Next Cruise reduced deposits gone after August 1st

This is a royal disappointment. We usually book suites. Currently, we have about 20 cruises booked. Normally, it was $100x2x20 is $4,000. Now, its $450x2x20 or $18,000. Interest, even at 5% will net at least $900 annually on $18k so I have to disagree with the $1 interest. Two years worth is another cruise. What a way to reward their "loyal" members. We tend to book 2 years out as soon as the itineraries are listed to get the good cabins and 95% of the time we stay in them unless an upgrade is offered at a good discount (i.e. RS). Tying up this much money will reduce the number of cruises we can book so we may have to look elsewhere or downgrade. If you switch ships you get penalized $100 each. If you cancel you lose the entire $450 each. Perhaps RCCL needs new leadership?

I read Celebrity books at $100. What if you book the RCCL cruises on Celebrity? We've cross-bred bookings from one to another, transferred OBC, et al, but I wonder about the deposit - food for thought.

This is a royal disappointment. We usually book suites. Currently, we have about 20 cruises booked. Normally, it was $100x2x20 is $4,000. Now, its $450x2x20 or $18,000. Interest, even at 5% will net at least $900 annually on $18k so I have to disagree with the $1 interest. Two years worth is another cruise. What a way to reward their "loyal" members. We tend to book 2 years out as soon as the itineraries are listed to get the good cabins and 95% of the time we stay in them unless an upgrade is offered at a good discount (i.e. RS). Tying up this much money will reduce the number of cruises we can book so we may have to look elsewhere or downgrade. If you switch ships you get penalized $100 each. If you cancel you lose the entire $450 each. Perhaps RCCL needs new leadership?

I read Celebrity books at $100. What if you book the RCCL cruises on Celebrity? We've cross-bred bookings from one to another, transferred OBC, et al, but I wonder about the deposit - food for thought.

We booked prior to the nonrefundable crapola RCCL is imposing. I see that they are now offering my current fare for $200 less, but the condition that I convert my $250 deposit (booking on board) to $900. Then if I cancelled, I would lose the $200, and the remainder $700 would be refunded for a Future Cruise Credit. If I didn't book within the one-year timeframe, I would lose that also.

Not a good deal, in my opinion. I'm rethinking my booking options.

• 2 weeks later...

Same with Oasis last week - not busy I did get a chance to talk to the guy in charge of Next Cruises and told him that I was very unhappy about the change and that I would not be booking anything while onboard -- I almost always do. I also told him that many folks on Cruise Critic were unhappy about the reduced deposit. He had talked to others that were unhappy about the change also.

My negative views about the elimination of the reduced deposit will be in the "extra remarks" section of my post-cruise survey.

Next Cruise was busy enough on MJ this weekend. But there were only 800 C&A members onboard. So 1700 or so of my fellow passengers don't know that they used to offer reduced deposits

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I guess the new cruisers may again be the market RCI is going after -- this time for the Next Cruise desk.

You may want to look at Celebrity, we are just off the Equinox, had a great cruise and booked a 9 night southern Caribbean cruise for 2019, for only $150 per cabin. Sorry RCCL, my business will be going to Celebrity whenever I'm on a cruise.

You may want to look at Celebrity, we are just off the Equinox, had a great cruise and booked a 9 night southern Caribbean cruise for 2019, for only $150 per cabin. Sorry RCCL, my business will be going to Celebrity whenever I'm on a cruise.

Thank you for this information! I have been looking at booking the Equinox sailing Dec 2018, and was wondering if they received all the same changes with the Next Cruise Bookings on board as Royal Caribbean has. We are on Harmony of the Seas this Saturday, so guess we will make the switch to Celebrity as well for our next booking onboard. :D

It's so weird to me that someone would quite going on a cruise just because the cruiselines are fighting price increases by turning free options into paid options. The more they make paid, the more I'll like that cruiseline personally. I hate paying for anything I don't use, and I prefer being able to keep the price down just to board.

Not sure what you mean. This thread concerns the elimination of reduced deposits. Nothing to do with turning free options into paid options.

I have watched some you tube videos of different Royal ships and the authors of the videos have said they were changing cruise lines because of the changes Royal is making.

And Royal will miss them, but if one switches from Royal to Celebrity, RCCL (parent of both lines) still gets their money.;)

• 2 months later...

Really disappointed with the changes to the Royal Caribbean Next Cruise future cruise programme as from August 2017.

Without the reduced deposits I don't see any advantage to using it anymore.

We have used it 5 times before as it was a good deal and encouraged us to travel with the RCL line. No incentive to show loyalty to them now - the extra credit is too small too.