Wondering how soon to book next cruise!

nhtravels

We just booked our first cruise since 2006. (NCL Escape Eastern Caribbean on 11/4/17, booked 92 days before departure as a family trip with 4 cabins and possibly 2 more). The first 3 (and only other) cruises I have ever done were before early 2006 and were incentive trips.

I really think we are going to love cruising. We typically vacation 3 times a year (Bahamas 1 week, Disney 1 week and a random place for the 3rd).

How soon should I book for 2018 and do I stay with NCL? Should I wait until after the 11/4 cruise to see if we like NCL or bounce around?

Love this board. I'm getting so much info for our 15-17 person trip in November!

Just some ideas to consider - - -

Is you goal to cruise for the cruise or port/destination/route ?

Does everyone in your group have the same affinity relationship for cruising port/destination/route ?

Do you want your group of 15-17 to be in same deck area on the ship - then book early ?

If so maybe you want to consider adjoining cabins that being possible ?

If working with a TA or directly with NCL see about the possibility of a multiple cabin discount booking ?

Also consider the perks and promos available with an advanced booking ?

Perks and Promos UBP SDP Internet OBC etc AND especially 3-4 guests travel free ?

After your next cruise come back to the NCL website and review any "Insider Offers" that may enhance your plans !

Become a frequent reader and participant of CC programs to get the best deal.

Once booked consider participation with the Roll Call and Meet & Greet of your cruise.

For us it has always been best to book as soon as we know when and where we want to go. If prices increase, we are happy we booked early, but if prices decrease before final payment we have rebooked at great savings. Recently saved $360 on an inside cabin booked on RCCL for April, 2019 by calling and rescheduling same cabin.

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking the 2018 cruise might just be DH and myself. Two of our children will be married by then (one this weekend and one in May) and the last one is engaged as well.

May be time for a vacation, just the two of us! Now it's time to start researching ports of call! I do know we want to do Alaska at some point, but not next year.

So many places to see -:)

We always book as soon as we have an inkling we want to go. Then we cancel/rebook as often as needed until final payment. Better to lock things in as early as possible as opposed to missing out on a good deal, good cabin, etc. You can always change if better deals become available.

with most cruise lines, you can book way in advance and always cancel if you change your mind.

Personally, we rarely book more than 6-9 months out. We have never run into an issue of getting a cabin we like (or don't like) so that is not a reason for us to book way in advance.

Will you like NCL? Hard to say.

Alaska - go for it. No reason to wait. In fact, I would tend to go sooner than later if this global warming thing continues.

We just booked our first cruise since 2006. (NCL Escape Eastern Caribbean on 11/4/17, booked 92 days before departure as a family trip with 4 cabins and possibly 2 more). The first 3 (and only other) cruises I have ever done were before early 2006 and were incentive trips.

I really think we are going to love cruising. We typically vacation 3 times a year (Bahamas 1 week, Disney 1 week and a random place for the 3rd).

How soon should I book for 2018 and do I stay with NCL? Should I wait until after the 11/4 cruise to see if we like NCL or bounce around?

Love this board. I'm getting so much info for our 15-17 person trip in November!

My opinion is that since your booked cruise is soon, wait until after that and if you liked it book a new cruise as soon as possible.

We were on our first MSC cruise a few weeks ago and we loved it so much so we have already booked a new MSC cruise for March 2019.

I suggest buying a Cruise Next certificate on board in November and booking it on board too. The staff on board are fabulous and really want to help plan their passengers' trips. And one certificate is good for $100 in on board credit. That alone is worth it!

suggest buying a Cruise Next certificate on board in November and booking it on board too. The staff on board are fabulous and really want to help plan their passengers' trips. And one certificate is good for $100 in on board credit. That alone is worth it!

Beware there is no real OBC. Your folio will be debited $250 and then credited $100 so what you are actually paying is $150 for $250 worth of travel. The $100 does NOT have to be spent as OBC. It is a figment of NCLs imagination in the hope you will spend it!!

When we decide on places to go, we find the cruise line that has the route to meet our needs. We book immediately after to get the preferred cabin we want, even if it is still a year out.

That is what we do as well. Itinerary is primary.

Then we book it -- as soon as I've crunched numbers to make sure we'll have the funds for it. :D

• 1 month later...

I book as soon as I find cruise I want. I use TA, so as if there's a price change, she's right on it. My next cruise is sold out. It was closed 3 weeks after I booked. If trips are in demand, new ports, or in season, they'll sell fast. If you live near a port, then last minute would work sometimes. They want a full ship & will sometimes cut a deal. Personally, I usually book while on cruise. Most lines do a really great on board promo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since your cruise is coming up in Nov, I would suggest booking on board---or you can just buy the future cruise certificates. You will pay with your on board account, but you get OBC on the cruise you are on along with the ability to book X # of future cruises (and I think something thrown in if you specifically book while on board). If you are booking in advance with the future cruise certificates, many times the cruise line specials allow you to use 2 certificates on a single cruise---read the fine print, though. By booking on board, you have the opportunity to check out if you are compatible with NCL. (Please note, I am a planner, so I usually book as soon as cruises are open...waiting for 2019 now. Sorry I missed the MSC Seaside premier!) You are probably behind the power curve on 2018, but a lot of that depends upon how many people you are trying to get together. Just a single room would probably be no issue. Visit the Latitudes Cruise Next desk when on board (and if you really want to have something in mind, go ahead and research on the web site prior to embarking!) Bit of advice; make an appointment with the Latitudes folks, it can get very crowded.....so if you want to see how the cruise goes for you first, make the appointment for later in the cruise, but make it on the first day. I hope you have a MAHVELOUS time!