Ship temperature for Alaskan cruise?

Bibble

I've never been on an Alaskan cruise - I'm always fighting the air conditioning on a caribbean cruise...

Can someone tell me what kind of temperature I can expect around the ship? I mean, if the high in Juneau is 60 degrees, can I assume the heat will be on? (I know, this probably sounds like one of the more stupid questions on here...)

Coming from Florida, cruising in August, it's hard to truly accept that we don't need sundresses and tank tops. But I also don't know that I should be packing the turtlenecks - lol!

Thanks!

Temperature on the ship was never an issue and I am picky about such things. In my experience, YES, you need to pack layers that include both winter hats, windproof outer layers, sunglasses (essential), and neck warmers. I needed all of these when we went into Glacier Bay and to Hubbard Glacier. On the other hand, according to my pictures, I just needed a relatively light jacket and a baseball cap most of the time we were in port, unless it was raining. We went in May/June and the temperatures we encountered were low to mid 40's with wind all the way up to sunny and close to 70 degrees. Unlike the U.S., the temperatures tend to decrease as you move south in the summer in Alaska. Fairbanks can approach the 90's and often hits the 80's. Anchorage is cooler and SE Alaska is even cooler and more rainy (typically). Bottom line: pack lots of layers and put them on and take them off as you feel appropriate. But don't ignore the need for at least a winter hat and gloves for visiting glaciers, especially on ship.

We live in FL too (but originally from the Northeast) and went to Alaska around Memorial Day a few years ago, roundtrip out of Seattle on the Golden Princess. We found it was too uncomfortable to hang out on the deck (windy and low '60s) and spent all our non-port time indoors.

That being said, I remember vividly sitting in the buffet with the doors constantly opening as people came in and out, blowing the chilly air into the room and shivering...Best to have sweaters/coats, etc.--for outside the ship and inside! - Musing About Cruising

I've never been on an Alaskan cruise - I'm always fighting the air conditioning on a caribbean cruise...

Can someone tell me what kind of temperature I can expect around the ship? I mean, if the high in Juneau is 60 degrees, can I assume the heat will be on? (I know, this probably sounds like one of the more stupid questions on here...)

Coming from Florida, cruising in August, it's hard to truly accept that we don't need sundresses and tank tops. But I also don't know that I should be packing the turtlenecks - lol!

Thanks!

Thank you all!!!

And thank for at least outwardly not laughing ;)

None of us are/were laughing because it is a reasonable question, even for those of us that live in cooler climates.

The Alaska that most people, who have never been there, envision an area covered in snow year around. It doesn't happen that way! We've been in Juneau in July and it was snowing; we've also been in Juneau in May and it was 78 degrees and sunny. As other respondents said, bring layers so you can add or subtract as necessary. I usually wear a long-sleeved t-shirt inside the ship and add a hoodie when I'm out on deck.

Enjoy your adventure.

I all ways bring a sweater and a shawl for indoor use on the ship. I understand not wanting to be cold. All summer long, no matter how hot it is I carry a light sweater with me for when I go into a store. I hate shopping and being cold from the AC.

• 2 weeks later...

Indoors you will probably require a sweater or sweatshirt in some venues. Every cabin has it's own thermostat. You can adjust your cabin temp. from colder to warmer, but if you are trying to get your cabin temp into the 80's I don't believe you will be successful.

We were on the Ruby Princess two years ago in July. When we docked at our 1st port temp was 92, as we went north the temps went down but never below 60. The wind was not a problem for us. My wife stayed on deck, took a sweatshirt, and sat outside by the pool to watch a movie. Inside was just great. We left from Seattle where the temps were in mid to high 80s. I had been advised to take a winter coat but was so glad we did not. Only one day did we have rain and that was at the gold panning stop. But the driver supplied rain covers. I would suggest taking a light rain jacket and a light hoodie. A neck wrap of some kind would be good. Just keep checking the weather forecasts for the week or two before you go. Temps don't really change that much.