Barcelona - help

Biris

Hi,

We are a group of 14, ages from 50-8. We will be staying 4 days in Barcelona post cruise. This will be our first time in Barcelona. I've sent the last 2 weeks here in reading the posts, and I still need help. To save money, we'd try to DIY rather than booking tours. We'll be staying in the Eixample area. Please help me with the questions below:

1. Should we buy the T10 or HOHO, or BCN card?

2. On Sunday, there are free entry to Picasso museum, museum of national art, and montjuic castle. Is this information still current or outdated?

3. We are planning to spend 1 day to visit Monserrat. Which bus will take us there, from Eixample?

4. We will spend 1 day exploring Gothic area, La Rampla, Plaza Cataluya, Sagrada Familia.

5. Should we include Girona and Costa Brava in our plans? If not, are there any other places in or around Barcelona that we should visit?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Biris

Hi,

We are a group of 14, ages from 50-8. We will be staying 4 days in Barcelona post cruise. This will be our first time in Barcelona. I've sent the last 2 weeks here in reading the posts, and I still need help. To save money, we'd try to DIY rather than booking tours. We'll be staying in the Eixample area. Please help me with the questions below:

2. On Sunday, there are free entry to Picasso museum, museum of national art, and montjuic castle. Is this information still current or outdated?

3. We are planning to spend 1 day to visit Monserrat. Which bus will take us there, from Eixample?

4. We will spend 1 day exploring Gothic area, La Rampla, Plaza Cataluya, Sagrada Familia.

5. Should we include Girona and Costa Brava in our plans? If not, are there any other places in or around Barcelona that we should visit?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Biris

1. Depends on which option you feel would give you the most bang for your buck. I have used the metro in BCN and the HOHO - the HOHO will give you an above ground overview to get your bearings in the city

2. The sites you listed are not free on every Sunday.

Picasso museum is free only on the 1st Sunday of every month. http://www.bcn.cat/museupicasso/en/visiting/hours-and-tickets.html

Montjuic Castle is free only on the 1st Sunday of every month. http://ajuntament.barcelona.cat/castelldemontjuic/en/visit/admission-and-opening-times

Museum of National Art - free every Saturday from 3pm and on the 1st Sunday of each month

3. Montserrat - we took the train and it was a snap. Make sure that you decide which you want at Montserrat - cable car or funicular. Excellent directions for visiting Montserrat here: https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-montserrat.html

1.) Depends on what you intend to do. Barcelona is a city made for strolling with charming avenues, lots of trees, constant sunny weather and plenty of things to see at every corner, so it's best to plan for such... and maybe get a T-10 to take the metro/bus/tramway if and when necessary, noting that there's not a "touristic centre" but attractions are spread across the city in several of its districts and neighbourhoods so moving about is necessary if you want to minimally gauge the city.

2.) Your asseveration is incomplete: a number of sites and museums have some days/hours in which entrance is free, many on Sunday afternoon (for sites run by the City Hall: http://ajuntament.barcelona.cat/museus/diumengestarda/ ) but others also on different days or only certain days in the month, so best to check their respective websites for more details. As a rough figure, there are at least a dozen sites that are free on Sunday afternoon plus a number more in other days. Sadly this does not apply to many of the most iconic sites (ie Sagrada Família, Casa Batlló, La Pedrera, etc) as these are run by private foundations and are always in very high demand. One thing to take into consideration though: Barcelona has 2 million residents... and obviously we take advantage of these free days, so if you're on a tight schedule do reconsider visiting on a free day as the crowds are even larger than on a normal day.

3.) Read this article I prepared for all you need to know: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/spain/a-visit-to-montserrat-the-holy-mountain-near-barcelona-in-catalonia

4. ) Unlikely... that can't be "explored" in one day... it can't, properly that is. If you intend to DIY walk, check this map https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2FZxJpeWEpA.kwM2d8YxuELQ and this post https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7497538-Please_check_my_itinerary_including_restaurant_selections-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58659238 also have a look at this to get your bearings http://monbarcino.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/barris_bcn.jpg

5.) Costa Brava is a region.... it's not something you visit in a day (not even in a fortnight!)

Since the number of activities/sites to see in Barcelona is rather large, it's best if you have a look at these websites to get ideas:

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/en/

http://www.infocatalonia.eu/

http://www.timeout.com/barcelona

http://lameva.barcelona.cat/en

http://www.barcelonaesmoltmes.cat/en/inici

There is a music museum worth seeing. It is a concert hall and very worth while. There is an excellent beach resort, Sitges, 45 minutes away by train. Spent a beautiful day there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to jump in on this thread. We have an overnight in Barcelona and are interested in spending time at a beach. Can you provide more information about this? Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To mention that Sitges is not a beach resort, it's a town (population 28,000) which happens to be on the coast, like many other towns and cities in Catalonia... and all of them have a variety of beaches, from sandy golden ones like in Sitges, Vilanova i la Geltrú or Castelldefels -south of Barcelona- or Premià de Mar, Vilassar de Mar or Mataró, north of Barcelona.... all are within easy reach by train (less than 1h) to the wilder coves and picturesque towns along Costa Brava, north of the region, which probably require an overnight if visiting from Barcelona, to the long wide beaches near the Ebre river delta, to the south of the region, in Costa Daurada.

For a peek to Sitges, or to Vilanova i la Geltrú ...

Barcelona in itself has 3 miles of beaches, divided into 10 beaches, and a while back, it was declared the best Beach City by National Geographic.

Edited by EnricM

4. One day for all of that is very ambitious depending on what you are going to do. Sagrada Familia could be a 2+ hour visit depending on how fascinated you are by the amazing details on the building. I suppose you could do the rest as long as all you want to do is walk, walk, and more walking. However if you are going to stop at the Picasso Museum in the El Born or La Boqueria near Las Ramblas or Santa Maria Basilica in the Gothic Quarter you are going to run out of time really quickly. We spent three full days exploring the Gothic Quarter, El Born, the area around Las Ramblas, Placa de Catalunya, and Passieg de Gracia and still felt really rushed...

5. We spent one really long day travelling up to Figueres to see the Dali Museum (well worth it and see the jewelry collection too) and then back down to Girona to wander around the old city center for a few hours. Girona is beautiful and definitely less crowded than Barcelona. The Jewish museum is very interesting and there are many well preserved buildings all the way back to the middle ages to explore. Plus Girona has one of the most picturesque spots on a pedestrian bridge looking back to the old town at sunset. Excluding lunch and dinner the whole excursion took around 8 hours.

We took the HOHO bus as an inexpensive tour of the city with commentary by headphones. To beat our jet lag, we did all three loops on our first day, only getting off to change loops, and it took five hours. We would have taken a break for a bite to eat after the first two loops, but it was getting late and we wouldn't have had time to complete the third loop before the ticket expired if we had. We started after lunch and should have tried starting earlier. It was a great way to get an overview of the city. We bought a few T10 tickets, that we shared, to get around for the rest of the week.

We really enjoyed Barceloneta Beach, a bit crowded the day we were there during the first week in September. Ate at a beach restaurant and collected sea glass. Because we were in Barcelona for a whole week, we took the train to Sitges one day and had lunch. It was lovely but I wouldn't bother go back if short on time. We spent a day taking the train to Monserrat, worth the trip!

There are many good websites that list things like "What to do in Barcelona in 3 days", etc. i would look at things like that. They would at least try to keep you in the same part of the city etc. Also check your local library for books also.

Just my 2 cents worth here from our first trip to Barcelona this past April - We did not enjoy the Picaso Museum, just not our style, it was not the typical Picaso art we think of, it was older work.

And if by any chance your younger members are interested in Soccer, we liked the Camp Nou tour. You can get there by metro.

Try to enjoy the research. Make sure at least one or two others in your party is researching also. Then compare notes and go from there.

We liked it enough, we are going again next year.

And yes, get the T10 tickets, good value.

We loved the Picasso Museum. It showed how his work evolved over the course of his career. One needs to read the narrative as you move to room. It's like a timeline of his life. In the end you see how he reimagined one of his early paintings into the cubist abstract he became famous for.

My two cents: I think you should buy a T-10 ticket. Decide on what you are going to visit and how many rides you will need for 14 people. A T-10 ticket gives you the freedom to go directly to where you want to visit and not have to wait for the Ho-Ho bus.

You and a million other people will be visiting on the free day.(if it's the first sunday of the month for the Picasso) so you will be waiting a long time.

I suggest you contact the museum and see if you can get a group rate for the 14 people and get a set time to enter.

That way you keep the waiting in line to a minimum.

I enjoyed the Picasso Museum. It's his EARLY stuff. You will need the audio headsets, which are provided with the cost of admission to understand what you are seeing and why it's relevant. Your museum visit will take 2-3 hours. If you aren't interested in Picasso or think you're going to see the famous stuff, skip this museum.

You can take the Metro to Jaume I Station. its a short walk along Carrer de la Princesa to the museum. Absolutely walkable from the metro station.

We also visited Montjuic castle- using our T-10 ticket which included the Metro to parallel station and the funicular up/down the hill and then took the bus #150 to the Castle stop.

The castle is empty, so don't expect a lot. You are going here for the view, which is incredible. We liked the Miro museum nearby. Budget 2 hours for that museum.

Take the Train from plaza Espanya Station. use your t-10 ticket and take the metro to get to this station. then buy your train tickets from the vending machine or at the window.

go early in the morning. We took the 830 am train and it was jam-packed. We had to stand the whole hour it took to get to the station for the Cremallera - rack railway train- which takes you to the top of the mountain. You could also take the cable car. (one station before the cremallera) Your choice which needs to be made at the time you buy your train ticket at Plaza Espanya I don't remember how many people the cable car holds, but the cremallera train cars will fit all 14 of you easily.

Buy tickets in advance for Sagrada Familia. Or you will be waiting in line for hours. With 14 of you, you should be able to get a group rate and a certain entrance time and purchasing a guided tour is also worth it. There is a metro station at the corner, so your T-10 ticket will come in handy here. Plan for all morning at Sagrada Familia

You could then take the Metro to Plaza Catalunya and then walk down La Rambla and turn left after the Boqueria to visit the Cathedral and the Gothic Area. or walk down to the Columbus monument. That can take up the afternoon.

No. The Costa Brava is a region that really can't be done in a day.

The other Barcelona Sites worth mentioning are parc Guell, La Pedreda, Casa Mila. the magic fountain on summer weekend nights. the beach at Barcelona, the harbor area around the Columbus monument. Depends what you are interested in seeing.

Thank you all again, especially EnricM and dkata. Lots of things to do and not enough time. We've been to the carribean multiple times, so this will not include any beach time. We'll just forget about the free stuffs :D

I should have done more research before purchasing the plane tickets. Ohh well, there's always next time. Cheers!

Here is Barcelona right now, ready to embark for my cruise :)

Thank you for all your recombination and review, they have been really helpful.

Bon Voyage:)........I fly to Barcelona tomorrow:D

Not sure which hotel we will stay for 2 nites in Barcelona before TA on Epic. For 2 adults what is the cheapest and best way to get from airport to Travelodge Poblenou? Taxi cost? Shuttles recommendation and cost?

Other hotel being considered is Barcelona Airport hotel which has a free shuttle.

What do you recommend for shuttle or taxi to port on Sunday?

Zelly2 - if you want to see and do things in Barcelona, you'd be better to stay in that area, not near the airport.

Hopefully those that have stayed in those areas will chime in and give ideas. We used an Airbnb, but for the next trip need a hotel so will be following. If not, search some of the threads that mention Barcelona hotels.

Not sure which hotel we will stay for 2 nites in Barcelona before TA on Epic. For 2 adults what is the cheapest and best way to get from airport to Travelodge Poblenou? Taxi cost? Shuttles recommendation and cost?

Other hotel being considered is Barcelona Airport hotel which has a free shuttle.

What do you recommend for shuttle or taxi to port on Sunday?

we stayed at Ramblas Hotel, old but very Catalan. Dont know when yourTA is but mine was in October and i paid $129 per night. Just looked up and with travelocity special rate is $147 per night