Holiday staff gift

aquawater2

Villauk..Oh I do know & understand that that not every country has a Walmart but they have over 10,000 stores in more than 25 different countries.. There may not be any in NZ but I know there are a quite a few in China, India & Japan.. We even found a couple in Africa.. I can assure you that the crew always gets to a Walmart store in many off shore places when we've cruised other lines.. The crew knows where they all are & always return to the ship with plenty of Walmart bags.. We even helped one crew member carry some of their bags when we boarded a bus back to the ship in South America.. But heard that they may be closing some of the stores in Brazil &/or Chili..

This is like giving teachers food and candy and Christmas mugs and ornaments. They have cabinets full of mugs, or look at Goodwill. How many best teacher ornaments can you have? Foods- you don't know their allergies, likes,etc. They don't know where you bought stuff or if you made a treat how "sanitary " the kitchen is. I've seen teacher lounge full of stuff at Christmas and most gets pitched. Sad someone took time to make but when you see the kids who are not the cleanest coming to school you really don't want to eat food they bring in.

Money and thank you note!

Agree with you.. We are on a Reflection Christmas/New Years cruise.. For those who celebrate Christmas, I plan to make up little packets with a small Walmart Gift card in them plus a little gift from my Mary Kaye lady & a Candy Cane for an extra Christmas gift for special crew.. Love some of the little candy canes that Amazon is selling..

Hopefully you will be giving these out the last day, because I'm sure there would be hurt feelings of those that have served you during your cruise who don't celebrate Christmas, but see others who also served you getting gifts, while they get zilch.

We gave cash - in addition to any additional gratuities we would have given. As chemmo says it is difficult to give gifts because of space/weight problems and avoid giving edibles because of different dietary requirements.

Totally agree with this perspective!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You could give them a traditional gift....

Socks, pants, a bottle of supermarket aftershave, a bottle of a TV show related shower gel, some de-icer, handkerchiefs, a hand-knitted jumper, a gift card for a shop I never go to!( and will go out of business the day before) , an autobiography of a Celebrity I've never heard of

:D

You could give them a traditional gift....

Socks, pants, a bottle of supermarket aftershave, a bottle of a TV show related shower gel, some de-icer, handkerchiefs, a hand-knitted jumper, a gift card for a shop I never go to!( and will go out of business the day before) , an autobiography of a Celebrity I've never heard of

:D

:evilsmile: Yes, cash is definitely best ;).

Given Walmart or other gift cards is giving them an errand. Just give cash.

This topic comes up on CC all the time (there is currently a long thread on the "Ask A Cruise Question" forum about it) In my ten plus years on this site every single time, the vast majority agree that cash is the way to go, and positive feedback to the cruise line.

Of course they will smile and thank you for your gifts, what else would you expect them to do?

Food items, even fine chocolate are generally not the best. Crew members already have access to all the food and goodies they need or want. Cash in a holiday card is something that we always do. I'll bring several generic holiday cards with me. No matter what their religious background might be, a pretty card is still a pretty card.

If the itinerary stops in Cozumel, I also but a few pairs silver earrings (these are very nice quality for $10 or even less). The girls who have stood out, will also receive a pair as a holiday thank-you. Seriously, they love them. And even if they say they love them and really don't, a pair of earrings take up no space and could be transported back home with them between contracts ... a gift for Mum, or little sister.

Nevertheless, cash is always the indisputable king.

And even if they say they love them and really don't, a pair of earrings take up no space and could be transported back home with them between contracts ... a gift for Mum, or little sister.

Nevertheless, cash is always the indisputable king.

And if a 100 passengers give them a pair of earings, I guess that would take up space.

I think folks have to remember that they are not the only passenger on the ship that might be giving a crew member a gift. With their cabins being so small, even a small gift times a number of passengers can take up a lot of space, that they don't have. Cash fits nicely in their cabin, as it fits in their pocket, purse or the safe.

Kind of a harsh response there from Mr. Arizona! My clear point remains, and I quote myself: "Cash Is King!"

The Christmas earrings gift that I mentioned, refers to stops in Cozumel, where these items are plentiful, great quality, and cheap. I've always selected small earrings, often studs, and usually with a coloured stone that goes with the uniform, or similar to what I've seen the girl(s) wearing. In every case so far (over many years and with several cruise lines), recipients have worn the earrings the next day and were very excited to show me.

I doubt that my well-intentioned suggestion on these Boards would result in more than a single pair of earrings given to any particular young lady. If that!

Having worked most of my life as a crew member at sea (and air), I have a profound understanding of how difficult it is to be distanced from home and family during the holidays. A pretty card, perhaps a extra couple of bucks, or a small pair of earrings from an appreciative guest ... these are all very welcome gestures of kindness.

Kudos to the OP for bringing our thoughtful attention to this subject.

Kind of a harsh response there from Mr. Arizona! My clear point remains, and I quote myself: "Cash Is King!"

The Christmas earrings gift that I mentioned, refers to stops in Cozumel, where these items are plentiful, great quality, and cheap. I've always selected small earrings, often studs, and usually with a coloured stone that goes with the uniform, or similar to what I've seen the girl(s) wearing. In every case so far (over many years and with several cruise lines), recipients have worn the earrings the next day and were very excited to show me.

I doubt that my well-intentioned suggestion on these Boards would result in more than a single pair of earrings given to any particular young lady. If that!

Having worked most of my life as a crew member at sea (and air), I have a profound understanding of how difficult it is to be distanced from home and family during the holidays. A pretty card, perhaps a extra couple of bucks, or a small pair of earrings from an appreciative guest ... these are all very welcome gestures of kindness.

Not harsh, just truthful and BTW it is Ms. Arizona.

It is really nice that you buy earings for the women crew members. No mention on what you buy the male crew members.

My point was that even though your earings don't take up any space, if you times that by the other passengers who give gifts that don't take up space, pretty soon there is a lot of space taken up by gifts.

I agree with you, a pretty card that contains cash is a wonderful gift, earings not so much.

Love it & thank you for your suggestions..

Love the little earrings idea, but unfortunately, Cozumel is our last stop in January, but small items such as a Generic telephone gift card or cash could be used anywhere, but I would still like to do it mid cruise around Charistmas or New Years..I've already made up my own thank you cards for the end of the cruise & will enclose cash in them..

Last comment on this subject:

MS. Arizona (my mistake): Since you seemed so concerned about my perceived neglect of male crew members, allow me to ease your mind. The few girls who receive earrings (if we stop in Cozumel), will find them inside the holiday card WITH a cash thank-you. The deserving boys receive an appropriate amount of cash, also in a card.

I think we've all learned that food and chocolate = bad ideas. Cards and cash = good ideas. But while a crew cabin is small, it isn't a broom closet. I can assure you that cash is preferred, but a small, special item will most likely be kept. And very, very few guests would do more than present a cash tip.

Nevertheless, bottom line, we should remember the question posed by the OP. Let's remember that our Holiday cruise staff are far away from home. Anything we can do to express our thanks as WE enjoy the cruise with our families is appreciated ... even if it's just a kind word.

Done.

Has anyone ever given prepaid cards from stores such as Walmart or other stores..

On many cruises we take the bus into town & if there is a Walmart we've often seen crew come back with lots of bags from Walmart..

Many crew don't get to go ashore, and many ports do NOT have a Walmart. Give cash. They can spend it anywhere, without worrying about whether a particular store is in that port, or having to take an hour bus ride to get to it or whatever.

Some holiday candy is always nice.

Not really. Many people just don't care for sweets, others may be diabetic or trying to watch their weight or whatever. I get sweet treats frequently as gift in my job. I always smile and thank them and gush over how delicious it looks and how I can't wait to indulge. Then I take it home and throw it in the trash.

I have never been to NZ but I can assure you that there approx. 15 to 20 Walmart stores in China..

Walmart has stores in about 25 different countries..We even found one in Africa when we were there..

And how many of those were in towns that served as a cruise port? And were easily accessible from the port for crew to get to?

I can assure you that the crew always gets to a Walmart store in many off shore places when we've cruised other lines..

Nope. Many crew do not even get to leave the ship. They usually don't get a day off, and their work schedules don't always give them the opportunity to take a break and go into port during port hours.

Maybe not, but consider that the average crew member works a 4-6 month contract, and then consider how many people suggest other gifts? I've seen threads where people insist on bringing hats or t-shirts from their state or local college or local sports team, numerous posts about bringing culinary treats from their state or country, chocolates, candy, and all many of other doo dads. Now throw in a pair of earrings. Individually, none of it takes up much space but all together it can take up a lot of room that crew simply don't have. Then there's the issue of personal preferences and style... you have no idea what style earrings someone may like, nor whether they have allergies (as I do) that prevent them from wearing earrings made of anything but gold.

Many crew don't get to go ashore, and many ports do NOT have a Walmart. Give cash. They can spend it anywhere, without worrying about whether a particular store is in that port, or having to take an hour bus ride to get to it or whatever.

Thank you ;).

Villauk..Oh I do know & understand that that not every country has a Walmart but they have over 10,000 stores in more than 25 different countries.. There may not be any in NZ but I know there are a quite a few in China, India & Japan.. We even found a couple in Africa.. I..

To the casual observer and shopper there might be a Walmart in 25 different countries etc etc etc, but are they the same legal business and therefore will gift cards brought in Umbazunda and loaded with 100 Umbazunda Sheckles be recognised by Walmart in Faroffland where the unit of currency is the Faroff Groat.

Even within the UK well known brands such as Marks and Spencer have stores at places like shopping outlets that operate as separate businesses and goods brought in one are not interchangeable with high street stores.

Just a general comment and not picking on AC - I am sure that you do realize that many of the crew members do not celebrate Christmas. For them, December 25 is no different than December 2 or June 3 as far as away from family loneliness.

DON

Exactly. We tend to assume that our dietary likes and our faith and public holidays are celebrated by all. This just is not the case. Why give someone something that will offend them or end up in the garbage?

Cash is king?

After all, that is why the staff is there in the first place. To earn money to send home to support their loved ones. Our waiter on our last Celebrity cruise was saving money to start his own tourist business in India. He wanted cash money. Candy would not have gone far with him.

Just a general comment and not picking on AC - I am sure that you do realize that many of the crew members do not celebrate Christmas. For them, December 25 is no different than December 2 or June 3 as far as away from family loneliness.

DON

Agree of course. However, when most passengers and even 1/3 of the staff are celebrating, it's hard not to affected by either being away from family or not being included. A holiday gift is acknowledgement that there is a celebration and its always nice to be included.