Baltic Cruises - Russian Folk Dancers on Board

gbits

Was wondering if anyone who was recently on an Oceania baltic cruise could tell me if they had Russian folk dancers come aboard to do a show as the nightly entertainment when docked in St. Petersburg and, if so, was it on the first night in port?

It is not just on river cruises. When we visited St Petersburg with Disney Cruises they brought on a great group of local performers. And I have read of other cruise lines which have done the same. This is as well as offering the evening folk show excursion.

It is not just on river cruises. When we visited St Petersburg with Disney Cruises they brought on a great group of local performers. And I have read of other cruise lines which have done the same. This is as well as offering the evening folk show excursion.

I stand corrected

But the OP is asking about Oceania

I stand corrected

But the OP is asking about Oceania

Yes, but it demonstrates that the OP has a perfectly reasonable hope/expectation that Oceania would do as other lines do in this respect. I imagine it is all part of Oceania's low budget for entertainment!

I actually searched the Baltic Ports forum and one person did state that they Oceania did provide a folk show but it didn't indicate how long ago that was. We are signed up to do the Venice of the North tour on the 2d night. Was hoping we might see the folk show on board on the 1st night but if not I won't be devastated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, but it demonstrates that the OP has a perfectly reasonable hope/expectation that Oceania would do as other lines do in this respect. I imagine it is all part of Oceania's low budget for entertainment!

Sorry but I disagree. Based on that logic one would also have reasonable expections that ALL cruise lines spend 3 days in SPB since Oceania does. In fact very few, if any, do.

Not all cruise lines do everything the same way. Historically, Oceania has not offered this option in SPB, regardless of what other cruise lines do. That is what OP's expectations should be based upon since OP is cruising on Oceania and not other cruise lines.

That said, the option to see that performance is available to OP at a cost, if interested.

Went to SPB on Oceania in 2011 and they did have a Russian folk dance group perform onboard. Have been there twice since with no repeat. Wiks

Sorry but I disagree. Based on that logic one would also have reasonable expections that ALL cruise lines spend 3 days in SPB since Oceania does. In fact very few, if any, do.

Not all cruise lines do everything the same way. Historically, Oceania has not offered this option in SPB, regardless of what other cruise lines do. That is what OP's expectations should be based upon since OP is cruising on Oceania and not other cruise lines.

That said, the option to see that performance is available to OP at a cost, if interested.

And your logic seems very illogical!

Most people would base their expectations on what the majority of cruise lines do. If only one or two lines stay for three days, and most stay for two, then the expectation is that you will stay for two not three.

Of course all cruise lines do things differently. We have cruised on at least a dozen different ones and all have their pros and cons.

But I realise nobody should ever find fault with Oceania!

Went to SPB on Oceania in 2011 and they did have a Russian folk dance group perform on board. Have been there twice since with no repeat.

I was not "expecting" it but hoping for it as others mentioned O as one of the lines that provided folk shows on board. From what I gather, O no longer does, tho other lines continue to do so. Disappointing but not surprising - if it means people will buy this as in excursion they want to make the money.

Went to SPB on Oceania in 2011 and they did have a Russian folk dance group perform onboard. Have been there twice since with no repeat. Wiks

Good to know.

We went to SPB 3 times on a cruise - twice with O (2006 & 2015) and once with X. Never had performers come on the ship - unlucky, I guess :)

We were on this year's sole cruise to Murmansk, Archangel, and the islands. Want to get more Russian? No onboard Russian Folklore dancers.

I still need to post up my comments on the food, but the sole entree of stroganoff in the Terrace , one cruiser ranted at chef that he could get more flavorful stroganoff out of a box in the US. Another dish stripped of spices to"appeal to all the guests ". Bland and tasteless. I had real stroganoff in StP, this tasteless glop was not stroganoff, but I'm sure some were delighted with it and would post how great it was!