Have you cruised solo and did you like it?

Peachypooh

Our local electrician sadly lost his wife around eight years ago now. He is young at heart, energetic and very sociable. We persuaded him to come on a TA cruise with us four years ago now. He has been cruising with us ever since. We enjoy his company but he does his own thing and sometimes we don't happen across him for days! He absolutely loves NCL. He takes a balcony cabin now though instead of the solo but he still like to participate in solo events - He meets lots of people and all the bar tenders we encounter know of him :)

He gets off at port - does excursions and quite honestly puts us to shame!

I cannot think of a better vacation than a cruise for someone travelling solo -

Its safe, secure, easy to meet others (I think secretly he is hoping one of these days he might meet a special someone!) and there is so much to do or "not to do" as your heart desires.

We refer to him as our cousin - he is a firm family friend. We never feel he encroaches on our timeout - and equally we hope we don't encroach on his.

He has also cruised twice on his own - and loved every minute.

We love catching up on his daily gossip - he always has a tale to tell.

We meet up some nights for dinner - or sometimes just bump into one another in the bars - but on the whole he does his thing and we do ours -

We have mastered the whole "solo with friends" cruising -

Looking forward to our next adventure :D

Go solo at least yearly my wife hates mass market ships. I want somewhere warm for spring break.

If I didn't enjoy it I would stop doing it.

Only potential bad thing is you have to know how to entertain yourself.

Go solo at least yearly my wife hates mass market ships. I want somewhere warm for spring break.

If I didn't enjoy it I would stop doing it.

Only potential bad thing is you have to know how to entertain yourself.

So true but occasionally I end up doing that on group trips too.

Edited by C Cruise Dude
more

Have cruised solo five times and love it.

In addition to all the reasons mentioned here, you'd be surprised at how much good sleep you get with a whole week of not getting jostled by significant others or walked on by cats.

I'm used to the NCL solo studios, but I'll be trying an Oasis inside next. The 175 square feet is going to feel like a suite by comparison.

I have cruised solo quite a few times after becoming a widow with no

problems. Depending on the itinerary I have taken inside or balcony

cabins.

SO easy to meet folks. First at the Meet & Greet, at daily activities and

one can share a table at dinner if one wishes.

And no one hogs the bathroom!

I cruised solo on the Epic when she was a new baby ship. Took a New Year's Eve cruise out of Miami, and I loved every minute of it. Normally I cruise either with hubby or with a big group, and it can get hectic. Cruising by myself meant I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, be social or not. Plus, the solo cabins are amazing! There are plenty of activities planned for solo travelers, so you don't have to be a loner if you don't want to be. I would love to do it again!

I've been fortunate in being able to cruise frequently. I have only cruised solo when NCL has dropped the supplement, which NCL is great at doing. Wish other lines price dumped their surplus. I do last minute bookings.

I've been fortunate in being able to cruise frequently. I have only cruised solo when NCL has dropped the supplement, which NCL is great at doing. Wish other lines price dumped their surplus. I do last minute bookings.

I saw NCL drop their supplement once last winter outta NY. I missed it but won't miss it this year. Have you seen this often? where do you sail from?

I saw NCL drop their supplement once last winter outta NY. I missed it but won't miss it this year. Have you seen this often? where do you sail from?

I picked up 9 cruises last year, and 4 this year (plus a double occupancy cruise).

I sail from multiple ports.

I just booked another yesterday for November. Summer is peak season, so few if any deals. I only had one cruise last month on the Star. But I've been picking up deals, rest of the year.

I have cruised solo twice...and loved it !! DH and I cruise together..BUT i really enjoyed my solo times. As others have said..it is just great being able to do your own thing even if that thing is doing nothing !!!;)

I often refer to those cruises as my "running away from home" adventures.:D

Has there been any consistency to the timing of the supplement drop? I only caught one ever and it was about 45 days out, but I don't know how long it had already been in effect before I bought. It didn't last too much longer after that if I recall.

There is a site (TA) I cannot mention that lists these deals. Some 0% some higher. Google is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know a site that allows me to search for them, albeit somewhat unreliably (it's necessary to confirm on the cruise line website, as the updates to the 3rd party site may not be instantaneous), but it doesn't send notifications (for changes in solo fares - it does notify of changes in double-occupancy fares.)

There is a site (TA) I cannot mention that lists these deals. Some 0% some higher. Google is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've used one of the t/a sites and that search is not 100% accurate, they will offer singles discounts of very minimal value and completely over look a 0% supplement.

Really need a new thread to fully discuss, we are hijacking.

The most reliable thing to do is check NCL's site frequently for sailings you're interested in, with 1 guest selected. I've seen them drop the double occupancy there for GTY balconies, and those prices not show up elsewhere. I usually book pretty close to sailing.

I'm "kind of" a solo cruiser. Daughter and I "kind of" cruise together. We share the same cabin, but that's where it ends. We eat breakfast together and then she goes her way and I go my way. Then we meet for dinner and then I go my way and she goes her way. Works great for us! 😊

I'm "kind of" a solo cruiser. Daughter and I "kind of" cruise together. We share the same cabin, but that's where it ends. We eat breakfast together and then she goes her way and I go my way. Then we meet for dinner and then I go my way and she goes her way. Works great for us! 😊

That's the optimal situation as long as you can live in the same room without killing each other. It's good to have someone along who can help you if something goes wrong - that's definitely something I think about based on because of personal experience.

The last trip I took there was a large group of seniors that wanted to travel solo but didn't want to feel alone so they joined this group that is nationwide and cruised. Most did not know anyone in the group. I ran across them frequently in the pool. I was sailing with my significant other.Sorry if I can't remember the name of their group. I also met two separate women cruising solo not in this group. One I met in the pool and the other in the buffet. They were all thrilled to be traveling solo. This was on a Jewell class ship so I am assuming at least a few of them were staying solo in a cabin despite the higher cost than sharing. I have never sailed solo but I have to admit there is a certain appeal to it. My idea of cruising is to sit on my balcony looking at the ocean, sipping tea while reading a book and just walking around the ports. My partner's idea is to go, go, go every minute. I usually just do what they want to do because I don't want to spoil their vacation but then I end up coming home and feeling like I just lived someone else's vacation. Has anyone here cruised solo? In my case is the grass always greener on the other side of the cruise (ha) or is it really nice to do whatever you want to do. Thanks.

I've been on 31 cruises and most of my cruises I travel solo. I've shared a cabin three times if I remember correctly. When you cruise solo you have the freedom to do what you want when you want. If you want to meet people all you have to do is share a dinner table or simply go outside your cabin. My last two cruises involved the Panama Canal and I had a forward facing balcony cabin. Both times I invited someone to share my great balcony location.

There are lots of ways to meet people, if that is what you want to do. But when you want to do something, you are free to do it and do it when you want.