Wine Questions

MsSoCalCruiser

I do not drink wine so I have no idea about the rules. We looked on Princess but it's not really clear to us. How many bottles can we carry on per person? We read that each additional bottle has a $15 corkage per bottle, no matter where it is consumed. How many additional bottles can you bring with you? Do all bottles need to be carried on? Thank you!

I do not drink wine so I have no idea about the rules. We looked on Princess but it's not really clear to us. How many bottles can we carry on per person? We read that each additional bottle has a $15 corkage per bottle, no matter where it is consumed. How many additional bottles can you bring with you? Do all bottles need to be carried on? Thank you!

Each adult passenger can bring one 750ml bottle of wine with no fee when consumed in the cabin; there's a $15 corkage fee if you want to drink it in a dining room.

You can bring as many other bottles of wine as desired which are subject to a $15/bottle fee & can be consumed anywhere on the ship with no additional fee.

It's best to carry on wine with you & not in checked bags which could result in a visit to the Naughty Room if your bag is locked to show them it's not spirits.

I've openly brought wine from ports which are subject to a corkage fee. There's another thread discussing that situation with additional information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526722

We bring our own cork screw and foil cutter with us. Once on board we call room service and ask for two wine glasses. The room steward is really busy and you need to call room service. They will be happy to help you out. We always give them a few $$ as a tip.

Princess requests that all wine be carried on the ship with a stop at the liquor desk in the terminal before boarding to be checked and any extra bottles have the corking fee paid.

If your luggage tags are ready for printing, print them out and you'll see the rules for bringing wine on board are printed on the luggage tag.

Have a luggage tag on your carry on luggage and if challenged, show them the rule. I've had over zealous security people tell me I can't bring wine on board. These are usually shore based security who don't realise that the rules vary between cruise lines.

Princess requests that all wine be carried on the ship with a stop at the liquor desk in the terminal before boarding to be checked and any extra bottles have the corking fee paid.

I've never actually stopped at the desk when boarding, even with the 2 bottles they allow. All the times we've boarded I can't remember stopping to check them in. :confused:

Refresh my memory - do they write down your cabin number to indicate you've already carried on your max free allotment?

I have never seen a wine registry. Folks also bring on wine after shore visits - winery tours. In the Caribbean security may handle a bottle of rum after a shore visit with a wave through. Perhaps if you have familiarised yourself with security from running a muck, that might be a different story.

I've never actually stopped at the desk when boarding, even with the 2 bottles they allow. All the times we've boarded I can't remember stopping to check them in. :confused:

Refresh my memory - do they write down your cabin number to indicate you've already carried on your max free allotment?

No.

Each adult passenger can bring one 750ml bottle of wine with no fee when consumed in the cabin; there's a $15 corkage fee if you want to drink it in a dining room.

You can bring as many other bottles of wine as desired which are subject to a $15/bottle fee & can be consumed anywhere on the ship with no additional fee.

It's best to carry on wine with you & not in checked bags which could result in a visit to the Naughty Room if your bag is locked to show them it's not spirits.

I've openly brought wine from ports which are subject to a corkage fee. There's another thread discussing that situation with additional information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526722

Thank you so much for your reply. I've read this to my friends and now they understand. I never realized that people could bring on as much as they want and just pay an extra fee per bottle.

We bring our own cork screw and foil cutter with us. Once on board we call room service and ask for two wine glasses. The room steward is really busy and you need to call room service. They will be happy to help you out. We always give them a few $$ as a tip.

Good suggestion. Thank you!

If your luggage tags are ready for printing, print them out and you'll see the rules for bringing wine on board are printed on the luggage tag.

Have a luggage tag on your carry on luggage and if challenged, show them the rule. I've had over zealous security people tell me I can't bring wine on board. These are usually shore based security who don't realise that the rules vary between cruise lines.

It's a little too early for this but great idea. We will have to remember to do that. Thank you.

Actually, they have, several times, taken our cabin number down. Having said that, I have found that Princess is the more gracious cruise carrier when bringing on board a bottle of wine from ports, especially in the wine producing areas. In most cases, the security folks have just said "enjoy your wine sir/madam" when we show them our one bottle from shore. I have not been shown the same courtesy on X, NCL, or RCCL. In any event, the $15 fee is reasonable for the privilege of drinking the wine of your choice.

That depends. We have had them check that our bottles to make sure it was wine/champagne and not liquor. That time they did write down our cabin number and put little stickers on the bottles. Last time we cruised we brought on our two bottles and no table to check it in. Actually we packed champagne in our luggage recently and they held that one bag to check it to make sure it was champagne and not a bottle of liquor. When they finally delivered it to our cabin there was a sticker on the outside that said something like "liquor check" and then a note on the inside that said they checked it and it was champagne and it was ok.

So it varies by ship and by port. Sorry....no pat answer to your question.

That is true, but it's done on the honor system...and I'm not always honorable.

What would happen if they stopped you? Would you just have to pay the $15 corkage per bottle?

In 2012 we brought on a case of wine when we were sailing out of FLL. We put a luggage tag on it and checked it. I think the rules might have been changed since then, but each night when we brought a bottle to dinner, we were charged the corkage fee.

We now usually only carry on the two bottles we are allowed to without a corkage fee. We buy one of the wine packages offered and have those at dinner or if we go to a show or trivia, we can usually pick up one of the bottles in the package from the various bars. They give you a punch card and mark it for each bottle used.

Last cruise to the Panama Canal, the first day, on the pool bar at Sailaway they were offering one of the Proseccos on their menu for a very good price and you could purchase as many as you wanted and they held it there for you!

Next year we are cruising in the Med and I would love to sample the various wines from the region as we have done in the past. We were never charged then (2010) in any of the ports we brought on bottles (except when brought to the dining room). I'm hoping that will still be the case next year.

Anyone have recent experience with this?

I have found that Princess is the more gracious cruise carrier when bringing on board a bottle of wine from ports, especially in the wine producing areas. In most cases, the security folks have just said "enjoy your wine sir/madam" when we show them our one bottle from shore. I have not been shown the same courtesy on X, NCL, or RCCL. In any event, the $15 fee is reasonable for the privilege of drinking the wine of your choice.

I feel the same way & their reasonable wine policy is just one of the many reasons that Princess usually provides our best cruise experience.

Thank you so much for your reply. I've read this to my friends and now they understand. I never realized that people could bring on as much as they want and just pay an extra fee per bottle.

You're welcome & glad the information was useful.

I've attempted to post following the example of our friend Pam but too often I have failed. ;)

For Princess here in Australia the rules are the same as elsewhere but the procedures. Not so for other cruise lines whose rules change when sailing out of Australian ports.

Here in Brisbane, Australia your carry on luggage goes through a scanner the same as it does at an airport and if they detect any bottles they ask you to open your case and if it is wine or spirits, water and soft drink (soda) is OK, they direct you to a table off to one side where a Princess Security member is in attendance. If you are carrying spirits they confiscate it for return on the last night. If it is only two bottles of wine per cabin you head on board. If you have more than two bottles per cabin your cabin number is noted and your on board account will be charged AU$15/bottle for every bottle above the 2 bottle allowance and a corkage paid sticker placed on those bottles then you proceed to board.

Once you are on board you can drink the corkage paid bottles anywhere but if you take the non-corkage paid bottles to the dining room you may be charged corkage depending on the waiter.