Gratuities on Comped Beverages

jasm8449

As an Elite Plus I am entitled to 3 drinks at cocktail time and complimentary coffees and tea at Al Bacio. Unlike drink packages (which I don't use), gratuities are not included. I am interested in what other Elite Plus passengers without drink packages do about tips in these circumstances?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We go to the Elite cocktail hour occoasionally, and I have never noticed anyone peeling off dollar bills for the waiters or the bartenders. I think people who do that every night are in a small minority. I have noticed many people, including us, doing their extra tipping on the last night though.

As an Elite Plus I am entitled to 3 drinks at cocktail time and complimentary coffees and tea at Al Bacio. Unlike drink packages (which I don't use), gratuities are not included. I am interested in what other Elite Plus passengers without drink packages do about tips in these circumstances?

You are NOT entitled to 3 drinks as a perk of Elite Plus. The three drinks is only done when you are on a cruise with a lot of Elites that can't be accommodated in the Elite Cocktail party. That is done as the last resort. The cocktail party is the default and the three drinks is the last resort.

We go to the Elite cocktail hour occoasionally, and I have never noticed anyone peeling off dollar bills for the waiters or the bartenders. I think people who do that every night are in a small minority. I have noticed many people, including us, doing their extra tipping on the last night though.

We are the few then, we sit at the bar during Elite cocktail hours, get to know the bartender, tip every night, our bar stools are always available to us, as the bartender usually makes our drinks prior to us arriving. We very rarely go to the cocktail events now, as we usually have drink package and get our drinks from any bar. This time we have a suite, so Michael's club will be our go venue.

You are NOT entitled to 3 drinks as a perk of Elite Plus. The three drinks is only done when you are on a cruise with a lot of Elites that can't be accommodated in the Elite Cocktail party. That is done as the last resort. The cocktail party is the default and the three drinks is the last resort.

Dkjretired - I'm the OP. Should clarify that we only sail transatlantic in past few years.

Glad you've not noticed...that means folks are being discreet. :D We've done both the little bit every night and the tip at the end. Unless we know we'll go every night, we don't want to leave a chance and forget someone at the end.

But we are also that apparently rare bird that attends the Elite Cocktail Party even if we have the drink package- the room is nice, often with nice folks, so why not?

Glad you've not noticed...that means folks are being discreet. :D We've done both the little bit every night and the tip at the end. Unless we know we'll go every night, we don't want to leave a chance and forget someone at the end.

But we are also that apparently rare bird that attends the Elite Cocktail Party even if we have the drink package- the room is nice, often with nice folks, so why not?

Yes, you're all being really discreet! Much better than I could manage. I don't like having to carry cash around, so I just make a point of doing the rounds on the last night for anyone who's getting a bit extra.

We always get the drinks package these days too, but as you say, we meet lots of really nice people at the Cocktail Hour.

I always have the Premium Beverage package, courtesy of my travel agent. I still like going to the Elite cocktail hour. I order my premium drink (usually Johnny Walker Black or Stoli Elite) from the server, give him my card with a couple of dollars and it is discreet. He remembers it each evening and appreciates the gesture.

Before leaving the cabin to go to the event, I just stick a few bills ($1 & $5's) in my pocket for evening tips.

DH and I are Elite. On our last two sailings we have enjoyed the Elite Cocktail Party AND have had the 3 drink chits on our Sea Pass cards. Neither of these were Transatlantic crossings. The cocktail parties weren't well attended at all. The choices available for drinks is extremely limited - and IMHO, those that are leave something to be desired. RCCL offers a better selection of alcohol and the bartenders much more creative in what they allow to be served.

Discreet tipping is easily done.

Yes, we had a couple of cruises where we had the same waiter in the Captain Club event for most of the week. I knew where he usually worked so last night found him and gave him a $20. It was worth it for nice drinks and some that were not on the menu. This was before drink packages were given out so freely.