Specialty restaurant reservations question

augies

I was trying to book a specialty restaurant for our January 2018 cruise on the Royal. The only time slots available for everyday are 5:30, 7:30 or 9:30. Is this normal? I wanted Sabatinis or Crown Grill at 6:30 for any day. Is it possible they are really completely booked or does the website only offer 3 times?

Thanks for your help.

Not sure, but I would suspect it's a matter of scheduling tables. Looks like they want to turn the tables every two hours, ie, three parties at each table. If they schedule your preferred time of 630, then that would block that table for two two hour blocks. IOW, they could only seat two parties at that table. Yours at 630 and another at 830 instead of one at 530, one at 730 and another at 930.

I was trying to book a specialty restaurant for our January 2018 cruise on the Royal. The only time slots available for everyday are 5:30, 7:30 or 9:30. Is this normal? I wanted Sabatinis or Crown Grill at 6:30 for any day. Is it possible they are really completely booked or does the website only offer 3 times?

Thanks for your help.

Yes it's normal. Has nothing to do with being overbooked. Online booking only offers those time slots. Otherwise once onboard it may be next to impossible to get in.

If you want a different time book onboard.

I don't favor pre booking at all.

Those are the only times that I've seen available to pre-reserve by paying in advance for specialty restaurants & other times are saved for passengers who make a reservation onboard.

That was my experience in January & we were able to make reservations on the ship to use OBC to pay for it. I know that we can use OBC to make advance tour reservations but unfortunately don't think that's an option for pre-reserving specialty restaurants.

Thanks everyone. I think I will wait until we are onboard.

Another excellent reason to wait until you're onboard is that you won't know what activity/entertainment will be happening if you book ahead of time.

If you wait, you can organize your special dinner around other activities that you might want to do.;)

You can book it on line and then modify it when you get on board. If you wait till you get on board you may get shut out totally. Just book a time you could live with if there was no alternative times available.

Just curious........

With your reasoning how could one change from a pre booked time slot to a time slot that is not available onboard?

There are more time slots then those listed on the pre booking list. you can book as early as 5:30 once on board, you can book at 6:00 or 6:30 or whatever you want PROVIDEd it is available. We have been shut out completely (unless you call 9:30 a good time) for certain days because we were too late even trying on the first day.