Fttf

braz88

I think it's funny how people sail on Carnival to save money, than at the first opportunity, they spend money on items that are absolutely free.

FTTF is designed to get money, for free items, that in many cases were artificially created by Carnival to make it sound like it is a great thing.

You presented a clear, concise, and objective case. The only thing you fail to take into account is that different things are valued by different individuals.

Most of your statements apply equally to specialty dining.

Furnish an elegant MDR with less elegant and noisier table tops. Reduce wait staff so that service is slower and less personal. Downgrade the quality of menu items, meatloaf and fried chicken rather than Chateaubriand and Beef Wellington.

Specialty dining is designed to get money for previously included items, that in many cases were artificially created by Carnival, to make it sound like it is a great thing.

Personally I love FTTF and I truly enjoy a meal in the Steakhouse. I hope you enjoy the choices you make on your cruises.

Happy sailing!

You presented a clear, concise, and objective case. The only thing you fail to take into account is that different things are valued by different individuals.

Most of your statements apply equally to specialty dining.

Furnish an elegant MDR with less elegant and noisier table tops. Reduce wait staff so that service is slower and less personal. Downgrade the quality of menu items, meatloaf and fried chicken rather than Chateaubriand and Beef Wellington.

Specialty dining is designed to get money for previously included items, that in many cases were artificially created by Carnival, to make it sound like it is a great thing.

Personally I love FTTF and I truly enjoy a meal in the Steakhouse. I hope you enjoy the choices you make on your cruises.

Happy sailing!

With Specialty dining, you are purchasing something different. It's a different steak than the flat iron in the MDR. With FTTF, you are essentially buying time. You aren't getting a different cabin, just access to it quicker. You aren't getting a different tender, just getting on it sooner. So I would disagree that FTTF is the same concept as Specialty dining

With Specialty dining, you are purchasing something different. It's a different steak than the flat iron in the MDR. With FTTF, you are essentially buying time. You aren't getting a different cabin, just access to it quicker. You aren't getting a different tender, just getting on it sooner. So I would disagree that FTTF is the same concept as Specialty dining

Disagreement is healthy.

Time is a commodity and has a value.

Yes, it's a different steak but Carnival created that difference by removing quality steak from the MDR.

I always hope no one buys FTTF until I book a cruise and secure it, but that's just my selfish nature raising its ugly head.

And for me it's not a firstie mentality. I plan my drive to arrive at the terminal when priority boarding should be just winding down. Then we skip to the head of all the massive lines, never sit down to wait anywhere with any boarding group, and walk right onto the ship with our cabin ready and the terminal still a crowded mess.

Of course what works for me isn't for everybody. We all place a different value on our time.

Two weeks from yesterday we will be on the Breeze and can hardly wait!

Disagreement is healthy.

Yes, it's a different steak but Carnival created that difference by removing quality steak from the MDR.

I always hope no one buys FTTF until I book a cruise and secure it, but that's just my selfish nature raising its ugly head.

And for me it's not a firstie mentality. I plan my drive to arrive at the terminal when priority boarding should be just winding down. Then we skip to the head of all the massive lines, never sit down to wait anywhere with any boarding group, and walk right onto the ship with our cabin ready and the terminal still a crowded mess.

Of course what works for me isn't for everybody. We all place a different value on our time.

A word as innocuous as "firstie" drives people crazy. [emoji16] I will agree time is a commodity, so I get where you made the comparison to a steak. I think you being a bit harsh against the flat iron. Is it as good a quality as a filet or ribeye, no. It's not a bad steak tho

A word as innocuous as "firstie" drives people crazy. [emoji16] I will agree time is a commodity, so I get where you made the comparison to a steak. I think you being a bit harsh against the flat iron. Is it as good a quality as a filet or ribeye, no. It's not a bad steak tho

By golly I think we are ending our disagreement quite agreeably.

I will continue to enjoy FTTF. You will continue to enjoy the flat iron steak.

We both will continue to enjoy our cruises. And occasionally a bit of friendly banter.

Cheers!

Disagreement is healthy.

Some aren't in this thread for healthy disagreement, they're here to put down anyone who cruises in a way that differs from their own. Instead of simply ignoring a topic they know they're not interested in, they can't help but post their rhetoric over & over & over. I will give them credit, though. They did manage to hold off for four days before coming into this one with their usual negativity. Funny thing is, neither of them posted in this thread until today and when they do, they're two minutes apart. Where there's one, the other usually follows, encouraging and feeding the rude behavior of one another. This so-called "firstie mentality" that some speak of so much only ever seems to apply to people who buy FTTF. No one ever targets any of the platinum/diamond passengers who enjoy getting on board as soon as possible, and there are many. As if they're desire to start their cruise as soon as possible is somehow more justified than anyone else. Some people are such that they feel the need to constantly put down others in order to make themselves feel bigger. All of this is classic bully behavior and shouldn't be tolerated on here, but unfortunately, it is.

Any rational person understands that FTTF is a service that's value/worth is subjective to each individual. A majority get that and you'll see it all over this message board, including from those who don't have a need (or want) for it. Thankfully, there's only a select few who can't help but react to it in a childish, rude manner. I think they do understand the subjective nature of the service. They'd just rather address it in a way that puts people down. To think that a for-profit company would provide a service that costs them little to nothing in expenses, yet brings in a lot of revenue. :eek: Thank goodness Carnival is the only company that takes advantage of such evil business practices. :rolleyes:

Hope you get to read this reply because anytime anyone stands up to this behavior, the post mysteriously gets reported.

Some aren't in this thread for healthy disagreement, they're here to put down anyone who cruises in a way that differs from their own. Instead of simply ignoring a topic they know they're not interested in, they can't help but post their rhetoric over & over & over. I will give them credit, though. They did manage to hold off for four days before coming into this one with their usual negativity. Funny thing is, neither of them posted in this thread until today and when they do, they're two minutes apart. Where there's one, the other usually follows, encouraging and feeding the rude behavior of one another. This so-called "firstie mentality" that some speak of so much only ever seems to apply to people who buy FTTF. No one ever targets any of the platinum/diamond passengers who enjoy getting on board as soon as possible, and there are many. As if they're desire to start their cruise as soon as possible is somehow more justified than anyone else. Some people are such that they feel the need to constantly put down others in order to make themselves feel bigger. All of this is classic bully behavior and shouldn't be tolerated on here, but unfortunately, it is.

Any rational person understands that FTTF is a service that's value/worth is subjective to each individual. A majority get that and you'll see it all over this message board, including from those who don't have a need (or want) for it. Thankfully, there's only a select few who can't help but react to it in a childish, rude manner. I think they do understand the subjective nature of the service. They'd just rather address it in a way that puts people down. To think that a for-profit company would provide a service that costs them little to nothing in expenses, yet brings in a lot of revenue. :eek: Thank goodness Carnival is the only company that takes advantage of such evil business practices. :rolleyes:

Hope you get to read this reply because anytime anyone stands up to this behavior, the post mysteriously gets reported.

Read and comprehended.

The emotion attached to this subject is often beyond the pale.

Happy cruising.

Just a hunch, but I think OC is referring to me [emoji23]

How do you assume I am not interested in the FTTF threads. I am very interested in them

I never said Firsties are just people with FTTF. I have given examples of the mindset. I don't discriminate. I go after Dias/Plats/FTTFers/the under dressed/the underaged all equally. I share the love all around [emoji57]

As far as the so called "service", I have said on numerous occasions that it may be the single best marketing gimmick that Carnival ever came up with. It costs them nothing, there is no overhead. They just jacked it up in price 40% and they are still selling them like hot cakes. That is absolutely BRILLIANT marketing on their part. PT Barnum would be impressed

As far as your claim about me reporting people, that's a flat out lie. I don't report people here. Nobody, not even you OC, has ever typed anything here (that I have read) that has come close to offending/upsetting me. No reason for me to "report" anyone. Not saying that button doesn't get overused. Some people have a very sensitive side [emoji12]

You off your soapbox yet OC?

We like to get it when we are driving from the Gulf Coast to the ports on the East Coast of Florida - because we leave our house early in the morning...just in case of any traffic or other issues.

So when we arrive - maybe earlier than allowed, we can still check in. The guest service line for FTTF is a plus, as well.

Next year, we are sailing from our "home port" of Tampa and we won't bother to purchase it.

It's worth having if you think it will benefit you!

It's been a while since we've cruised on Carnival. We are booked on the Dream March. 2018 and can't wait !

I've been reading so much about paying extra for FTTF.

A couple of questions on FTTF.. 1. From those of you who have purchased it would you say it is worth it ? 2. How do we purchase it for our cruise ? I did not see it when I booked.. maybe it is available as it gets closer to sail date?

You will get different people saying different things - Some say they can't live without it and others say forget about it save your money

I am one that is an in betweener - So I am leaving for a short 3 day cruise with just hubby and I at the end of this month and for this particular cruise I don't see any reason to get it - we are only going to Nassau so no tendering, because of work we won't be getting to terminal until after 1 pm so no need for quick hop on board as by the time we get there we should be able to essentially walk right on the boat and go straight to our room, and really the only other benefit we would be interested in is the fast line for guest services and because its just me and my husband such a short trip we don't think we will need it as the only time I will go to GS is to get my free pack of playing cards but I will just swing and grab those when the line is empty

Now on December we are taking a 7 day cruise with our 2 daughters - We ended up with 2 rooms and because of that we have to pay for FTTF for both rooms - In this particular case we will be at the port at 1030 am so I want to get on quickly and drop our stuff in our room and get unpacked prior to muster, Because of the room situation we also need extra keys for each room so we already know we are going to have to go to GS straight away and you know first day is a witch trying to get in that line - And to follow it up we have a tender port - So in this particular case FTTF is gonna save us TONS of time and is totally worth it for us

You will get different people saying different things - Some say they can't live without it and others say forget about it save your money

I am one that is an in betweener - So I am leaving for a short 3 day cruise with just hubby and I at the end of this month and for this particular cruise I don't see any reason to get it - we are only going to Nassau so no tendering, because of work we won't be getting to terminal until after 1 pm so no need for quick hop on board as by the time we get there we should be able to essentially walk right on the boat and go straight to our room, and really the only other benefit we would be interested in is the fast line for guest services and because its just me and my husband such a short trip we don't think we will need it as the only time I will go to GS is to get my free pack of playing cards but I will just swing and grab those when the line is empty

Now on December we are taking a 7 day cruise with our 2 daughters - We ended up with 2 rooms and because of that we have to pay for FTTF for both rooms - In this particular case we will be at the port at 1030 am so I want to get on quickly and drop our stuff in our room and get unpacked prior to muster, Because of the room situation we also need extra keys for each room so we already know we are going to have to go to GS straight away and you know first day is a witch trying to get in that line - And to follow it up we have a tender port - So in this particular case FTTF is gonna save us TONS of time and is totally worth it for us

This is pretty much our mindset as well. We didn't get it last year and came to the conclusion that it's probably not something we need. There was three of us and we did have to take our carry-on bags to lunch, but it wasn't too much of a pain. The one thing I wasn't aware of at that time was that FTTF provided the priority line at guest services. That would've been nice because I did have to go 2-3 times and the line was always long. But for our next cruise, the situation has changed. We're taking a family of five for their first cruise and now we could end up with eight carry-on bags, potentially. That's not something I want to deal with during lunch, so immediate access to our cabins alone makes FTTF worth it to me. We don't have any tender ports, but that's ok. The priority guest services line is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned, and with more of us this time, I'm willing to bet we'll need GS a time or two. Who knows, we may end up loving it so much that we decide to buy it from here on out, but if that doesn't happen, we'll just play it by ear with each cruise.

when I don't sail with my kids I don't buy it. I have a cruise next week, and our boarding time was 2-2:30. The thought of keeping a 7 and 4 year old happy in san juan and feeding them lunch didn't appeal to us. Figured 40-50 bucks for lunch. FTTF was a no brainer. I don't have to spend money on lunch and the kids get to have fun faster.

For those that say it's a waste of money, state why it is. When I cruise with my parents it's totally a waste of money, and I never get it, but to just be like oh it's a money grab etc. that's not helping people make a choice.

Standing up ... Starting a slow clap that leads into thunderous applause :)

I just re-looked at the description of this benefit and now I am a little concerned. It says get priority dinning options "Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining)", so my confirmed MDR dining time and choice is not guaranteed without FTTF???

I just re-looked at the description of this benefit and now I am a little concerned. It says get priority dinning options "Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining)", so my confirmed MDR dining time and choice is not guaranteed without FTTF???

Of course it it. The "priority" part here comes in when someone wants to make reservations at a specialty restaurant or wants to change dining time. They are placed in the priority queue right behind Diamonds and Platinums. You still get your confirmed dining time.

Just a hunch, but I think OC is referring to me [emoji23]

How do you assume I am not interested in the FTTF threads. I am very interested in them

I never said Firsties are just people with FTTF. I have given examples of the mindset. I don't discriminate. I go after Dias/Plats/FTTFers/the under dressed/the underaged all equally. I share the love all around [emoji57]

As far as the so called "service", I have said on numerous occasions that it may be the single best marketing gimmick that Carnival ever came up with. It costs them nothing, there is no overhead. They just jacked it up in price 40% and they are still selling them like hot cakes. That is absolutely BRILLIANT marketing on their part. PT Barnum would be impressed

As far as your claim about me reporting people, that's a flat out lie. I don't report people here. Nobody, not even you OC, has ever typed anything here (that I have read) that has come close to offending/upsetting me. No reason for me to "report" anyone. Not saying that button doesn't get overused. Some people have a very sensitive side [emoji12]

You off your soapbox yet OC?

Sorry, but I thought they were referring to me, not you. I always said it was a marketing gimmick, by creating a need, and than selling a service. Other cruise lines don't sell this, and I hope they never do, because to be successful, you must reduce services to be enticing. I always get on early, seldom need to wait, have a disabled wife, get our luggage before muster drill, don't need GS and never see long lines, except for on last night for the cash people, and getting off a ship, quickly is never a problem. When a cruise line is efficient in handling customers, the need is not created. Everything benefit that FTTF offers, I get for free, and never wait in long lines.

I always said it was a marketing gimmick, by creating a need, and than selling a service. Other cruise lines don't sell this, and I hope they never do, because to be successful, you must reduce services to be enticing.
This is self-ratifying wishful thinking. Strip away your personal antipathy for the result, and what you've described is what makes Disney, Apple, Facebook, etc., as profitable as they are. Successful business is a bit of creativity and lots of capitalizing on the market that creativity creates to fund more creativity.

Other cruise lines aren't doing this - yet. Let's revisit this thread in 5-7 years.

Saying FTTF is a marketing gimmick is obviously not factual. There are tangible benefits to purchase. Benefits that many enjoy. Just because you think it's not worth it... doesn't turn those tangible benefits into vaporware.

It's here to stay for the time being, so if it helps make your trip more comfortable, go for it! We all have our reasons why we need/want or not need/want. As my husband and I get older, so does the need for it.

It is so subjective. If it is available, I will get it. If not, it won't ruin my cruise. I like to get on the ship early and drop my carry on in the cabin. If a ship is new to me, I enjoy exploring and taking pictures before the majority of people are onboard. I do enjoy bypassing the line at guest services. Only you can decide if the perks are worth it to you.