When will my stateroom be ready?

HerbertandB

I haven't cruised in a very long time so it's like being new to cruising all over again...

From reading the forums, I get the impression that rooms are ready (for those that aren't D/P/FTTF) at 1:30 for a 4:00 departure. Is that alway true or does that vary? And how do I know the room is ready?

I'm pretty sure they do make a "cabins are now ready" announcement. We have been allowed access as early as 12:30 pm and as late as 1:30 pm. No Diamond and Platinum members we did not ignore the sign, it was down and the corridors open.

The staff that greets you as you board will let you know what time to expect them being ready.

• Like 2

Typically, an announcement is made when the rooms are ready, but, unless you're paying attention, you may not hear it. At around 1:00 p.m., you could go check to see if the fire doors at the end of the hallway are open, which would mean the rooms are ready.

Personally, without P, D or FTTF I would go to the terminal say 1230-1 pm ish, board and go straight to my room at 130 and then head to Lido for lunch. It makes for a so much more relaxing start to the cruise and avoids the I need to be first on mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the replies.

My current thinking (which could change in 200+ days) is I'll try for a later terminal time, 1-1:30, so once we board we'll be able to go straight to the cabin to drop off our "stuff". We'll be leaving out of NOLA so we'll do brunch/lunch there before boarding.

• Like 1

Personally, without P, D or FTTF I would go to the terminal say 1230-1 pm ish, board and go straight to my room at 130 and then head to Lido for lunch. It makes for a so much more relaxing start to the cruise and avoids the I need to be first on mentality.

For DH and I .....Cabins are ready a "lunch and an umbrella drink" after boarding :D:tropical-drink:

We normally arrive at the pier at 11:00 with a small wheeled tote bag each. After boarding we head to find a table in the neighborhood of the deli and salad bar for lunch. We have a leisurely lunch then order an umbrella drink. By the time we're done the cabins are ready,... and so are we.

We had already unpacked, gone to lunch, and returned to our cabin by 1:30PM when we heard the announcement that cabins were ready for occupancy. We thought it very odd that this announcement was broadcast over our cabin speakers, like the emergency or drill reports.

I mean, if others weren't supposed to be in their cabins yet, why would the announcement go into the cabins that they were now ready? Who was to hear it? The Plats & Diamonds like me? Why?

We had already unpacked, gone to lunch, and returned to our cabin by 1:30PM when we heard the announcement that cabins were ready for occupancy. We thought it very odd that this announcement was broadcast over our cabin speakers, like the emergency or drill reports.

I mean, if others weren't supposed to be in their cabins yet, why would the announcement go into the cabins that they were now ready? Who was to hear it? The Plats & Diamonds like me? Why?

I think it was just a matter of what button was possibly incorrectly pushed on the Public Announcement console and wouldn't read too much into this.

Who was to hear??? Well maybe the "channel" used reaches areas not included in general passenger announcements. Maybe the cabins were not the intended audience but are included because that is the "channel" that needed to be used. No idea but I seriously doubt "Plats / Diamonds like me" were the intended audience.

• Like 1

Announcements can be targeted to specific areas of a ship. They can customize the broadcast as they see fit.

It wasn't a big deal, just real odd. We said at the time it was a rookie doing the announcement. May have been the same person who hosts the comedy club.

Cabin stewards who are still finishing up....it's basically like last call for them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

It seems like our cabin has been ready early on occasion, (maybe between 12:30-1:00) but typically we would board, go see if our hallway was open. If not, we would grab some lunch, then go check again. We just turned platinum on our last cruise, so it was really nice to be able to go straight to the room to put away our belongings. I would imagine that the time they are ready is dependent upon how quickly everyone disembarks, which of course is dependent upon how quickly customs clears the ship.

• 2 years later...
On 7/30/2017 at 8:56 AM, A&Jfamily said:

Yep, that's what I do. I don't get to the terminal before 1 pm.  I walk onto the ship and head directly to my room.