imessage

JLCMOM

I just read in another thread that imessage works and is free on board. Really, is that true? I was planning on downloading the iconcierge app to be able to text and check in with our group on board, but if imessage works and is free we will just use that...

I just read in another thread that imessage works and is free on board. Really, is that true? I was planning on downloading the iconcierge app to be able to text and check in with our group on board, but if imessage works and is free we will just use that...

You might want to go back to that other thread and ask which ship they were on. Seems this is happening on some but not all ships. And some people have said it is a glitch and should not be free. (which is why they SELL internet access)

Just came back from the Epic and iMessages works absolutely fine to other iPhones onboard and back home !

The correct answer is maybe. NCL does not intend for you to be able to iMessage for free when connected to the 'free' version of the internet (ie what iconcierge uses). However, on some ships, sometimes it does, as a glitch in the ship's system.

On some ships it works more reliably than others - but it certainly isn't intended so if it's not working for you, don't go to the Internet cafe and complain.

We cruised on the jade in Jan. I had an iPhone and we stayed connected because we did pay for the i concierge texting feature. I had an occasional iMessage come through or transmit out randomly. I also had an occasional App notification go through. But certainly not often enough that I would count on being able to communicate through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might want to go back to that other thread and ask which ship they were on. Seems this is happening on some but not all ships. And some people have said it is a glitch and should not be free. (which is why they SELL internet access)

Other thread said breakaway, which I will be sailing on as well... this was the first I heard of this and was shocked. We had full intentions of downloading and purchasing the app for texting on board, but might hold off on paying to find out if iMessage works...

It worked flawlessly for us on our Breakaway cruise in June, but we know better than to rely on it. It certainly isn't promised by NCL. It did, however, come in handy for staying in contact with friends and family back home.

Just jumping onto this one....how can imessage work if you dont pay for ships wifi? Do you connect to wifi i.e - settings-wifi-choose a network-(assume ships name) Then hope for the best you have connected? We will be cruising with our 3 kids on Epic in October...they all have iphones...if we did the iconceige would I have to pay for each device to send/receive messages? That woulf be 4 devices...ive read that could be anyything from $9.99 up to $15.99 per device...Like others have said ill see if I can send an imessage before paying for the iConcierge.

Just jumping onto this one....how can imessage work if you dont pay for ships wifi? Do you connect to wifi i.e - settings-wifi-choose a network-(assume ships name) Then hope for the best you have connected? We will be cruising with our 3 kids on Epic in October...they all have iphones...if we did the iconceige would I have to pay for each device to send/receive messages? That woulf be 4 devices...ive read that could be anyything from $9.99 up to $15.99 per device...Like others have said ill see if I can send an imessage before paying for the iConcierge.

I don't know the technicalities behind it, but it has long been the case that notifications etc have slipped through when you are connected to the ships wifi, without having paid anything. It is common to get notifications coming up. In fact I can't remember the last time that I didn't get such things being received.

It is usually just the notification that comes through. For example, I usually get Facebook notifications coming through, but if I want to actually see the post then I need to log onto the internet to read it.

I also very often get iMessage notifications coming in. However, I have never been able to send any out without being online. It seems that on some ships, and at some times, this is possible. It seemed to be a bit more common a few months ago, and I assume that it is to do with the setup for the new tiered internet access that is being introduced. Whether they are just testing things, or whether it's a bug I don't know.

You may be lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. If you were going on the Breakaway in the next few weeks then it sounds like you have a good chance. However, I would point out that I have been in the position where I have been receiving notifications without being online on quite a few cruises now, over the past three years I'd guess, and not once have I been able to send an iMessage. That includes being on the Epic, and I don't recall anyone else reporting being able to do so on that ship.

We don't know how iMessage can work if you don't pay for ship's wifi. We only know that it does, at least on Breakaway. (I'm sure it's not supposed to.) Yes, you connect to the ship's wifi, just like you would for iConcierge. I've not heard of it working on Epic, so I'd be prepared to pay for the iConcierge, which works fine. Make sure your kids know that they sometimes have to open the app to manually check for messages. They do not always reliably pop up on the screen like regular text/iMessages do.

Worked on Escape last September. Not sure if it still does or not, but interested in hearing as I'm sailing next month. If not, I believe they sell just a "social" internet package now that is cheaper? I'd be okay with paying that if the iMessage glitch was fixed on the Escape.

Yes. You can go to your wifi and connect to the ship's wifi system for free. You'll set up an account with your room number also. This is so you can use iconcierge features without purchasing an internet plan. When you try to open internet explorer it will take you to a log in page where you can agree to pay per minute or purchase an internet plan. If you never click to 'log in' through the internet explorer you'll be 'connected' to wifi but not actually have internet access. More along the lines of intranet. But on some ships this connection is sufficient to use certain apps, like iMessage.

We had 3 phones and were on a 10 day cruise. The cost was $10 per phone to use the iconcierge messaging feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ability to get iMessage for free is a glitch in NCL's wifi. Use it and enjoy it while the glitch exists. While it has been that way for a while, NCL is not known to give away services and someday soon it may go away (e.g. As they refine and roll out tiered services which filters on protocols).