3yr old falls from balcony on Carnival

pedirn

All the security devices in the world aren't going to help if the parents don't use them, so what good is providing a pamphlet instructing someone what they should be doing?

That's true. I recall one particular cruise and not too far after muster drill where it was drilled into everyone's mind not to allow children to sit on the railing even if you're holding them. What did I see? A man allowing his child to sit on the railing and he was holding onto the child. So, people do not listen nor do they read instructions. The cruise line will do whatever it takes to control what they can and to protect themselves from bad publicity and lawsuits.

How do these kids actually make it to adulthood at home when there's no one around to warn them of each & every danger?

My point is that responsible adults do not have to be told of every danger in the world to watch for.

It does take some common sense which those parents seem to have a lack of, at least on a cruise ship.

It is heartening to see you are so perfect. Unfortunately, not everyone is, so ACCIDENTS do happen.

i think there is a balance to be found, something to call out and explain the safety features seems appropriate. kids are super unpredictable and even on vacation require vigilance, but no amount of paperwork or safety briefings will help the people who just aren't willing to pay pay attention. on the flipside, things can happen fast and even those paying attention can have tragedy strike. there is no one size fits all solution.

i work in a tourist destination and it always astounds, truthfully now it just annoys me, me how people just walk out into the street against the lights and almost get hit by a car. being on vacation doesn't magically mean the laws don't apply to you. you have to be just as vigilant on vacation as you are in real life.

It is heartening to see you are so perfect. Unfortunately, not everyone is, so ACCIDENTS do happen.

Yes they do. We see it here in Florida every year where people leave access to their pools for the kiddies to drown in.

If you lived in a high rise apartment would you leave your window open so the kids could play near them? :confused:

Cruise ship balconies - same thing.

Maybe the parents should take some responsibility upon themselves for a change instead of depending upon others to give them warning.

i

i work in a tourist destination and it always astounds, truthfully now it just annoys me, me how people just walk out into the street against the lights and almost get hit by a car. being on vacation doesn't magically mean the laws don't apply to you. you have to be just as vigilant on vacation as you are in real life.

You are so right. When I was young, my friends and I would travel on a cruise, and my then TA would tell us not to have a vacation attitude. Meaning everything is happy happy and let our guard down. It was good advice. I remember we we going to Bermuda and the TA said to us. "Don't get on a scooter". Because we never rode one before. He had one of his clients crash

You are so right. When I was young, my friends and I would travel on a cruise, and my then TA would tell us not to have a vacation attitude. Meaning everything is happy happy and let our guard down. It was good advice. I remember we we going to Bermuda and the TA said to us. "Don't get on a scooter". Because we never rode one before. He had one of his clients crash

You pay your money and take your chances.

The problem is that where children are concerned is that they cannot realistically be expected to look after their own safety,it is down to the parents. Where this is so and an accident occurs they tend to look round to blame someone else, such as the cruise line. If difficult to spot hazards which are unique to cruising may be identified,it is prudent to point them out, firstly to prevent an accident happening and secondly to stop a successful legal case being brought against the cruise line or expensive equipment becoming necessary.

There have been cases in the past where for example a passenger has fallen off the ship because they were trying to see the sea where it came in contact with the side of the ship and toppled into the sea. Her complaint was that it took the ship ninety minutes to retrieve her from the sea. Her assertion was that an automatic man over board alarm should be fitted to all cruise ships to alert immediately when people fall into the sea. I prefer a system of warnings and education which if you ignore could be tragic but all reasonable steps have been taken and the cruise line need do no more. You cannot have cruise ship design and facilities influenced by the actions of people who are behaving ridiculously badly.

Regards John

I guess there r perfect parents on this thread.........or maybe u just had perfect children that you kept locked up.....:D

As others have stated accidents happened.....you can plan, educate and prepare for every possibility and still children and adults whatever age do the unexpected.........and when it does compassion should be first.....then people can assign blame or accept it as an accident.

I pulled a 2 year old out of our pool a few years back......he had walked 1/8 mile and crossed 3 streets at 4pm in the afternoon, he entered our opened garage, opened our side garage door walked quite a ways to access our pool in the backyard which was fenced...only thru the grace of God did I hear the splash from my bedroom and looked outside seeing something struggling underwater in our pool. After pulling him out..I went out in front of my home assuming a parent or sibling would be out on the street but no one was there.......

Edited by land lover

When we were on this ship I remember not liking the design of having the deck below the balconies, but in this case it was a lucky thing that she didn't fall into the water.

They usually don't find people that fall into the water, even during daytime. At night when no one's around you chances are rescued to practically zero.

They usually don't find people that fall into the water, even during daytime. At night when no one's around you chances are rescued to practically zero.

A friend of mine was on the Golden Princess as he was going into the dining room. A guy jump off the ship in less then 40 minutes he was back on the ship in hand-cuffs.

Tony