hear some earfuls about this I totally agree. I got onto a Princess sailing about 6-7 years ago the day a lady jumped off the ship coming back in Vancouver (they had video footage) apparently she had terminal cancer. Praying for all involved and the other passengers on their trips aboard the Emerald.

Since this was still in US waters but not any stats waters, it looks like that's why the FBI is investigating. If this happened in international waters, who would lead the investigation ?

I have a friend on this cruise, and she's been texting about it. She called security as the woman's screaming woke her up. She saw the men fighting on the balcony and shouted at them to stop.... a nightmare for all involved. Praying for everyone affected by this.

Two men? I thought it was just the husband involved.

Having been on cruise ship during an incident I can attest that rumors fly fast and a lot of incorrect information gets out! At times I was wondering if I was on the same ship.

Once it gets to "... a friend of mine is on the ship..." it gets to be like Broken Telephone.

Since this was still in US waters but not any stats waters, it looks like that's why the FBI is investigating. If this happened in international waters, who would lead the investigation ?

On the High Seas and outside state waters, FBI is the lead agency on cruise ship crimes that involve US citizens. The Coast Guard Investigative Service also has jurisdiction.

Just as an anecdote....it gets complicated when the parties involved are not US citizens. In those cases, it can be a toss up between the ship's flag state, the country from which they are a citizen, or even the next port of call.

f b i

The people who boarded didn't look anything like the FBI agents on TV.

We've been in port nearly 3 hours and they still won't let us off. They are saying tours will go on as scheduled starting at 2:30, but still no word about how soon we can get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have family members onboard the Emerald and their cabin is two away from the scene. Apparently, there was a large group of family traveling together occupying several cabins. We talked to my brother in law a bit ago and he said it was horrible. People were screaming and running up and down the halls covered with blood trying to get help. My BIL and 4 other men were getting ready to storm the cabin, but then security showed up.

Do you know what deck this was on? So sad to hear, and how horrible! Cruising is for relaxing and being happy, hopefully your family can still enjoy Alaska.

I'm not sure I fully believe that part of the story.

Exactly, Kind of like the person who said broken telephone in an above post.

Hopefully they will release another statement soon, so the facts (or what they can share) will be out and stop the rumor mill