3yr old falls from balcony on Carnival

pedirn

Not sure this will post as I have trouble cut/pasting on IPad. Also not sure if previously posted. A 3 yr old fell off the balcony to deck below on Carnival Breeze and was air lifted to the hospital. Doesn't say what injuries she sustained. I wonder who was watching this child as climbing the rails must have taken place.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/child-airlifted-from-carnival-ship-based-out-of-galveston/462232767

And at 2:30 in the morning. Going to guess they left their cabin balcony door open, The 3 year old then climbed onto a chair next to the railing and then went over for some reason. Preventable accident.

The video in this ABC story said it happened in the afternoon & the medevac helicopter picked up the mother & child at 0230. The child reportedly fell one level & sustained facial injuries.

http://abc13.com/toddler-airlifted-from-carnival-cruise-that-left-galveston/2279347/

Passenger photos of the medevac operation show that not all passengers avoided the pick up area. Hopefully they were smart enough to turn off their flash which could endanger the rescue helicopter's crew.

Lacking additional details none of us know the complete circumstances which may or may not be eventually disclosed. A lack of parental control would appear to be a factor but I'm waiting for additional details before formulating my opinion.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On another thread (NOT sure if it's true or where info. came from), but it was stated that the grandmother was watching the child. The child got away from the grandmother too fast. Grandmother just couldn't keep up with the 3 yr. old.

That sounds like a plausible scenario...fearless inquisitive toddlers can move very fast in the blink of an eye.

"The young girl was in stable condition after the accident and was airlifted to Tampa "as a precaution," the Carnival spokesperson added".

That sounds like a plausible scenario...fearless inquisitive toddlers can move very fast in the blink of an eye.

"The young girl was in stable condition after the accident and was airlifted to Tampa "as a precaution," the Carnival spokesperson added".

Not if the balcony door is closed and locked. The girl had to get through the door, onto the balcony, up on a chair and then up on the rail to fall.

Not if the balcony door is closed and locked. The girl had to get through the door, onto the balcony, up on a chair and then up on the rail to fall.

We don't know all of the facts and may never have them but grandma & granddaughter could have been enjoying the balcony when it happened.

Some people are too quick to place blame before all of the facts are known. I prefer to wait for facts before objectively forming an opinion about any situation & won't jump to conclusions based merely on speculation.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was on the ship and it happened right outside where we were at trivia about 3 in the afternoon. I didn't see her fall but shortly after. Being a nurse I ran out when I heard the medic code and the child was screaming and thrashing around. Someone was already around her head and they were trying to calm her. I asked if they wanted me to help before the Dr. got there and was emphatically told NO. She appeared to be older, maybe 6? Many rumors on the ship but someone said she was playing in the chairs on the balcony and fell head first. They made an announcement that the Coast Guard Helicopter was coming for an evacuation and this was about 8 hrs. later.

I was on the ship and it happened right outside where we were at trivia about 3 in the afternoon. I didn't see her fall but shortly after. Being a nurse I ran out when I heard the medic code and the child was screaming and thrashing around. Someone was already around her head and they were trying to calm her. I asked if they wanted me to help before the Dr. got there and was emphatically told NO. She appeared to be older, maybe 6? Many rumors on the ship but someone said she was playing in the chairs on the balcony and fell head first. They made an announcement that the Coast Guard Helicopter was coming for an evacuation and this was about 8 hrs. later.

This is a harsh thought/question. You said you were on this cruise. Did this happen on the last day when you were coming into port? Or did this happen early in the cruise and the ship turned around and went back to port? I'm asking, because I am wondering if everyone was told to leave the ship and thus leave their trip/vacation. I KNOW ... a child is hurt and in the hospital. But I was wondering how it impacted the other cruisers.

From a news report at http://www.11alive.com/news/child-airlifted-from-carnival-ship-based-out-of-galveston/462287407

A young girl was airlifted to the hospital after falling from a balcony on board the Carnival Breeze cruise ship.The ship sailed from Galveston to the Bahamas and was on the way back to Texas when the child was injured.

The ship has resumed its journey and should arrive back in Galveston on Sunday.

This is a harsh thought/question. You said you were on this cruise. Did this happen on the last day when you were coming into port? Or did this happen early in the cruise and the ship turned around and went back to port? I'm asking, because I am wondering if everyone was told to leave the ship and thus leave their trip/vacation. I KNOW ... a child is hurt and in the hospital. But I was wondering how it impacted the other cruisers.

The accident happened on Friday afternoon and the Coast Guard helicopter came about 8 hrs. later in the evening. An announcement was made earlier before the evacuation that the ship would divert towards Clearwater Fl so the evacuation could take place. (in mid air) The ship never docked. We were on the first of two sea days heading back from Nassau to Galveston. It had no impact on our scheduled return. However, after the announcement was made there was a very noticeable somberness that came over the passengers. The area where it happened was also blocked off with caution tape for their investigation. Prayers go out to this little child and her family. It about broke my heart as I saw her screaming on the ground as her mother watched also.

no one intends for their child to be grievously hurt like this. accidents happen. keep in mind there is a hurt child and family dealing with this. some of the comments are very harsh

Could you point me to the comments that are "harsh?" I did not read one harsh comment on this thread. Don't go asking a mod to close the thread either. This is another thread that needs to be discussed because we all have children and grandchildren. There's another thread here about a young man jumping off a railing and into a pool. It's a normal thing to ask where the parents were. We don't know all the details and we may never know them.

I wonder if Carnival will make it a policy, no children under a certain age can be booked in a balcony suite? The parents are very lucky, and the child too. My heart sank listening to the reporter.

This would be excessively draconian. A leaflet to parents might work better exposing the dangers to newcomers. On every modern ship there is a bolt situated very high up to prevent the door from opening. It is too high for children to reach and gain access to the balcony alone. When travelling with children parents simply need a set of rules. The bolt should be locked and checked by parents throughout the day after steward has been. No children are allowed on the balcony unsupervised. If you are on the balcony sole supervisor of a child and you need the toilet for example, child needs to vacate balcony. You bolt it and then later all can return to balcony. It's not difficult, just need to be pedantic and assess safety as you cruise.

Many balcony falls would lead to a MOB emergency usually fatal thankfully this incident did not turn out tragic.

Regards John

All the security devices in the world aren't going to help if the parents don't use them, so what good is providing a pamphlet instructing someone what they should be doing?

Parents who are new to cruising may not be aware of some of the inherent dangers associated with this type of holiday and indeed be aware the security devices which are fitted to the doors to help with safety. The same applies to many hazards unique to cruising; no lifeguards at the pool etc. and in this respect the children's club should help in warning parents. In this respect a cruise line has gone as far as it can in it's safety responsibility. At the end of the day if parents choose to ignore well thought out guidance from the cruise line in regarding safety and allow their children to have a serious accident or fatality it is down to the parents. At least they cannot say nobody told us about this problem.

Regards John

Parents who are new to cruising may not be aware of some of the inherent dangers associated with this type of holiday and indeed be aware the security devices which are fitted to the doors to help with safety. The same applies to many hazards unique to cruising; no lifeguards at the pool etc. and in this respect the children's club should help in warning parents. In this respect a cruise line has gone as far as it can in it's safety responsibility. At the end of the day if parents choose to ignore well thought out guidance from the cruise line in regarding safety and allow their children to have a serious accident or fatality it is down to the parents. At least they cannot say nobody told us about this problem.

Regards John

How do these kids actually make it to adulthood at home when there's no one around to warn them of each & every danger?

My point is that responsible adults do not have to be told of every danger in the world to watch for.

It does take some common sense which those parents seem to have a lack of, at least on a cruise ship.