Beware of Doors

Mdamato2

My family returned 2 weeks ago from cruise on norwegion breakaway. We were traveling with my inlaws, got an upgrade, but were not given connecting rooms and our rooms were next to each other. My 9 year old went to open the door and when hevwas exiting the room the door slammed quickly on his elbow injuring him. After accident reports,photos of the door and medical treatment no one even contacted us to see if he was ok. I submitted a complaint when we hot home and no response. There should be some type of warning on these doors and ncl could use better customer service. Not impressed at all.

Holding and using the handle to close the door, as opposed to simply letting go and allowing the door to close on its own, is usually enough to prevent this type of injury. Teaching this method to children goes a long way toward ensuring they won't have to endure an injury like this.

Yep.. air pressure and flow form outside. Happens at our house if porch door is open too.

Maybe they should have followed up, but it was a common "mishap" like somebody tripping, or falling. Not really the fault of anyone. It just happens.

Also beware of stairs, pool decks, hand rails, wet balconies, spilled food in the buffet and of course, hot coffee.

My kids don't like it but I make them wear helmets, knee and elbow pads for the entire cruise.

p.s. If you eat the ice cream too fast you get brain freeze. ;p

My family returned 2 weeks ago from cruise on norwegion breakaway. We were traveling with my inlaws, got an upgrade, but were not given connecting rooms and our rooms were next to each other. My 9 year old went to open the door and when hevwas exiting the room the door slammed quickly on his elbow injuring him. After accident reports,photos of the door and medical treatment no one even contacted us to see if he was ok. I submitted a complaint when we hot home and no response. There should be some type of warning on these doors and ncl could use better customer service. Not impressed at all.
I'm not sure what you wanted from NCL. They took an accident report, gave medical treatment. If it would have been something that was NCL's fault, I could understand, but I don't see why there should be a follow-up by them in this case. I hope your son's arm is okay.

I guess I'm not quite sure what you're looking for here. It sounds like they did everything they needed to. This isn't the medical incident of the century or anything. There likely were many more worse things that happened that very cruise.

I submitted a complaint when we hot home and no response.

Was the complaint about the door or the lack of "see if he was ok"?

There's nothing wrong with the door based on what you have told us. If the balcony door is open and the stateroom door is opened on a moving ship, the wind will blow one way or the other. Physics is like that.

Im guessing you are not a mother and if you are see how you feel if something happens to your kid. Hopefully nobody kid will lose a finger in these doors.

The problem is this: if they adjust the doors not to slam when the balcony door is open and the wind is blowing, then there will be too much tension on the door closer for it to close completely when the balcony door is closed and no wind is blowing. Then, mothers and fathers who refuse to accept responsibility for their children will be upset because the door didn't close like it should and little Johnny wandered off out the door alone.

A little sign on the door isn't the worst idea I've heard of. Some doors do have warning signs about the raised threshold, heavy winds, and the sea doors on forward suites have signs about how heavy they are. Signs are nice, but they still require personal responsibility and a little intelligence on the part of the passenger. Wind blowing through the cabin and slamming the door shouldn't be that foreign of a concept to parents.

Ships at sea are fraught with danger. Vigilance is required at all times.

every NCL Ship I have been on with a balcony has had a warning in the room about this

Should NCL expect a 9 year old to read their contract ? Mom says "still NCL's fault".

Of course the 9 year old isn't expected to read the Freestyle Daily. Their guardian & protector is, though.

Stephen

Also beware of stairs, pool decks, hand rails, wet balconies, spilled food in the buffet and of course, hot coffee.

My kids don't like it but I make them wear helmets, knee and elbow pads for the entire cruise.

p.s. If you eat the ice cream too fast you get brain freeze. ;p

Best. CC. Response. Ever. :loudcry:

One thing that was not addressed and may explain why the OP is so upset. OP mentioned the son received medical treatment. I am guessing that was a $400 sling from the ship doc she got billed for. Perhaps she also got billed for damage to the door caused by the sons elbow.

One thing that was not addressed and may explain why the OP is so upset. OP mentioned the son received medical treatment. I am guessing that was a $400 sling from the ship doc she got billed for. Perhaps she also got billed for damage to the door caused by the sons elbow.

Ok so if a waiter spills hot food on a pax and they are burned does the pax get billed for medical treatment?

If the wind blows an object and it hits your head who pays medical?

If the ladder to the upper berth is loose and you fall and your ankle gets stuck and injured who pays?

These incidents are different from a pax running on deck and falling and breaking a bone or a pax having a heart attack

The door thing is a scenario that was addressed so maybe op should be paying but if ncl doesn't shut top decks down in time and wind blows an item into you and cuts you....well then you shouldn't be charged

Please don't say pax should have known it was windy....it's ncl responsibility to shut decks down in such cases

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This whole thread seems to reek of a kid bein a kid and things happening. It is part of growing up. Kids, especially boys get hurt. Only issue that I see here is that moms upset. Time to get over it, and stop bein a helicopter.

Ok so if a waiter spills hot food on a pax and they are burned does the pax get billed for medical treatment?

If the wind blows an object and it hits your head who pays medical?

If the ladder to the upper berth is loose and you fall and your ankle gets stuck and injured who pays?

These incidents are different from a pax running on deck and falling and breaking a bone or a pax having a heart attack

The door thing is a scenario that was addressed so maybe op should be paying but if ncl doesn't shut top decks down in time and wind blows an item into you and cuts you....well then you shouldn't be charged

Please don't say pax should have known it was windy....it's ncl responsibility to shut decks down in such cases

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was actually trying to be sarcastic but I guess it did not work. The OP seems to still be mad at NCL when they did nothing wrong. There is notification in the dailies, there are warnings in rooms with balconies to be careful of wind gusts when the balcony and room door are both open, etc. It was an accident and I am sorry the child was injured but it was an ACCIDENT. It was not NCL's fault and if it was anyone's fault it was the families for not being careful with both doors being open. Not saying it was intentional at all but this was not a defect on behalf of NCL or improper maintenance or hurricane winds. They took her report and gave the child medical attention. They absolutely owe her nothing else.

Did OP ever say both balcony and other door were open at the same time? I never saw that. The real truth is that the doors close automatically and are heavy, even on an inside cabin.

Did OP ever say both balcony and other door were open at the same time? I never saw that. The real truth is that the doors close automatically and are heavy, even on an inside cabin.

As others have said, that is why you should use the door handles. Even as you said, the doors are heavy and close automatically, this did not happen on arrival o the boat. They knew this and should have been aware. This is not something that "broke" or was "damaged" and caused the injury. It was not NCL's fault and the OP seems to want something more than what NCL provided. The OP did not seem to show any personal responsibility for the accident. It was apparently all NCL's fault and that is my issues and some others issue with the post. Nobody wants to see anyone get injured but when it happens, it does does mean it is the fault of the cruise line.

This is NOT NCL's fault. Every ship I have been on with my kids, I have always told them to be careful with the doors. Some are heavy and the wind tunnel can suck them closed. My 3 kids have gotten slightly hurt with this same issue over the years. **** happens. This happens on ALL cruise ships! Some balcony doors even have a warning on them.

For something(the door) that is used many times during the day there should be more of a warning about them, whatever that warning may be.

Since the door is used many times a day, one would think folks would know after the first opening to use caution.