Wine purchased at ports of call

Kittyonions

hi,

Will be boarding Royal Princess in Barcelona soon, and am not familiar with Princess procedure. Am I allowed to bring on the ship a bottle of wine only on Embarkation or can I purchase a bottle at one of the ports of call. Your advice would be much appreciated, as we are flying from U.K, and with a direct transfer to the ship, we will not have the opportunity to purchase wine prior to boarding.

hi,

Will be boarding Royal Princess in Barcelona soon, and am not familiar with Princess procedure. Am I allowed to bring on the ship a bottle of wine only on Embarkation or can I purchase a bottle at one of the ports of call. Your advice would be much appreciated, as we are flying from U.K, and with a direct transfer to the ship, we will not have the opportunity to purchase wine prior to boarding.

We were able to take wine on board in Barcelona mid cruise. There is a wine shop in the terminal. That could be dated information since our visit there was in 2014.

hi,

You definitely can bring wine on board at ports of call. Be prepared to pay $15 corkage after the first bottle per person of drinking age per cabin and $15 corkage for any wine consumed in a public area. If I remember correctly, the wine shop at the port in Barcelona is after the Princess security screening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Technically you only get the one bottle free of corkage at embarkation but they tend to be very low key about this and we have brought wine on at other ports without issue. Remember if you bring it to dinner you will be charged corkage there.

In Europe we have never had a problem bringing wine to the cabin. Many of the ports do security screening in the port building and not on the ship. Bring a corkscrew or look for screwtops. We found a good 1-liter Rosé in Rotterdam for about €5.

Steve

Many thanks everyone for the information I needed. $15 corkage seems very reasonable, given that we should be able to buy some decent wine in South of France and Italy.

You could also buy a bottle of wine at your UK airport after you have passed through security and hand carry it onboard the aircraft. All airlines allow that now - even Ryanair!!!

We were able to bring wine onboard in Europe ports. We ask from Room Service for cork screw and wine glass.

More and more moderately priced wines seem to come in screwtop bottles which we find useful to avoid having to wait on room service for cork screws.

Also grab wine glasses periodically from bar and bring back to cabin.

Depending on your itinerary... We were able to find bottles of Absinthe in Barcelona within sight of the Columbus memorial near the docks. Can't bring it back to the states so drink it there.

We got really good wine in Cinque Terre, where the vineyards are populated with lemon trees. We also got really good wine near the summit of Mt. Vesuvius, grown on its slopes. Of course, you should bring back limoncello as well. If you go to Greece, ouzo is good. We also tried retsina (wine with pine resin) and grappa (wine made with leftover residue after the grapes are stomped), and both tasted like cr*p. Not worth the luggage space coming home.

Fortunately we were able to pack (11 bottles as I remember) using bubble wrap and cardboard, and made it home with all unbroken.

• 4 weeks later...

tasted like cr*p. Not worth the luggage space coming home.

We were in Paris & found a friendly wine shop...Paid 116€ (coulda bought it for $99 in NH) for Dom Perignon, got it home, & hated it.

Give me Asti Spumante instead!

OTOH we brought back some Framboise which went well with ginger ale.

Steve

Has anyone found good wine at Panama Canal ports? We are doing the

east bound from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale. Two bottles will not last

long on this 15 day cruise. :o

TIA

You are not limited to two bottles of wine when you board in LA. You just need to pay $15/bottle corkage on additional wines.

There appear to be three 15 day itineraries with different ports of call.

If you stop at Puerto Vallarta the Walmart across from the pier has had some reasonable wines in the past.

If you stop at Fuerte Amador there was a shop that had a small selection of decent wines near the tender dock. By the time we returned from our tour many of the bottles had been sold and there was a significantly lower selection.

If you stop at Aruba the Kong Hing Supermarket near the port on Havenstraat had a fairly extensive wine selection to buy a bottle or two for the last two sea days on the way to FLL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

We will be on the Royal in October Barcelona TA cruise to FLL and plan to pick up a bottle of wine at each port. We will be staying on the ship an additional 10 days when it arrives in FLL so the Spanish wines will be a treat. We always bring our allotted 2 bottles (1 each) at embarkation. After 38 Princess cruises, I can say that we have bought a bottle of wine at many different ports around the world and just put the bottle through the scanner on the ship. Did not try to hide it at all. Never once have we been asked to pay a corkage which we would have gladly paid.

We have bought wine at ports of call and brought them back on the ship without any problems. A few times we have been asked for the $15 corkage fee but most of the time we just took them to our stateroom. If you drink them in the stateroom, there is no problem. However if you take them to the MDR or bars, the bottle has to have their stamp on it or they are supposed to charge you the corking fee. We always drink all of our wine in our stateroom as an afternoon treat on the balcony.

We have been on B2B and were allowed 1 bottle/pax/cruise such that the first 4 bottles that we had were allowed without the corking fee.