Looking for things to do in Ketchikan

balconywinds

Hi Everyone,

This is my second time posting on any of the boards, so bear with me as a I learn a little here.

My wife and I are doing the Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary in two weeks time aboard the Island Princess. We've got excursions booked in Juneau and Skagway, but nothing in Ketchikan is really catching our eye. I'm wondering if people have any suggestions for things to see and do that may not be part of your typical port excursions sold by Princess or even the local tour guides for that matter.

I'm looking here for things like, "My wife and I were walking around town and came across..." or "We decided to hike a local trail called...". We're very much nature lovers and don't mind a good hike. Equally, if there is something absolutely fascinating in town I'd love to hear about that too!

I look forward to hearing what people have to suggest. :)

Google Ketchikan Areas Trail Guide and you will find a multi-agency pdf booklet with excellent descriptions of the trails in and around Ketchikan. Some of the trails can be walked to from the trip, others require transportation. The trails range from easy to difficult and short to long. If you enjoy hiking, Ketchikan is one of my favorite places for extraordinary hiking through the rain forest.

Did you look thru the 2016 and 2015 trip reports to read about other travelers experienced?

look at the town web site which has info on a few trails .... http://www.experienceketchikan.com/alaska-hiking.html

download the free Visitor Guide .....http://visit-ketchikan.com/About-Ketchikan/Free-Guide.aspx

Take the town bus out to Totem bight where you can enjoy the totems, walk along the waterfront to enjoy the views and a rainforest trail. (details in the experienceketchikan link). Then come back to town and do the self guided walking tour.

I like just walking around Ketchikan. You can get a self-guided map from one of the tourist info places. You will come across random totem poles (lots of times in people's yards) and you can hike up Married Man's Trail and go to the fish ladder. At that time I'm sure you will see salmon everywhere. We also enjoy Creek Street.

Some people go out of town to do hikes and see the totem poles, but Ketchikan is such a cool little place, we enjoy just walking around and taking in the ambiance.

Hi Everyone,

This is my second time posting on any of the boards, so bear with me as a I learn a little here.

My wife and I are doing the Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary in two weeks time aboard the Island Princess. We've got excursions booked in Juneau and Skagway, but nothing in Ketchikan is really catching our eye. I'm wondering if people have any suggestions for things to see and do that may not be part of your typical port excursions sold by Princess or even the local tour guides for that matter.

I'm looking here for things like, "My wife and I were walking around town and came across..." or "We decided to hike a local trail called...". We're very much nature lovers and don't mind a good hike. Equally, if there is something absolutely fascinating in town I'd love to hear about that too!

I look forward to hearing what people have to suggest. :)

Mr Ski did a kayak trip there and enjoyed it. They saw a whale actually jump out of the water and "blow".

I agree with AmberCascades--Ketchikan is fabulous for just walking around. It's picturesque, there are totem poles everywhere in town, salmon for sale every which way, and of the three ports we went to--Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan--Ketchikan had the best shopping (widest variety at the best prices). There's Eskimo art, Russian nesting dolls and all sorts of souvenirs. - Musing About Cruising

We did a boat tour in Ketchikan and while we enjoyed it very much, I would love to go back and just walk around the town. Since it's usually a short port stop on most itineraries, I think the town lends itself to that. It's easy to find the walking tour and also some trail guides--the Married Man's trail is a popular one.

If you are interested in a guided walking tour, I have seen Wild Wolf Tours recommended here.

http://www.wildwolftours.com/

Wow, so many great suggestions! I knew there would be folks here who could point us in the right direction. I think we'll certainly take some time to check out the town itself and then maybe wonder about on some of the local hiking trails. Thanks so much to everyone for your input!

We used some of the links already provided to do a self-guided tour of Ketchikan followed by a hike along part of the Rainbird Trail, which we very much enjoyed. We saw one hiker exiting the trail just as we began and did not see another person on the trail--nice!

I highly recommend the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. I booked it as a HAL shore excursion, but it may be able to be booked individually. The tour is on the Aluetian Ballard which is a ship that was part of the TV Series Deadliest Catch. Many of the crew and Captain/Owner of the vessel spent many years of their lives crabbing and they talk about their lives' experiences both off the boat (stories as to how they came to be crab fishermen) and on the boat. We sailed to 4 or 5 pots which were pulled aboard and the contents dumped on the deck in front of the tour members. King Crabs, Snow Crabs, huge shrimp, some small fish, even an octopus were part of the catch. If desired, we were able to hold some of the animals before they were returned to the sea. At one stop where there were many Eagles, a crew member threw cut-up parts of some fish overboard and we watched and tried to get photos of the Eagles swooping down to try to capture an easy meal. This is simply a great tour and one that I would re-do if in Ketchikan again.

We used some of the links already provided to do a self-guided tour of Ketchikan followed by a hike along part of the Rainbird Trail, which we very much enjoyed. We saw one hiker exiting the trail just as we began and did not see another person on the trail--nice!

How long did the Rainbird Trail take you?

Hi!

We're going in two weeks. Coming up quick!

Totally! I'm going Sunday, doing a thing with a guide I found reading here and Trip Advisor for 3 hours, private and pretty economical, we've told him what we are into (outdoors, fishing etc) but I won't be able to report on it until after you have left. Have fun!

Totally! I'm going Sunday, doing a thing with a guide I found reading here and Trip Advisor for 3 hours, private and pretty economical, we've told him what we are into (outdoors, fishing etc) but I won't be able to report on it until after you have left. Have fun!

Ah, too bad for us, but I hope you enjoy. I look forward to reading your review of it!